• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Add a Maestro to stop tailpiece SG?

Nedray

How hard is it? Will Gibson sell the Maestro by itself? Looks like the unit would mostly cover the tailpiece stud anchors. Anyone smart about this?

kharrison

Allparts sells a replacement. Not sure if you could get one from Gibson.

JRW8214@AOL.COM

I put an allparts one on my Flying V. I plugged the holes and painted them to match the guitar. One is completely covered up by the tailpiece, the other is slightly exposed(but my hand is usually there to cover it up when im playing the guitar so no big deal). I dont think the stud anchors would be back far enough in order for the plate cover to cover them up. Let me know how it turns out. I too would like to put one on an SG.

slideboy

I have been looking for one for my 2001 Historic SG that has been correctly stop-tailed..but the Maestro had been sold before I purchased. I have emailed about a dozen used parts dealers and Gibson (no reply) with no luck. It's much easier to find a vintage one. Peace, BB

L

loufed52

A Deluxe Vibrola (aka Maestro) will not cover the tailpiece holes.

The only way that you can get one from Gibson is if you can get a dealer to get one from Gibson as a warranty replacement.

A vintage nickel one in good shape will likely cost you $400 or more, and a good chrome one won't be far behind.

Here's what it looks like when you just put a Vibrola on and don't plug the holes- taken from ebay a few years ago.

You can still see the treble side hole under the arm too if you tilt it, but I don't have a picture of that anymore.

I would suggest selling yours and buying a Historic with Vibrola, or the rare '61 RI with Vibrola.

The $400-$500 for a good vintage nickel Vibrola plus the nuisance (or expense) of plugging/touching up the holes isn't worth it.

There are a lot of cheap Historic SGs out there, and yours will never retain value like an original Vibrola SG will.

5048_1111.jpg

afficionado

Does anybody know how it affects the sound? stoptail and vibrola compared? Is it worth to mess with?

JRW8214@AOL.COM

Sounds better to me. I cant describe it but Elliot Easton can, thats why he had it put on his signature sg.

slideboy

if it's set up correctly and will stay in tune, I think that the higher set-up/lighter tension on the Maestro provides a smoother, softer attack...for some reason that clip of E.C. sitting with "The Fool" demonstrating his woman tone comes to mind...definitely a different tone and feel from a stop tail....both great...just different.

JRW8214@AOL.COM

yeah. i recall Easton saying in his guitar magazine(cant remember if it was GP or VG) interview that it has much better definition and Clapton had that while other SG's with stop tailpieces dont.

slideboy

well stop tails add more stability to tuning..and some also believe that it adds sustain. Duane and Derek both stop-tailed their SGs, but I remember a Rossington SG (#11) that I owned, and even in open tuning for slide it had a HUGE tone with LOTS of sustain. (big neck and grovers help). I have also detected some overtones from the Maestro that some find pleasing..others not so much. My current SG had a pro stoptail installation before I got it. I'm sure top wrapping would get you closer due to less string tension/softer attack..but won't give the 'air-i-ness" for lack of a better term that the Maestro seems to give... just my experience.
Peace, BB

Last edited:

Nedray

Just picked up a new VOS historic with the Maestro on ebay--can't wait til that truck shows up. I agree the Maestro changes the attack and the overtones a little--takes some of the edge off the bridge pup in particular and makes it a little more Les Paul-ish, while retaining a nice, articulate neck.

That's mainly what I was looking for, but understand it might not suit some SG fans at all.

slideboy

Congrats..pics required as soon as you get it! SGs with Maestros are just TOO COOL! :)

GuitarDean

hmmmm, this sounds like an interesting project. I have on on my EE SG and it's been an issue from rattling from time to time. That said, they ARE very nice, respond to subtle uses well, and look great... will be following this to see what happens!!!