• THIS IS THE 25th ANNIVERSARY YEAR FOR THE LES PAUL FORUM! PLEASE CELEBRATE WITH US AND SUPPORT US WITH A DONATION TO KEEP US GOING! We've made a large financial investment to convert the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and now have to move to a new host. We also have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!
  • WE ARE MOVING THE LES PAUL FORUM TO A NEW HOSTING PROVIDER OVER THE NEXT 5-10 DAYS. We will experience downtime during that period. Please be patient and have confidence that we will return! Many thanks, Mike Slubowski, Admin

Allen Collins Explorer

Allen Collins

I,ve got one. Who else has? Can we see them? What are they worth now? I cannot find another anywhere it seems.:)
a3.jpg

Would like to know whos got them.
Thanks.
Allen.

driver75

Nice Guitar. I would love to have one. Could you put some more Pics up?:2zone

burst59

I don't think they finished the run. :hmm
And how about the Rossington SG's ? Not many of them floating around either. One would be lucky to have the full Skynyrd set. :dude:

burstbucker1

i beleive what you have thier allan is the 03 Limited Edition Allen Collins Explorer..which if that's the case, only 100 where made..and some have sold in the 9,000 to 12,000 price range..nice guitar.. is the back of the guitar aged..??

Thwap

Formerly LPdonkey
Haven't seen any anywhere.

All I know is I played one many years ago at Music Machine, and it haunts me to this day.

Absolutely the most incredible guitar I've ever layed hands on.

Allen Collins

The Explorer is a beast to lug around. Here is its Anvil case with the Rossington case.
:bug
Allen.
PICT0983.jpg

Here is the "Full Monty"
Napping.jpg

Heads.jpg

Facedown.jpg

Thanks.
Allen.

Allen Collins

You have an amazing trio of Guitars there.:applaude

Thanks driver75. Thanks also to burst59 for the mention of anyone with all three guitars. Just the excuse needed to show em off again.
Just been on the 30th Lynyrd Skynyrd Anniversary bus tour to pay our respects to the ones lost. Here is my daughter with Coach Leonard Skinner himself. He,s a REAL gent.
PICT0062-1.jpg

Gene Odom (a man I would be happy to see and talk to every day), Craig Reed and the Coach were all there and did a SUPERB job of telling us how it really was. It for sure was a very memorable and sad day.
Incredibly, that day and the way Gene conducts his life has made me realise that I will most likely part with these and most of my guitars.
Gene Odom is a real family man and dedicates his life to his children and grandchildren. I have a small fortune tied up in guitars and yet here we are rebuilding a house whilst we live in a shed scratching for money to fund the project! I will keep one Les Paul, an old 73 SG, my SG with the original paperwork dated 20th October 1977 (which I can never part with) and my 79 Strat I got at my 16th birthday.
This is not an advert so please don,t think it is or make any offers on these guitars. When they are to be freed, I am 100% sure that they will be mentioned by other forum members here.
Here are some more memories of the day.
Gene at the Oak tree Gary crashed his car into that inspired "That smell"
PICT0880.jpg

The Jug (now Pastime) from the song "Gimme three steps"
PICT0077.jpg

Coach Skinner signing me some things for forum member Hornet103 and his "young uns".
PICT0921.jpg

The final resting place of my hero who burned the candle at both ends as fast as he could.
PICT0877.jpg

The final resting place of the man I consider to be the greatest singer/songwriter of all time IMHO.
PICT0055.jpg

From Gene himself, who was on the plane when it was shattered by the trees on that dreadful night,
"Ramblin Fever" by Merle Haggard was the song they were listening to.......

The day really made me realise that family and friends are the most important things in life, not possessions .

Chicken Scratch

I played collins number 14 at Dave's guitar shop a few years back. It was an amazing guitar to bad I didnt have the cash to buy it. And you can change that bridge but it would be stupid.

burstman59

I too wanted one when they 1st announced them a few yrs back. I'm pretty sure they did not finish the total run of 100. alot of them went to Japan. highest # I've seen was in the late 30s. Makin Music as well as a few others had them in their shops for quite a while. best street price I was quoted back then was around 5500 but some dealers were asking over 6k. i bought one of the Rossington LPs # 047 which belongs to a forum bro now and am looking for one the Allen Collins Explorers. I have a decent replica of one now but want one of these. I am going to sell my Murphy R9 and my 64 SG to try and find one. so if anybody has a heads up email me. by the Allen Collins I would love to own all three if only for a little while.

Yunpac

if it were mine, I would have to change out the bridge too. I'd throw the harmonica in the case for safe keeping (in case of sale later).

I couldn't sleep at night knowing that monstrosity was on there!

PS THANKS for the Pics - AWESOME GUIT!

Last edited:

driver75

Allen, Thanks for showing us those beautiful guitars, But you are right in the end your Family and Friends are the most valuable possesions you could ever have. Peace and God Bless you and yours.:jim