• THIS IS THE 25th ANNIVERSARY YEAR FOR THE LES PAUL FORUM! PLEASE CELEBRATE WITH US AND SUPPORT US WITH A DONATION TO KEEP US GOING! We've made a large financial investment to convert the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and now have to move to a new host. We also have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!
  • WE ARE MOVING THE LES PAUL FORUM TO A NEW HOSTING PROVIDER OVER THE NEXT 5-10 DAYS. We will experience downtime during that period. Please be patient and have confidence that we will return! Many thanks, Mike Slubowski, Admin

Tell me why I should get a junior!

PLarson

I'm interested in getting an old junior or special in the future.
They look nice, but I have never tried one.
Can someone tell me the benefits of such a guitar? :hmm

treeofpain

It's not easy to articulate. They are fairly plentiful. Can you go to a vintage guitar show and try one out?

J.D.

Of all of the guitars and amps I dig, it seems I always go back to a LP Jr. and Marshall, it just delivers a simple, pure, raw rock 'n roll tone.

renderit

There are not a helluva lot of choices to baffle you on the controls so you concentrate more on playing.

They feel completely alive, the neck hums, the body hums.

They feel right.

They are so homely they are beautiful.

kharrison

The wood, they are light, the P90, and they are to some degree affordable. Good way of getting into a vintage guitar. If you are on a budget, try the SG variant.

PLarson

The wood, they are light, the P90, and they are to some degree affordable. Good way of getting into a vintage guitar. If you are on a budget, try the SG variant.

Interesting. I've been looking into the SG Junior and it seems like a good alternative in these troubled times. At least until I can get a "real" junior. Da*n stockmarket! :hee

j45

Because the may be the most spectacular sounding Gibson ever made...seriously. Downside is only one pickup but a good Junior from '55-'58 will outperform many bursts on the bridge pickup in all catagories.... more open and detailed top end, fatter mids, extremely aggressive low mids and explosive overall response, near perfect note separation and detail even on high gain chords (on a good amp).

When I had half a dozen and more of most basic models of vintage Gibsons in my collection I would always save the Junior for last when showing off my best amps. Even after the PAF Les Pauls and 335's, SG's, the 50's Specials, and original Firebirds, a 50's Junior would never fail to drop jaws for a big finish.

j45

Here's some more good reasons:

a55-Jr-5-1.jpg

a56-junior-3.jpg

a57jr.jpg

J.D.

I've played a couple of Jrs. I consider really good, and when strumming cowboy chords the entire body resonates very loudly like an acoustic guitar almost, I mean you can feel it vibrating against your torso.

wsaraceni

it seems every year i have an amp in sight for what i want next. i think this year a sunburst jr should be my priority.