• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

What'll Be New @ The Gibson Booth for NAMM This Week?

TM1

Anyone know what they're going to have? I'll be there this week but it'll most likely be either late Thursday or Friday before I can get up to their room.

Rare Form

They should be introducing the Alex Lifeson Signature ES 355 from what I understand. If this is the case, I would sure like to know. As far as anything else, I am not sure. I am sure they will be showing off the Robot Guitar:hee

buyusfear

The rumored Slash sigs will be there i'm guessing, and maybee a Joe Bonamassa Les Paul. And the new 5oth anniversary '58 reissues, if there's any changes that is.

TheMiz

They should be introducing the Alex Lifeson Signature ES 355 from what I understand. If this is the case, I would sure like to know.

Really a Lifeson signature 355 ?
I really think they should have a
Peter Banks signature 355. They should have had that out before they did a Andy Summer ES355

kink56

Les Paul Froum Member
Damn I was hoping for a 100% accurate replica of the 1958 Burst!! Signature Les Pauls (other than Les Paul) are silly IMHO. Kinda like wearing Haines Underwear because MJ does!!

TM1

I already know the Page Custom's coming this year. A friend of mine bought one of the Robot's.. oye.. no thanks. Mainly what I want to know is the Historic's.. I'll check with my friend Ren Ferguson @ Gibson Montana. He's always enjoyable to visit with.

Rare Form

Damn I was hoping for a 100% accurate replica of the 1958 Burst!! Signature Les Pauls (other than Les Paul) are silly IMHO. Kinda like wearing Haines Underwear because MJ does!!

Now, hold on there Kink. Some signature models offer a lot of unique specs. The first thing that most people forget is that the Les Paul is a signature model. It has Orville Gibson's name on it as well as Les Paul's. I was not sure if I wanted to purchase a Les Paul Custom Peter Frampton Sig. for the very same reasons. But, no other Custom has a slim taper neck with three pickups with a very unique pick up configuration that makes this guitar truly unique. I would have never thought of buying a signature amp either, but I bought a H&K Triamp that blew a tube as soon as I got it and when the rep talked to me on the phone said he would send me a Alex Lifeson Sig. model as a replacement since he knew I was a Lifeson fan (H&K is cool like that). Of course, how could I say no to a $300.00 up charge for no charge. And, the Lifeson Sig. has channel 2&3 biased the way that Lifeson does which I like, it has hotter channels than the standard Triamp. Pete Townsend has been playing Eric Clapton Strats for many years. Now, Townsend does not need to play sig. models, but liked the way a particular artist (in this case Clapton) set it up in the way that made the guitar better for him. Geddy Lee now plays 2 Jaco Pastorius Signature Fender Jazz basses. So, it really depends on if the model delivers what you as an artist needs. Sometimes artists can get the manufactuer to customize the guitar in a way that many of us less known guitar players have thought would be good, but could not do.

Beano Geno

There are some nice signature models of various guitars, but 8 different Slash models just doesn't do it for me. Gibson is really starting to reach. The brand is being cheapened (not talking money) and diminished. Sorry if that's not politically correct.

kink56

Les Paul Froum Member
"The first thing that most people forget is that the Les Paul is a signature model"
That is why I said (other than Les Paul)

Anyone know what they're going to have? I'll be there this week but it'll most likely be either late Thursday or Friday before I can get up to their room.

They started to let some of the cats out of their bag earlier today: http://www.gibson.com/en-us/Lifestyle/ArtistsAndEvents/Stories/Gibson Custom to Showcase Over/

Jimmy Page Les Paul Custom with Bigsby

Steve Jones Les Paul Custom

Lee Ritenour ES-335

Johnny Winter Firebird(!!!)

Slash #1 Les Paul Standard Aged & Signed

Mick Jones Les Paul Custom

Alex Lifeson ES-355 VOS

Les Paul Axcess - "Gibson has heard the cry from its loyal customers and, in an effort to satisfy their desires, has created the Les Paul Axcess model. With such appointments as the Floyd Rose tremolo tailpiece to the ergonomic neck/body design, once you have felt the excitement of this beautifully responsive instrument, heard its rich tone and seen its exquisite, graceful design, you will know the affection that the players feel for their Gibson guitars - an affection that transcends time, style and musical trends."

The Ultratone - "The new Gibson Ultratone takes inspiration both visually and sonically from an exciting period of guitar history in the '50s during the development of the lapsteel guitar and many of Gibson's most famous pickup designs. The Ultratone's new design "Steel 90" pickups combined with a unique combination of tone-woods and a 25.5" scale deliver an unparalleled shimmer and twang while it's art-deco appointments & futuristic top carve call back to a time of space-age design." (Is it going to be the new Gibson Stratomaster?)

