• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Return of the Native: another '52 with Glaser/Urban tailpiece

blauserk

It took over two years, but I finally got my '52 back from having some repairs made. In the process, I had a Glaser/Urban tailpiece put on it. Boy, what a transformation! It's in place rock solid and plays as well as any Les Paul I've ever played.

This not only saved this guitar from a neck reset (although I probably would've just gone with Kim's shaved ABR/trapeze solution); it also saved the original frets. I was seriously thinking of a refret, but the guitar sets up so nicely with the new bridge that it's eminently playable even with these little things.

As I indicated in the thread on Ed A's '53 (http://www.lespaulforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=140780), I've been looking for such a solution for a couple of years. Very pleased that it is finally a reality.

Thumbs up. Spread the word! No need to butcher your '52s anymore to make 'em playable!

Before:
top_1.jpg

After:

IMG_1056.JPG

MWR

Awesome! The price of these guitars are going to go up with this increased playability. :jim

blauserk

?

What took two year?

Turning this:

normal_detail_1.jpg

into, well, something better than that. Also filled and touched up the four holes drilled in the top left by people putting on various ABR-1-type tailpieces. (Look under the trapeze bar in the first photo.)

surfreak

Indeed the new tailpiece now makes it playable, but what about intonation?

access

I had often wondered about this as well.

Also does it feel 'rickenbackery' with the shallow neck angle?

I haven't had the opportunity to play a stocker pre-53 before.

SuperReal

That looks like a fine guitar! And the bridge/tailpiece is cool....wish somebody had figured that out a long time ago.

I have a '52. Without a doubt, the best sounding and playing solidbody I've ever had. I had my neck reset because the guitar was getting refinished anyway, but played it a lot before. Nothing at all wrong with the shallow neck angle, as long as it has the right bridge. In no way has it ever resembled a Rickenbacker!

I would imagine the intonation accuracy would be about the same as a stoptail? That's plenty good for me....

buyusfear

If you look closely, the bridge is actually shaped and has a ridge much like an acoustic guitars saddle.
intonations should be balls on.

I had often wondered about this as well.

Also does it feel 'rickenbackery' with the shallow neck angle?

I haven't had the opportunity to play a stocker pre-53 before.

The neck angle hasn't changed, nor has the action, just the manor in which the strings are loaded.

I would assume that the guitar feels just as slinky or tight as all other trap goldtops, with similar neck angles?

zorglub!

Burst Detective!
Is this a trend that Keith Urban has started, or was anybody else using it before him?

buyusfear

Is this a trend that Keith Urban has started, or was anybody else using it before him?

The first time I ever saw that bridge being used was when i posted this video several years back.http://www.lespaulforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=140190&highlight=keith+urban+trapeze

Back then, I wasn't even aware of the mod until it was pointed out to me.

And then Kim chimed in and informed us that Jo was the one who had done the mod.

Ever since, it has been referred to as the Keith urban/glasier mod.

Now, I have never seen anyone discuss this mod prior to this discovery; however, some claim that they have been doing this to guitars for years. So Who's to say.
Keith was the first to show that this mod could hold it's own at a mainstream level.

JIMI55LP

TW has posted photos of a friends 52' with the original bar setback and a smaller forward mounted aluminium bar with string grooves and adjustable feet for years now to show non intrusive reversable conversion is possible, and I believe it was before the Glazer bar was made for Urban. I do like the Joe Glazer bar most since it has the groove along top for proper intonation, very smart design for an easy reversable conversion!

butcher

I made a brass one in 2002:

2002back.jpg

2002front.jpg

another brass one in 2005:

2005back.jpg

2005front.jpg

an aluminum one in 2009:

2009back.jpg

2009front.jpg

and one made from an original steel bridge in 2010:

2010back.jpg

2010front.jpg

blauserk

It sounds great; no perceptible issues to my ear. On an electronic tuner, the the low E and A are a few "cents" flat at the 12th fret (which doesn't bother me much; I mostly play the skinnier strings in the upper register). But all the other strings are spot on.

Tom Wittrock

Les Paul Forum Co-Owner
There was a replacement tailpiece for 52 GTs made back in the 80's if I recall correctly. :ganz

And the one my friend had made was adjustable for height, and each string had an adjustable saddle.
Much more complicated than the Glaser one, but with more options. :)

butcher

Very cool work, butcher.

Thanks zorglub!
These bridges look a bit unrefined, but they are very effective, and combined with the trapeze and the solid mounted p90s produce a tone that in my opinion comes closest to what Lester William Polsfuss was seeking.
(And they're very playable).

zorglub!

Burst Detective!
Thanks zorglub!
These bridges look a bit unrefined, but they are very effective, and combined with the trapeze and the solid mounted p90s produce a tone that in my opinion comes closest to what Lester William Polsfuss was seeking.
(And they're very playable).

wow, you have been a member for more than 7 years and you only have 9 posts... that's a whole new definition for lurker :wow