• THIS IS THE 25th ANNIVERSARY YEAR FOR THE LES PAUL FORUM! PLEASE CELEBRATE WITH US AND SUPPORT US WITH A DONATION TO KEEP US GOING! We've made a large financial investment to convert the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and now have to move to a new host. We also have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!
  • WE ARE MOVING THE LES PAUL FORUM TO A NEW HOSTING PROVIDER OVER THE NEXT 5-10 DAYS. We will experience downtime during that period. Please be patient and have confidence that we will return! Many thanks, Mike Slubowski, Admin

Just a Rumor? Weight relief holes aka "swiss cheese" might be coming back?

LesterP

I hate rumors, but word has it that a Gibson emloyee (mentioned on another forum) stated that the traditional weight relief pattern of drilling holes might be coming back. Seems that enough people have voiced their opinion on the newer chambering, and it's affect on tone (as in "they don't sound the same").

I have no idea if this is true. Just curious if anyone has heard of this.

Schtang

Re: Just a Rumor? Weight relief holes aka "swiss cheese" might be coming back?

I hate rumors, but word has it that a Gibson emloyee (mentioned on another forum) stated that the traditional weight relief pattern of drilling holes might be coming back. Seems that enough people have voiced their opinion on the newer chambering, and it's affect on tone (as in "they don't sound the same").

I have no idea if this is true. Just curious if anyone has heard of this.

Yes that is what I have heard from the Gibson distributor in Australia. Too many complaints about the chambering, the swiss cheese to return, the guitars are going to be heavier again. This will make the chambered guitars more collectable in the future because there are people out there who want regular production light carved top LPs.

GreenManalishi

Complete idiocy on Gibson's part. Chambering is a weight relief solution that actually enhances tone. It figures they would move away from it. Instead, they should just offer solid or chambered, particularly because I bet most of the "complaints" came from people who never actually TRIED a chambered LP.

kink56

Les Paul Froum Member

Many of the people who complained about the chambered LP, probably did not know they have been weight relieved, with the swiss cheese method since the 80s! They probably thought they were 100% solid all this time!!

J.D.

Funny how Gibson touted the "Swiss Cheese" as chambers large enough to relieve weight but not large enough to have an effect on the tone (as in large chambers are a *bad* thing).

Now the large chambers are a *good* thing on a solidbody. :lol

Brought to you by the same Marketing people that would have you believe VOS is a good thing and a Plek fret finishing should be an upcharge (both are simply cost cutting in disguise)

kink56

Les Paul Froum Member

Brought to you by the same Marketing people that would have you believe VOS is a good thing and a Plek fret finishing should be an upcharge (both are simply cost cutting in disguise)[/QUOTE]

JD you are spot on!!!

marc1kim

Complete idiocy on Gibson's part. Chambering is a weight relief solution that actually enhances tone. It figures they would move away from it. Instead, they should just offer solid or chambered, particularly because I bet most of the "complaints" came from people who never actually TRIED a chambered LP.

I agree with you, I love the sound of my chambered Lester. I guess I better go buy my standard before the swiss cheese comes back.

LPNick

Hmm just a thought but maybe Gibson could offer a choice:
Traditional Weight Relief (swiss cheese)
Chambered (as it is now)

Wait, Gibson making it EASY and CONVENIENT for CUSTOMERS???? No way!

les strat

It should be an option, not THE norm.

Schtang

:dude:
Yes I agree. I believe that the chambering does enhance tone and that they should offer both solid and chambering on their regular production USA carved top LPs.

Kap'n

I can see it now....in ten years 2007/8 LP Standards will be highly sought after collectibles.

From the same older-is-better crowd that brought you inflated prices on pancake body/maple neck LP's.

Trans-Am

Too much air inside, a 'la Epiphone.

Peace:hank

rrrcustom

I doubt the chambered ones will be highly sought after:rolleyes:

Here's a thought.....just make them solid. The people that are being picky about the weights have enough money to get a Historic. It used to be that Les Pauls were heavy. The design of the instrument more or less dictates that.

Les-Zombie

Formerly zakkwylde74

Here's a thought.....just make them solid. The people that are being picky about the weights have enough money to get a Historic. It used to be that Les Pauls were heavy. The design of the instrument more or less dictates that.

i agree

les strat

+2

hoss

Actually the chambered USA models are the best sounding Gibson USA Les Pauls since I don't know when. Maybe they even cut into Historic sales?

KyKaH

Actually the chambered USA models are the best sounding Gibson USA Les Pauls since I don't know when. Maybe they even cut into Historic sales?

best sounding? what is the "best sound"? Being in store last sunday I found a pair of decent sounding LP out of 10. Nothing exceptional. I guess it's a matter of a personal preference and a lot of people like a solidbody LP sound. They would say right the opposite about the "best sound".

Schtang

I think your onto something. Light Les Pauls chambered or not alway sound better than a really heavy Les Paul. Just brighter and more versatile.:2zone

songsj

I have an idea, Why not take the Class 5 and chamber it, it already has about 17 weight relief holes in it, and they have terrible resale. Then you would have a long tenon, great top, and chambered les paul. Would not be as cheap as a Standard though. Just a thought.

Kutt

My .02 is that the biggest problem with their chambering technique, and possibly the root of many of the complaints, is their inability to execute it properly- "Maraca Effect" anyone?

Other than that chambering isn't such a bad thing at all.