• THIS IS THE 25th ANNIVERSARY YEAR FOR THE LES PAUL FORUM! PLEASE CELEBRATE WITH US AND SUPPORT US WITH A DONATION TO KEEP US GOING! We've made a large financial investment to convert the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and now have to move to a new host. We also have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!
  • WE ARE MOVING THE LES PAUL FORUM TO A NEW HOSTING PROVIDER OVER THE NEXT 5-10 DAYS. We will experience downtime during that period. Please be patient and have confidence that we will return! Many thanks, Mike Slubowski, Admin

Cavity shot of new '08 standard

BobMello

Holy crap! What the hell is going on in there and how are you supposed to swap out pickups or make mods to the caps?

Does it have internet and WIFI access? Looks too computer like for my tastes...

LPElectronmics.jpg

However I really do like the new features of the guitar (locking tonepros, locking grovers, plek, asymetrical neck sounds wild, and the long neck tenon...

But, I dont like the burst colors and the price is quite a lot...

Besides...am I wrong that they are not making lefty models? Please confirm...:salude

modoc_333

no idea yet.
i think they expect you to only use gibson pickups that will come with the plugs on them. the website says something about gibson offering different value pots in the future which will be plug-and-play. personally, the only part of it i like is the jack. i would probably gut the whole thing.

Minibucker

no idea yet.
i think they expect you to only use gibson pickups that will come with the plugs on them. the website says something about gibson offering different value pots in the future which will be plug-and-play. personally, the only part of it i like is the jack. i would probably gut the whole thing.

Right...you can just download whatever pot and cap values you desire. Heh.... ;-D

Lindgren

:bug :bug :bug

Wtf, i dont like it at all, i prefer the vintage/original look.

modoc_333

lol... almost! actually, it said nothing about changing caps. (hmmm). it mentioned that gibson would make other pot values available so that you could pair them up properly to different pickups.
i also just remembered that it wasn't a website. i saw it in the most recent MF catalog. there is a big full page write-up on the new standard and traditional. all of it is marketing BS, but it is informative.

Wallace

Holy crap! What the hell is going on in there and how are you supposed to swap out pickups or make mods to the caps?

Does it have internet and WIFI access? Looks too computer like for my tastes...

LPElectronmics.jpg

However I really do like the new features of the guitar (locking tonepros, locking grovers, plek, asymetrical neck sounds wild, and the long neck tenon...

But, I dont like the burst colors and the price is quite a lot...

Besides...am I wrong that they are not making lefty models? Please confirm...:salude

There is something going seriously wrong with manufacturing when that contraption costs less to produce and install than 4 pots and two caps :ganz .

Minibucker

There is something going seriously wrong with manufacturing when that contraption costs less to produce and install than 4 pots and two caps :ganz .

It's probably easier/quicker to stamp everything out with machines than the hand fitting/soldering with regular pots and caps.

55Custom

Looks like it should come with remote control and an internet connection.

twinrider1

It could make pickup swaps easier, if aftermarket pup makers can source the connectors. Plug and play.

I'd really like to see inside those pots.

avereste

I think it's the greatest improvement in 50 years (If it's possible to change pickups and caps...)

I don't understand why are we still soldering these days!

GlassSnuff

Roy, Rick, John.... any one of you want to sell some stock in your company?

I think I see a boom coming in the pots & caps aftermarket....

andreja marovic

:jaw I think that Gibson is making this to the regular USA guitars to make them different from the Historic collection and maybe justifie the cost of the manual work.:spam
No....this is computer age XXl century and they want to show us the Evolution of the guitar (Robot tuners etc...).
I have no idea how the looks reflekts to the sound this guitars have...but I suppose They know what they are doing with such acts.

During the early space age and TV came the Fenser Broadcaster later the Telecaster,Stratocaster was also very inventive when they came up in 54 and Gibson answer was a Flying V, Futura and Explorer.:salude

Hope that this is electronic or electric evolution...
I don't like the looks...and will probably never buy one of those, but others will do, after all who cares what is under the back cover!!!
If you don't open it you will never know.:salude

Guitar players are conservative people and they always came back to the well prooven instruments from the past like LP's,strats and teles.
I am one of them.That's why I have been buying Historic Collection guitars.
:2cool

C-4

I feel the same about these new "improvements" as I do about any guitar.
If I play it, and like it, I'd leave it alone.
If I play it and find certain things about it that I feel I want to change, I have it done.
With regards to pickups, caps, and pots, if I wanted to change the pickups and this affected the hookup into the control cavity, fuck it, I'd gut the beast and have it done the way I wanted it done, just as with any other guitar. It's really no biggy.

I'm certainly not going to let anything removable from a guitar stop me from doing what I want to it, and I don't think any of you would either.

DANELECTRO

I'm curious how they're dealing with the curvature of the top when they've got the pots mounted on a flat circuit board. Normally, the bridge position pots are mounted parallel to the back of the guitar, and the neck pots are at an angle to match the top carve. With this circuit board setup, all pots are mounted in a plane, so they won't follow the top carve.

moonweasel

I am 99% with Gibson on this. Decisive product differentiation with modern elements on the their Std line. Keep the purests happy with the Historic line and let the USA evolve. Fine with me.

I wonder if they corrected the taper......

95% of guitar nerds switch this shit out instantly, and you still can. Although, I think it's amusing when a couple of you complain that it just doens't "look right" or its "too computery". Give me a break! You can't even SEE the pots.

The only objectively bad thing about this is that Im sure it could eliminate a lot of traditional employee positions. The price of "progress". I wonder if these boards are USA made.... I'll bet you a trendy, semi-transparent backplate they are made you know where. :)

ES345

Remember the days when you could lift the hood of your car and knew what every part was, and you could actually change the water pump without pulling the engine, setting the points, advancing the distrubutor etc. Well this is progress i guess. Forgive me but i still like point to point wiring in my amps and point to point wiring in my guitars, keep all the circuit boards in my computer.

peace

AlexVDL

I'm curious how they're dealing with the curvature of the top when they've got the pots mounted on a flat circuit board. Normally, the bridge position pots are mounted parallel to the back of the guitar, and the neck pots are at an angle to match the top carve. With this circuit board setup, all pots are mounted in a plane, so they won't follow the top carve.

Didn't Gibson use similar harnesses in the past? Do they have the same problem you describe?

3b87_1.jpg

Last edited: