• THIS IS THE 25th ANNIVERSARY YEAR FOR THE LES PAUL FORUM! PLEASE CELEBRATE WITH US AND SUPPORT US WITH A DONATION TO KEEP US GOING! We've made a large financial investment to convert the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and now have to move to a new host. We also have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!
  • WE ARE MOVING THE LES PAUL FORUM TO A NEW HOSTING PROVIDER OVER THE NEXT 5-10 DAYS. We will experience downtime during that period. Please be patient and have confidence that we will return! Many thanks, Mike Slubowski, Admin

Gibson Admitting Maraca Effect

Rare Form

I just spoke with Gibson about the wood shavings in the chambered Pauls. I am buying a new Classic Antique from a West Coast dealer, and I live on the East coast. I had it inspected over the phone and I asked about the maraca effect. And, yes there is a bit of sound in the chambers when moved around.
Now this is a shame because it is a beautiful guitar in all other aspects.

I called Gibson and asked them what they are doing about this. They said it is wood shavings that get in there when they drill the tail piece strap button.
<<<<GIBSON>>>>:tri

They said that it will be covered as a warranty repair or suggested that you take the strap button out and put some glue in the hole and shake the wood shavings down to the area where the glue is and the glue will pick up the wood shavings.

That's a job I want! Glue in the hole and shake the guitar in hopes of catching the wood shavings. .

Reminds me of the old Ball Bearing games...
mazegame.jpg

I am a fan of some of the chambered Pauls. They sound great. But, this is ridiculous. Hey Gibson, here's an idea...drill the frickin holes before you glue the top on you bunch of idiots.

The other option is to send it back to Gibson as a warranty repair. Yeah, right. I could build my own in that time

I don't know what to do. I want another Paul as my workhorse so I don't need to bring my Custom Shops all over the place. A little wood shavings might not be bad, but they would drive me crazy, just knowing I paid for a "quality" guitar with this romper room stuff going on. I think I might just hold out until I can find one without the shavings. I cannot afford a R0. I might just see if I can pick up another 356 at this point.

Gibson says it has happened but not that frequently. Well, almost everyone I talked with says it has happened.

So, now a new trend in the musicians sub culture....walking into a guitar store and seeing dudes holding Les Pauls up to their ears and shaking the guitar. We have now gone totally insane.

Last edited:

Beano Geno

Another brilliant marketing ploy by Gibson!! Two instruments for the price of one....the guitar / maraca combo! Brilliant!!:wail

led zep fan

Banned
It's unbelievable that they allow this to go on, and have the nerve to give instructions on how to fix it yourself. So the strap button hole leads directly into the chamber?!?

Wire and wood

The other option might be that there is a backlash against these things in the market and Gibson go back to building solid bodies???

Yeah, yeah, I know the wood is crappy, some people like them, they're lighter and sound as good or better etc. etc. etc. and so on and so forth...

Rare Form

So the strap button hole leads directly into the chamber?!?

It seems that way. They are either over drilling into the cavity or making the cavity too big. And by Axel's analogy, it would then need a colostomy bag.

J.D.

I am a fan of some of the chambered Pauls. They sound great. But, this is ridiculous. Hey Gibson, here's an idea...drill the frickin holes before you glue the top on you bunch of idiots.

That is the real solution to the problem. I'm not sure how I'd feel about my chamber filled with glue, might throw off the precision acoustics. :ganz

Lardvader

Surprised they didn't suggest you squirt some lighter fuel in the hole and incinerate the shavings!

buyusfear

Whats funny is that they tell you to squirt glue in there, which is the most absurd thing I've ever heard.
But on top of that, they have the gull to say, "or it will be a warranty claim, so send it back to us" to basically squirt glue in ther themselves, meanwhile you risk shipping it etc etc.

J T

I'm not convinced that the other end of the strap screw hole leads to an empty chamber. That screw isn't that long.

Maybe you could drill it out a bit more and use it to stash things. Tie a string to them and pull em out when you need em.:##

J T

Hey Gibson, here's an idea...drill the frickin holes before you glue the top on you bunch of idiots.

I don't think that is possible. The holes must be drilled after the top is on to acheive correct alignment of the neck to the bridge and tailpiece.

toneshun

I just spoke with Gibson about the wood shavings in the chambered Pauls. I am buying a new Classic Antique from a West Coast dealer, and I live on the East coast. I had it inspected over the phone and I asked about the maraca effect. And, yes there is a bit of sound in the chambers when moved around.
Now this is a shame because it is a beautiful guitar in all other aspects.

I called Gibson and asked them what they are doing about this. They said it is wood shavings that get in there when they drill the tail piece strap button.
<<<<GIBSON>>>>:tri

They said that it will be covered as a warranty repair or suggested that you take the strap button out and put some glue in the hole and shake the wood shavings down to the area where the glue is and the glue will pick up the wood shavings.

That's a job I want! Glue in the hole and shake the guitar in hopes of catching the wood shavings. .

Reminds me of the old Ball Bearing games...
mazegame.jpg

The other option is to send it back to Gibson as a warranty repair. Yeah, right. I could build my own in that time

I don't know what to do. I want another Paul as my workhorse so I don't need to bring my Custom Shops all over the place. A little wood shavings might not be bad, but they would drive me crazy, just knowing I paid for a "quality" guitar with this romper room stuff going on. I think I might just hold out until I can find one without the shavings. I cannot afford a R0. I might just see if I can pick up another 356 at this point.

Gibson says it has happened but not that frequently. Well, almost everyone I talked with says it has happened.

So, now a new trend in the musicians sub culture....walking into a guitar store and seeing dudes holding Les Pauls up to their ears and shaking the guitar. We have now gone totally insane.

holy crap! that's as bad as some 'foreign' no-namer copies !!
you SHOULD get your $$$ back...

schlacker

This is so laughable! Gibson should replace or refund the guitars, if they can't do a quality, timely turnaround. Ridiculus!