• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

1978 Les Paul Custom - Where is the 'made in USA' stamp??

Justice Guitars

Hi,

Newbie to the forum here.
I just got a 78 LP Custom. I was expecting to see a 'Made in USA' stamp on the back of the headstock but,,, NOPE.. Anyone have any ideas why not? Any ideas how I can check for authenticity?

I have seen another 78 LP that appears to also be missing the stamp also I have seen that many of these do not have a dot over the 'i' in the logo.

I want to keep it cuz it looks like a sweet restoration project!!

Lets see if I can figure out how to upload pics...

IMG_3635.jpg

IMG_3636.jpg

IMG_3638.jpg

Thanks, Mike

Wilko

All Access/Backstage Pass
Many Gibsons from about 77 when they changed serial number format to the commonly known YDDDYNNN don't have Made in USA.

Justice Guitars

I have been looking at many other 78's and when I can I get a good look at the back of the headstock and happily, many have no 'made in usa' on it along with many missing the dot above the 'i'..

So now it is confirmed and the cleanup is on!

Anyone know the best way to polish the rusty frets??

Pearly Grapes

Tape over the pickups to keep stray steel wool particles off.

Also, I have a '78 at the practice house. I'll try & remember to check it, but IIRC it has the USA stamp, I think below the serial number.
PG

BobV

What's the deal with that pickguard? looks like metal, could just be the picture

Wilko

All Access/Backstage Pass
I had a chrome pickguard just like that. Solid brass and the chrome wore through pretty soon into a spot just like yours.

Justice Guitars

I had a chrome pickguard just like that. Solid brass and the chrome wore through pretty soon into a spot just like yours.

hehe.. You want another one???

I saw some pics where the 'made in usa' is actually not parallel to the serial number. It actually runs parallel to the neck. Since it is a 3 piece neck It must have just been printed on the middle slab.