• THIS IS THE 25th ANNIVERSARY YEAR FOR THE LES PAUL FORUM! PLEASE CELEBRATE WITH US AND SUPPORT US WITH A DONATION TO KEEP US GOING! We've made a large financial investment to convert the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and now have to move to a new host. We also have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!
  • WE ARE MOVING THE LES PAUL FORUM TO A NEW HOSTING PROVIDER OVER THE NEXT 5-10 DAYS. We will experience downtime during that period. Please be patient and have confidence that we will return! Many thanks, Mike Slubowski, Admin

What Issues do Juniors Have?

corpse

I am wondering what some of the more subtle things to look out for in a DC junior. I am aware of neck cracks and such. I am not interested in a museum piece, but don't want to buy one that an expert would take a look at and say 'what did you buy that dog for?" Are the necks apt to twist? As as shopper would it be bad form to ask to remove the PG to see if there had been fill around the PU's for a guitar that had been restored from a humbucker?
Jim

cryptozoo

Obvious stuff includes routing for a second pickup, routing the original pickup cavity for a humbucker, routing the control cavity to accomodate additional pots / toggles. Check for the original pickup, pots, caps, hardware, pickguard, tuners, etc.

skydog6653

I saw an interview with Leslie West once and the interviewer asked him why he prefered/insisted on single cuts. He picked up a DC and struck a chord. He then clenched and bent the neck distorting the chord. Said that's why he couldn't use one. Now LW has some powerful hands, but it did prove a point!

Ryan Givhan

I saw an interview with Leslie West once and the interviewer asked him why he prefered/insisted on single cuts. He picked up a DC and struck a chord. He then clenched and bent the neck distorting the chord. Said that's why he couldn't use one. Now LW has some powerful hands, but it did prove a point!
you can do this faily easily with SG's also. but only if you try.

27sauce

With the DC's there really isnt anything that wouldnt be obvious to look out for. It they are straight, they are most likely going to be pretty badass. While I agree that it is easier to "bend" the neck on a DC, it is much more stable than an SG due to the large box joint
Marc.

JIMI55LP

A double cut JR does not have a weak neck joint like the Specials did in 59' because there is no routing into the tenon which is very deep set. I don't think that you'll find any problems with double cut neck joints vereses single cuts, this problem was only with the early 59' models with the neck pickup mounted too close to the end of the neck, and when Gibson move it about 3/4" farther from the neck it made it much more stable.

keef

Check if intonation is way off, and ensure that there are no dead notes up the neck or plinging banjo tones on the high strings, which may occur if the tailpiece is grooved or worn.

You SHOULD be allowed to take off the pg and the P90 cover (and the tuners and control cavity plate), but only after you have decided that you really want to buy it (unless nasty discoveries would follow). I once was very close to buying a nice looking and sounding '56. Lifted the P90, and lo, there was a nasty rout underneath - the seller was as surprised to see that as me.......at least that's what he said....

Oh, and I'd take a blacklight with me as well, but that's me.

corpse

This is all great stuff- the jones is really on me and i have the "there's a new (old) guitar in your near future" tingle.
Jim

rockpit

The only issue I have with my 50's single cut Juniors is whether they will ever let my LP reissues come out to play.

LHakim

Leaning bridges are not a problem on the DC's.
Are the necks apt to twist?
The only 1950's LP I've ever read about having a neck twist problem is the Paul Stanley burst. There are some very old threads on the LPF where thats discussed.

corpse

The only issue I have with my 50's single cut Juniors is whether they will ever let my LP reissues come out to play.

Hey Rockpit
In hoc old son! Uconn 80-er something...

On neck twisting stuff- Wilco posted:
A twist is very easy to see while sighting down the neck from the headstock end.

The nut should be parallel with body plane.

JD said
Relief on the strings will change from the side to the string

Good stuff
Jim

DANELECTRO

A singlecut will balance better. The balance of a doublecut will be improved if you move the strap button from the heel to the horn (but of course doing so decreases the value).

27sauce

Indeed, it is a big improvement moving that strap button. Maybe you can find a 59 with it already moved, as Gil Southworth once said, "most vintage guitars are 59 Juniors", there are plenty out there.
Marc

Brown Recluse

I've got a 4 digit serial number '58 DC Junior and a late '59 with a 6 digit serial number. The neck angle is very different between the two. The '58 is very shallow. This limits how low you can set the action without having the strings touch the leading edge of the P90's cover. If you lay my late '59 on its back, the only parts that will make contact are the back edge of the headstock and the back edge of the body near the tail. I can lower the action on the '59 extremely low without contacting the P90's cover. I have a friend with a similar 6 digit serial number '59. Another difference between the two is the size of the original frets. The '58 has a huge neck and very small frets. It requires a great deal more grip strength/stamina to play bar chords than does the '59 with the larger factory frets.

bigjimsguitars

Neck angle is critical as well the straightness of the neck...this is important as you want low action and still have room to clear the pickup.

You know you got bad neck angle when the studs are down to the deck and the action isn't low or that the strings are hitting the pickup cover when you have it set up to your liking....

BadMotorScooter

I am wondering what some of the more subtle things to look out for in a DC junior.

Smoke coming from your fingertips! And if an erection occurs for more than four hours on anywhere on your body, please consult a groupie. :dude:

Radagacuca

some see the "neck bending issue" as a plus as you can use it to do slight vibratos by bending the neck back and forth while pushing your right forearm against the body. won´t copy a floyd though. :)

while this is probably more often to be found on any double cut guitar, i had a lp artisan with a 3 piece maple neck that was way softer and would bent more easily than my 2 sg´s....

Rev.WillieVK

FWIW
Re-fretting a Junior is no 'issue' and is in many cases, a major plus!

:salude