• THIS IS THE 25th ANNIVERSARY YEAR FOR THE LES PAUL FORUM! PLEASE CELEBRATE WITH US AND SUPPORT US WITH A DONATION TO KEEP US GOING! We've made a large financial investment to convert the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and now have to move to a new host. We also have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!
  • WE ARE MOVING THE LES PAUL FORUM TO A NEW HOSTING PROVIDER OVER THE NEXT 5-10 DAYS. We will experience downtime during that period. Please be patient and have confidence that we will return! Many thanks, Mike Slubowski, Admin

best replica of Gibson no wire ABR1 ??

A-tony

I need a no wire ABR1 for a '59 Historic whats the best replica out there ?? I need exact materials, tooling, tolerances etc
I dig my 50th R9 original gibson one but I cannot buy another one :-( so Im looking for the best replica, buying the Gibson Custom Shop aftermarket ABR1 and removing the wire its not the same as in my 50th R9 saddles are well in they dont come out easily while on the Custom Shop one if you remove the wire saddles unfortunetely comes out by themselves
thanks for any suggestion

A-tony

I saw that one... good but Im fearing the plating of Pigtail wont match all the other stuff on a Historic...

sidekick

Op... Why not? Don't Pigtail offer both new and relic'd.

Pigtail are generally reckoned the best ABR-1 retro bridge.

BTW... There were some Gibson no-wire ABR-1 bridges on on USA eBay recently.

A-tony

Ive read here that PT nickel is darker and get blackening over time...

sidekick

That might be so on some their 'relic'd' version. Probably not on the 'un-aged'.

Pigtails are so tight on tolerances, that, (on the one's I've had) it is really difficult to even swop a saddle around.

The original late 50's no-wire ABR-1 bridge saddles got really loose over time and if you broke a string on a dark stage, (it falling out) you could be in big trouble... That is why the wire was introduced... It was generally regarded as an improvement!

A-tony

so saddles comes out easily form bursts ABR1? I wasnt sure about that, thanks for the info, on my 50th R9 saddles doesnt come out easily at all...

sidekick

so saddles comes out easily form bursts ABR1? I wasnt sure about that, thanks for the info, on my 50th R9 saddles doesnt come out easily at all...

If they 'imitate' the originals, they will over time.

Chances are, that with a bit of searching, you will get a historic no-wire though.

While so many of us want things as "historically accurate" as possible, some things were done over the evolution of the Les Paul and other Gibson parts, which were later considered as upgrading a design, that, (over time) had proved a little flawed.

Arguably, that is why the later Nashville bridge replaced the ABR-1 as it allowed greater saddle travel and was reckoned, set on better designed posts/bushings also.

gmann

I think this did happen on some as Steve was having plating problems. This has never happened on any of my PT bridges or TP's. I've sold alot of Historics over the yrs and always kept my Pigtail parts. I think it's the best.

cryptozoo

I like Pigtail but one pair of tailpiece studs I bought have basically turned black. These were purchased after Steve passed away, so it seems to be luck of the draw. Other sets I have are fine.

Mark Kane

All Access/Backstage Pass
It took a lot of work to get my '09 gibson wireless ABR-1 to sound good. The parts just don't fit all that well. I've had several Pigtails and the parts are tight, I just don't like the finish on them. I've bought several Faber bridges in the past few months for different projects and while they don't look entirely vintage correct, all the parts fit together and they sound just great.

ReWind James

After trying several, I have come to like the Pigtail best. Have you considered getting a non-aged Pigtail and aging it yourself to match the parts on your guitar?

I feel like I've seen real bursts where the nickel turns pretty black. It wouldn't bother me personally. Especially if the tail and tail studs did the same.

I have not tried, nor do I know who actually makes, the wireless ABR-1 that Retrospec sells but I'd like to know more.

btw - why can't you get another wireless ABR from Gibby? They are currently making them now (I'd still rather have the Pigtail).

tulsa

I've got the Callaham steel ABR. Love it! Not original material, but better than the original. What are you after? Tone, or looks?
After trying several, I have come to like the Pigtail best. Have you considered getting a non-aged Pigtail and aging it yourself to match the parts on your guitar?

I feel like I've seen real bursts where the nickel turns pretty black. It wouldn't bother me personally. Especially if the tail and tail studs did the same.

I have not tried, nor do I know who actually makes, the wireless ABR-1 that Retrospec sells but I'd like to know more.

btw - why can't you get another wireless ABR from Gibby? They are currently making them now (I'd still rather have the Pigtail).

timsmcm

I have lots of pigtail parts. And the plating on all of them is turning black. I bought all new non aged parts. I love the look and the craftsmanship but hate the plating.

jimmyace2006

Op... Why not? Don't Pigtail offer both new and relic'd.

Pigtail are generally reckoned the best ABR-1 retro bridge.

BTW... There were some Gibson no-wire ABR-1 bridges on on USA eBay recently.

i bought one of those