ES-339 Figured

ES-359

And on to acoustics:

GIBSON ACOUSTIC TO HIGHLIGHT ELVIS COSTELLO MODEL AND JUMBO LINE AT NAMM 2008
Monday, January 14, 2008
NASHVILLE, Tenn. (January 14, 2008) – Gibson Guitar, the world’s premier musical instrument manufacturer and leader in music technology, announced today that it’s Acoustic Division will highlight a Elvis Costello model and one of its line of acoustic jumbos at Winter NAMM 2008 in Anaheim, CA January 17-20th at the Anaheim Convention Center.

Gibson Acoustic is proud to showcase the Elvis Costello Century of Progress Acoustic, one of the most important acoustic guitars, from one of the most original artists to emerge from the punk and new wave scene of the late ‘70s and early ’80s. This will be the first guitar in Gibson Acoustics’ new Songwriter Series. The new Elvis Costello Century of Progress acoustic is fashioned after Costello’s beloved 1936 mode; it is a painstaking recreation of his favorite acoustic, used to record and perform many of the songs that made him the iconic musician that he is. Culling information from photos of Costello’s treasured instrument and the original blueprints from the 1930s, Gibson Acoustics’ team of master luthiers were able to successfully reproduce every attribute of Costello’s prized acoustic with flawless accuracy and immaculate attention to detail.

No feature was overlooked in the creation of the Elvis Costello Century of Progress acoustic guitar. From the figured Hard Rock Eastern maple used for the back and sides to the Adirondack spruce used for the top and bracing, including vintage-style glue used to put it all together, the new acoustic also offers a distinct peghead veneer and pearloid fingerboard, adorned by diamond inlays within Madagascar rosewood rectangle fingerboard markers. The neck is crafted from one solid piece of Honduras mahogany, and hand-sanded to form a pronounced “V” profile.

The new Elvis Costello Century of Progress from Gibson Acoustic will be released in a very limited run of only 300 instruments, numbered from 001 to 300 with an exclusive black hard-shell case adorned with a special Elvis Costello/Gibson stamped commemorative plaque and certificate of authenticity. Each guitar’s label will also be personally autographed by Costello.

On another front, the Gibson Acoustic Jumbo line is nothing short of legendary. From the singing cowboys of the 1930s to the cosmic cowboys of the 1960s—from Gene Autry to Gram Parsons, Emmylou Harris, to the Rolling Stones—Gibson’s Jumbo guitars have been at the heart of acoustic music since their debut in the 1930s. Like many of Gibson’s fine instruments, the acoustic Jumbos have advanced over time, providing players with a selection of instruments to fit all styles. It began with the first SJ-200—the “King of the Flattops”—in 1937, and continued with the J-185 in 1951, and the brand new J-165 in 2007. Now, further solidifying its place in history, Gibson Acoustic is proud to announce the redesign of the cutaway series of the Jumbo line, including the addition of the new Aura Pro Onboard Preamp System from Fishman. A very subtle reshaping of the soft cutaway in the SJ-200 EC, J-185 EC and the J-165 EC further enables the high-note, single-string runs and enhances the versatility needed to meet the demands of today’s wide spectrum of styles and players.

The redesigned guitars also carry Fishman’s new and improved Aura Pro Onboard Preamp System, which blends the natural sound from a guitar’s undersaddle pickup with one of four studio-mastered Aura Images— digital algorithms created using the world’s fines guitars and studio microphones. The result is brilliant, true-to-life studio-quality sound ideal in any amplified environment. The system’s smaller, soundhole-mounted design puts slider controls within easy reach, allowing players to maintain a natural playing position.

simon

My friends... here is the official pic of Slash #1 Inspired By!

SlashAgedLP_2.jpg

I know his guitar...and I definitely DON'T like the color of the signature model.
Its not the same. Its too bright and yellow. I'm sorry. I still hope its just the picture.

MikeG59

There are some nice signature models of various guitars, but 8 different Slash models just doesn't do it for me. Gibson is really starting to reach. The brand is being cheapened (not talking money) and diminished. Sorry if that's not politically correct.

i agree with this +1

05hummer

My friends... here is the official pic of Slash #1 Inspired By!

SlashAgedLP_2.jpg

I know his guitar...and I definitely DON'T like the color of the signature model.
Its not the same. Its too bright and yellow. I'm sorry. I still hope its just the picture.
YUUUUUUUUUUKKKKK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

55Custom

So the Slash guitar is a 1980's Reissue? A reissue.... of a 1980's usa production Standard? :hee