• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Another Metallica burst, chevron lemon, (Kirk Hammett)

buyusfear

At first I thought it wasn't due to the chevron top, but then I looked closer.
I know the bigsby burst he was using was on loan from Uncle Lou, and I wonder if this is another test drive or a new acquisition.

4732679451_bc3ef54ae3_b.jpg

4733323302_29a73f8190_b.jpg

4732680321_736c1e2073_b.jpg

4733320946_1560a46310_b.jpg

4733323088_ecbb763a7c_b.jpg

Last edited:

27sauce

Those guys arent shy about touring with bursts. Pretty sure its the real deal, wouldnt be the first time.

buyusfear

yeah...but that sure don't mean it's a burst in those pics.

What makes you so sure that it isn't?

Even from those pics, I can tell that the inlays are cellulose nitrate, the plastics are vintage correct, the tailpiece is in the correct location, the finish is that amazing green yellow with perfect fading around the toggle switch. The truss rod cover bevel has a characteristic yellowing, the binding on the worn neck is white, just what royalite binding is. The tuner heads are not green. Oh and it's Kirk Hammett, already known and confirmed to own and sport bursts. This is first hand info to me, not something I read.

Not only that, you can just tell that that is either a burst, or one amazing replica; however, being Kirk, you just kinda assume its the former until otherwise posted.

Last edited:

Tom Wittrock

Les Paul Forum Co-Owner

Even from those pics, I can tell that the inlays are cellulose nitrate, the plastics are vintage correct, the tailpiece is in the correct location, the finish is that amazing green yellow with perfect fading around the toggle switch. The truss rod cover bevel has a characteristic yellowing, the binding on the worn neck is white, just what royalite binding is. The tuner heads are not green. Oh and it's Kirk Hammett, already known and confirmed to own and sport bursts. This is first hand info to me, not something I read.

Not only that, you can just tell that that is either a burst, or one amazing replica; however, being Kirk, you just kinda assume its the former until otherwise posted.

I truly DO NOT believe you [or anyone else] can confirm those aspects, from those pics. I think that is impossible.

And then you say maybe it isn't really a Burst. :bigal

buyusfear

I truly DO NOT believe you [or anyone else] can confirm those aspects, from those pics. I think that is impossible.

And then you say maybe it isn't really a Burst. :bigal

I only say that it may be a replica, as I know replicas exists. I mention it more as a disclaimer, however, my official stance (which means nothing) is the same it was the first time I had spotted a Metallica burst.

Tom, in your expert opinion, are you saying that this is not a burst?

From what little I know to look for. It SCREAMS burst.
Any insight would be appreciated.

The last time I posted pics, and was unsure, you were quick to jump and question it, rather then use your experience to make an educated guess. Uncle Lou on the other hand emailed me and was kind enough to confirm that yes I was correct, and that he was the one who had sold them the guitars.

sharq attaq

The fact that you would read that statement into my post, surely lessens your credibility for me.

I never said it wasn't. I just wanted to know how you could make your definative judgement based on stage shots like those.

wernerg

Can't we all get along, and agree that it's fair to say that from the pictures posted, James Hetfield's guitar is NOT a 'Burst?

;-)

Otto 57

Can't we all get along, and agree that it's fair to say that from the pictures posted, James Hetfield's guitar is NOT a 'Burst?

;-)
I'm willing to concede NOTHING!
What makes YOU so sure that's NOT a burst in James' hand?!:rofl

Tom Wittrock

Les Paul Forum Co-Owner
I only say that it may be a replica, as I know replicas exists. I mention it more as a disclaimer, however, my official stance (which means nothing) is the same it was the first time I had spotted a Metallica burst.

Tom, in your expert opinion, are you saying that this is not a burst?

From what little I know to look for. It SCREAMS burst.
Any insight would be appreciated.

The last time I posted pics, and was unsure, you were quick to jump and question it, rather then use your experience to make an educated guess. Uncle Lou on the other hand emailed me and was kind enough to confirm that yes I was correct, and that he was the one who had sold them the guitars.

I quoted you, and with red highlight clearly showed you what I questioned:

"Even from those pics, I can tell that the inlays are cellulose nitrate, the plastics are vintage correct,"

I question that you, or anyone else can confirm from those pics that the inlays are made of cellulose nitrate, and that the plastic is vintage correct.
I still say that neither you, me , Uncle Lou or JoeG can be certain of such aspects merely from those pictures.

I am well aware that these guys have Bursts, and I don't recall a time when I made a claim that a picture was of a Burst or not. I suspect you misunderstood what I wrote, considering how you misunderstood what I wrote this time.

Looks like you misunderstood sharq attaq also. :hmm

27sauce

Whats the story on that one? Any notable previous owners? t looks like it got PLAYED.
Awesome top.

buyusfear

Bumping this thread as I came across a nice large shot of this guitar during what looks like rehearsal.

kirkhammetburstCopyofimg490.jpg

In my digging I also came across this much older picture of a different one.
Period would be 1994'ish

kirkburst2w3s0ia.jpg

53-1.jpg

hammett418xf.jpg

1581023569.jpg

sory TW, I don't have a serial nor in hand inspection to confirm it's authenticity. :ganz