• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Homemade switch nut tool

DANELECTRO

I occasionally need to remove or tighten a switch nut, but not often enough to justify buying a specialized tool to do so. Here's a tool that I made from a piece of 1/2" PVC pipe that does the job just fine. The ID of the pipe is slightly smaller than the OD of a switch ring. I made a lengthwise sawcut with a bandsaw that allows the tube to spread wide enough to grip the nut. I also tapered the end of the pipe so that it doesn't scratch the face of the washer. When tightening the nut, you simply squeeze the pipe to grip the nut.

Switchnuttool010.jpg

Switchnuttool007.jpg

Switchnuttool009.jpg

If you've ever tightened a switch nut, then you know that you feel like you need a third hand, because the nut, the washer, and the switch all want to turn together. I've found the easiest way to tighten the assembly is to orient the washer where you want it and tape it in place. With the back cover removed, hold the switch to keep it from turning and tighten the nut.

PaulSG

PVC is great for making several guitar repair tools. My TP bushing puller is made from PVC and works great.

Thanks for the tip, I'll be making one of these tonight!

Seoighs

nice solution.

I've never seen anyone suggest using automotive electricians pliers...they come in several sizes and have semi-soft plastic jaws...'used to have a pair, but son borrowed them, never to be seen again. I'll post a pic if I can find one.

...another solution

softjawpliers.jpg

White background isn't the best, but if you look closely, you'll note that the each jaw is fully encased in clear (soft) plastic, with a harder (white) compound bonded to the gripping surface...overkill compared to the PVC solution. now that I think about it, two 1" pieces of 1/4" Tygon (fish tank filter) tubing slipped over the jaws of 'normal pliers would achieve the same result...and cost pennies??

Last edited:

Plankspanker

Send the pics and description to Stew-Mac, they'll publish it in their quarterly catalog and give you credit for designing it.

fjminor

Thanks Danelectro .....Very cool ....I will have to give this a go....!!:salude

DrewB

PVC is great for making several guitar repair tools. My TP bushing puller is made from PVC and works great.

Care to share pics of that one? I have a late-'60s SG special that is broken and I want to pull the TP bushings before I refinish it. I don't see the point in a $35 tool for that...

Beano Geno

I occasionally need to remove or tighten a switch nut, but not often enough to justify buying a specialized tool to do so. Here's a tool that I made from a piece of 1/2" PVC pipe that does the job just fine. The ID of the pipe is slightly smaller than the OD of a switch ring. I made a lengthwise sawcut with a bandsaw that allows the tube to spread wide enough to grip the nut. I also tapered the end of the pipe so that it doesn't scratch the face of the washer. When tightening the nut, you simply squeeze the pipe to grip the nut.

Switchnuttool010.jpg

Switchnuttool007.jpg

Switchnuttool009.jpg

If you've ever tightened a switch nut, then you know that you feel like you need a third hand, because the nut, the washer, and the switch all want to turn together. I've found the easiest way to tighten the assembly is to orient the washer where you want it and tape it in place. With the back cover removed, hold the switch to keep it from turning and tighten the nut.

Great tool Danelectro. Easy to make and perfect for the intended job.:salude

DrewB

Wow, that's brilliant in its simplicity! Thanks a lot; I'll be making one of those this weekend!

Uncle Gary

That's similar to the tool I use to extract Kluson style pressed in bushings from a headstock face.

Jurius

Danlectro, what a great idea. Thanks. I've got some 1/2 inch PVC in the basement. This looks like the perfect solution.

Grainman4558

The homemade tools look like the perfect solution.
I have one that takes 2 minutes. I just had the same problem toiling with the switch ring after polishing 3 Les Pauls.
Just take you vicegrips and put masking tape over the the ends that do the griping. This allows you to griup the ring without slipping and you can remover it and tighten it without scratching or stipping the switch tip ring.
Also, with the vicegrips, it actually takes hardly any pressure or elbow grease at all to remove or tighten the ring once the grips have a hold on it.
Thanks,