• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Gibson U2 model?

LPNick

Browsin through Ebay and cought sight of a Gibson U2. Looks very similar to the HM Strats, but gibson so its better! Jk. But anyway, anyone ever tried one of these, and if so do they sound similar or even better than the HM strats?

burstbucker1

i think they are real similar to the chevelle guitars..if i remember correctly the guy that went on to produce the chevelle's, created these when he worked for Gibson..i've seen them pretty cheap..around the 200.00..never seen anyone go crazy over them

DannyBoy

They drip with Norlin-esque goodness.

Imagine a strat with none of the ergonomics. Cross that with a les paul that sounds like crap. Now you're getting close.

Magnum

Okay. Now from someone who has actually owned one. They were designed during the time Wayne Charvel (not Chevelle) was at Gibson. The same Wayne Charvel who founded Charvel/Jackson guitars with Grover Jackson before selling out to him. This was post Norlin-era Gibson. They play very similar to a neck-through Jackson Soloist and sound similar. There were a couple of different versions. One with binding that had a chunkier looking head stock and the later ones with no binding and an Explorer headstock. The later versions were of better quality. They had ebony 24 fret fingerboards and were of excellent quality. Ones in good shape are currently going for around $800. I wish I had mine back but needed cash and had to sell a bunch of stuff that I didn't want to sell. These aren't crap guitars so don't listen to bullshit opinions from people who have never played one. Let me know if you have any other questions.

DannyBoy

I owned 2 of these dead-wood abominations. They are nothing like neck-thru Jackson soloists- those are usually good guitars.

BTW, I've also owned the equally bad WRC model.

I said Norlin-esque; as in inspired by Norlin.

So... Magnum piss off, eh?

On the other hand, if YOU are happy with these jizz-casters more power to you. You won't have much trouble getting them for a reasonable sum.

Magnum

I guess then you're a dumbass for buying two of them. I had a later one that played and sounded great and I owned a Jackson neck-thru Soloist at the same time to compare it to.

DannyBoy

Actually I owned a store and took them on trade; but hey- good job assuming things you don't know.

Magnum

I'm not going to get in a pissing match on the Internet. Why didn't you just directly answer the guy's questions and list some specs, etc. I happened to have a good one that I liked. You didn't. So be it. I have nothing against you at all. I just get testy when someone asks a question and doesn't get a real answer. You're answer of "imagine a Strat with none of the ergonomics" is off base. A Strat is a 21 or 22 fret bolt on neck with either a maple or rosewood fingerboard. A U2 is a 24 fret neck-thru with an ebony fingerboard. They are apples and oranges. If you owned a store please share your knowledge of the actual instruments. If you want to discuss that's cool. I have now laid off of the personal attacks (even though I thought of a couple of good ones :) ) and expect the same in return. After all, we don't know each other personally and would probably get along great if we met. We're both just outspoken. :salude

58Lover

I'll jump in and back Magnum on that, as I have played both his and a couple of others over the years. Outside of perhaps changing a pickup or two, the ones that I played were quite alright, although not my cup of tea as I'm an LP kind of guy.

Your results may vary.

johnnyslim

I'm with you Magnum. I had a Gibson US-1, black, gold hardware, stoptail with wired ABR-1, humbucker bridge and two single coils. Personally, I thought it was a great guitar and loved it. It had three separate switches, one for each pickup and one knob was a push/pull to split the humbucker to a single coil. Fine guitars but not the right product for Gibson to introduce. Gibson had no business playing in the super Strat area.

I came across a guy at the Dallas guitar show 2-3 years ago that had a seriously flamed US-1 for sale with a stoptail and ABR-1. He wanted $600 and I planned on going back the next day to get it. When I got there it had sold. I have not seen one since but if I do I will probably buy one.

DannyBoy

The US-1 and U2 were completely different beasts. The question was asked about the U2.

The US-1 had a curly maple top/back/sides over a balsa "core" (remember the reference to the near fictional patented Gibson substance "chromyte"?) split pearoid inlays, 3 humbucking pups (2 were single coil sized), gold harware, etc... it was actually a primo guitar, endorsed by Wayne "the Animal" Turner ofthe Hank Williams Jr. band.

On the other hand, the U2 was all basswood- no figured maple anywhere, blah pickups, dot inlays... a real stinker ala Ibanez RG but with a better neck joint.

The WRC was even worse and had a bolt on neck. reportedly Wayne was so pissed at Gibson bastardizing his ideas that he jumped ship and left a LOT of money "on the table" to do so.

johnnyslim

Sorry, DannyBoy....I stand corrected. I am obviously not familiar with the U2 guitar. Let's move along....there is nothing to see here.

Magnum

I agree with DannyBoy about the WRC. I also think the early U2's sucked. The later ones, like I had, had a Limited Edition sticker on the back of the headstock similar to what the Custom Shop now uses. (not insinuating it is a Custom Shop guitar.) Those are the ones that were of much better quality.

texasjtl3

well....as long as the furor has died down....i'll heat it back up !!!

i've got a Mark II (very similar to the U2's) that i bought new in my youth, first new guitar i've ever owned. i've owned 30 guitars since then, but i still have the II. i still like the feel better that any of my Pauls.

flame on !!!

58Lover

Your MIII is absolutely kick ass. Yuo should toss some pics of that bad boy up here.

Allen Collins

I had one in sea blue. I did not like it. The tremolo did not work well even with the locking nut. I was not happy with it and sold it on.
Not one of Gibsons finest moments.
Allen.