• THIS IS THE 25th ANNIVERSARY YEAR FOR THE LES PAUL FORUM! PLEASE CELEBRATE WITH US AND SUPPORT US WITH A DONATION TO KEEP US GOING! We've made a large financial investment to convert the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and now have to move to a new host. We also have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!
  • WE ARE MOVING THE LES PAUL FORUM TO A NEW HOSTING PROVIDER OVER THE NEXT 5-10 DAYS. We will experience downtime during that period. Please be patient and have confidence that we will return! Many thanks, Mike Slubowski, Admin

Microchips in Gibsons - R8 cut in half -

Timster

Hey guys, this should be something interesting and definately good for all of us in the future. I don't know since when but Gibson is installing Microchips in their models to protect themselfs from chinese copys etc.. I know for sure all R8s and R9s have it. I guess its a pretty simple chip which stores all the information about this guitar and can be read out with some kind of device at Gibson. :hmm Anyway I think its pretty cool.

:jim

kd9Fq0ocxl1exLpVaX7btEQUMWZPSdlS030.jpg

Timster

Sorry can't remember exactly. The serialnumber was mostly cut off but the yearnumber should have been visible. I think it was a 2006 Ice Tea Plain top.

J-J

a pretty simple chip which stores all the information about this guitar and can be read out with some kind of device at Gibson.

Great idea but it how many sellers are going to let you haul the guitar to Gibson to get it read??? Even with a 48hr approval period, it's tough. Even if there put a reader in every Gibson authorised dealer, it would be tough to get authenticated for many people who don't live close to one.

I think if it's not where anyone can access it and can't get it verified over the phone or internet than it don't help much.

Greco

As far as I remember they've been doing this for ages now and they are the same kind or chips used to microchip your cat or dog, so I'm guessing the scanner would be the same (?)

Bainzy

Notice how thick the truss rod condom isn't? I wonder what year they started using these thinner non-tone-robbing sheaths, as plaintop60 also remarked that his guitar had one of these thinner ones.

I'm glad to see guitar companies are doing this, not only can it help stamp out forgeries but it should also be able to utilised for guitars that are stolen. Coming to think of it, I might put something in the guitars I'm building in case any of them get nicked.

LPBrian

Unless I'm missing something here ......... my question is:

Why did you cut an R8 in half?????:wah

Timster

Coming to think of it, I might put something in the guitars I'm building in case any of them get nicked.

A GPS Tracking system would be great :rofl at least for the real bursts.

Timster

Here are some more pics:

zvCUtLg21boyXkJrhXJU--5lEzjD3UdA030.jpg

GFPL5ntgi6eEOqJWr7F5tQAExbgUw6Iv030.jpg

Headstock:

ztch0j5BCg2yLP3mxB4jEaUKWiFsHgX0300.jpg

I also think the truss-rod condom issue is total nonsence.

Timster

Unless I'm missing something here ......... my question is:

Why did you cut an R8 in half?????:wah
:laugh2: No of course I didn't. I've been told Gibson gave a few selected dealers a half R8 to show their customers what it looks like on the inside.

J T

Is that neck rosewood/maple/mahogany?:hmm

KOTR

Why does it look like the neck is made from two different types of wood? It appears that the maple top runs the entire length of the neck?

marshall1987

Hey guys, this should be something interesting and definately good for all of us in the future. I don't know since when but Gibson is installing Microchips in their models to protect themselfs from chinese copys etc.. I know for sure all R8s and R9s have it. I guess its a pretty simple chip which stores all the information about this guitar and can be read out with some kind of device at Gibson. :hmm Anyway I think its pretty cool.

kd9Fq0ocxl1exLpVaX7btEQUMWZPSdlS030.jpg

Hmm? That's a strange looking neck in the photo. Looks like a laminated maple/mahogony neck. Maple on the top and mahogony on the bottom. I have never seen a Gibson with a composite neck like that. What's up with the photo? Just a mockup or something to illustrate the neck construction?

IRussell

The maple strip you see in the neck just fills the truss rod channel route between rod and fingerboard. It's a mahogany neck.

Better view thanks to Timster:

GFPL5ntgi6eEOqJWr7F5tQAExbgUw6Iv030.jpg

V S

I 've just seen one of those half Les Pauls at Thomann in Germany. It's hanging at the same shelf as the Les Paul where u can quickly change pickups ins some seconds. Didn't notice and chips, though.

J T

I wonder why they put the chip in the neck? Necks can be replaced. Why not in the body? So which part actually is considered Gibson? The body or the neck?

I would think that the body should get the chip.

IRussell

Were the original 50's Les Pauls constructed like that?

Indeed, necks had a fillet in the channel.

Didn't the Gibson truss rod necks from the 20's on have this (maple?) filler strip as part of the design?

Last edited: