• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!
  • WE ARE MOVING THE LES PAUL FORUM TO A NEW HOSTING PROVIDER OVER THE NEXT 5-10 DAYS. We will experience downtime during that period. Please be patient and have confidence that we will return! Many thanks, Mike Slubowski, Admin

Crack Moment: LP Special or Tele

opdev

So for some reason I have been thinking about selling many of my guitars (mostly new and one 2nd tier vintage). I won't list them since this is not a for sale ad.

Assuming I sold a bunch of guitars amps, I'd net about 20K.

At this level, I'd be able to get into an original LP special or a beat up 50's tele/

Would this be a wise move? I'd definately play the guitar and keep it until I croaked and the kiddies could then sell it.

The stuff I'd keep would still give me a nice selection

1) 50's tele or 60's LP Special
2) My 1959 Supro Belmont (would not sell this one)
3) Martin 0M-28V
4) National Tricone
5) My Line 6 Variax :) :) :)

Amps
My '73 Vibrolux
My 5E3 clone (with orig speaker) and a RI reverb unit.

I'd be giving up 6 guitars and 2 amps to get there (all custom shop stuff).

Is one top tier vintage guitar (must be a great player) better than a mish mash of stuff, especially since I don't gig and won't worry about breaking it at gigs? Or am I just an idiot that would be paying too much for an old geetar.

I realize this is peanuts in the land of the '59 bursts ;)

reswot

It'd be really cool to own either of those guitars... However, I'd rather have 6 guitars and 2 amps than a single guitar.

If I had to choose, between the guitars, though, I'd probably go with the Special. It seems that whenever I take my Historic Special to practice, I end up using that guitar for everything (even on songs for which I normally use a Tele or Strat). It just really covers the spectrum very well; I'd imagine that a vintage model would do even better.

opdev

It seems a little crazy. I do have an Historic 1960 Special that I love. I'd probably lean towards the special myself.

However, I keep buying new CS stuff thinking I can't afford a vintage guitar and 20-30K later I have alot of gear.

Dutch53GT

All I need is one good guitar,
why would you play 6 guitars that you like instead of 1 that you love?

I did the same thing as you 3 years ago and never looked back.
Good luck!

Geetar

Right now, I'd say Tele, if "beat" isn't another way of saying "fairly non-original'. A beat, all-original Tele would be capable of covering most styles for me. I've got examples of both types of guitar, and it seems the Tele is the better all-rounder for blues, rock and fusion. But of course, YMMV.

Oh, and it's worth mentioning- I was the one playing a Fender on the Ca. Tone Test photos, so I'm not the most reliable Gibson-head on this forum:salude

kharrison

Get the Special, it's a cool guitar, P90 tone all day and prices are still in reason....well sort of. I'm a gibby guy also.

shuie

This is a gibson forum, so Im not sure what kind of response you expect. However, let me be the first to say 'sell it all and buy the old tele' :) You could probably get a really nice mid-late '50s Esquire for less than $20k.

mingus

I'm in favor of consolidating too. Why babysit a bunch of mediocre stuff instead of a few outstanding guitars?

As far as what to get? That BG Tele looks like a great deal. You'll have to go out and play some guitars and decide for yourself. Have fun!

DANELECTRO

Here's a thought. Just sell 2 or 3 of the guitars and buy a nice player instument with issues. I just saw this morning that freedomguitar.com has got a nice looking refinished 1960 Special priced at $7500. I own a refinished 1960 Special myself, and it's an killer guitar. It has all the mojo without the high overhead. Of course a refinished guitar is never going to have equal value of a guitar that's 100%, but looking at it from an investment point of view, its still going to appreciate at a similar rate.

opdev

Tele was just one option....

LP Special was the other.

I do own CS versions of both and they are my 2 favorites/

opdev

My worry is that my Historics, Fender CS stuff is just as nice as a vintage axe and I'd get rid of them and be sorry.

LowE

Opdev, that 52 tele at Jay's looks really cool. If it's a great player, which juging by its *heavily* played looks it is, and if it's got all the right parts on it -- I'd seriously consider it. I also know of a nicely refinned 52 tele in better shape for less. But at the end of the day, you should decide on a Special vs Tele on a guitar by guitar basis and based on your own personal preference. My guess is you'll wind up getting both at some point anyway... :)

L

LPDEN

It seems a little crazy. I do have an Historic 1960 Special that I love. I'd probably lean towards the special myself.

However, I keep buying new CS stuff thinking I can't afford a vintage guitar and 20-30K later I have alot of gear.

Boy, can I ever relate to that! :)

We're just about in the same boat. For me, knowing that I am actually getting what my cash is going towards is why I have stayed with the Historics. Though I have grabed a few Vintage guitars along the way, I just like going the CS path when the pickings for decent Vintage gear is either not up to snuff or has a pie in the sky selling price...

DrRobert

Les Paul Forum Member
I started out collecting custom shop and small luthier stuff, and to be honest there's a few pieces I wish I'd kept. But I don't regret buying my old wood at all. I love a Tele and a Special, neither would be my one guitar if I could only afford one (for me that'd be a semi-hollow with PAFs) but I did and would again sell the modern stuff for an old piece or two...

soldano16

All I need is one good guitar,
why would you play 6 guitars that you like instead of 1 that you love?

I did the same thing as you 3 years ago and never looked back.
Good luck!

Amen (with allowance for having both a P90 and humbucker Les Paul)

vic108

Tele was just one option....

LP Special was the other.

I do own CS versions of both and they are my 2 favorites/

Well, if you play out alot would you be afraid to bring
that Special or Tele to a gig without worry?

IMHO, there are gig guitars and studio guitars.
Having a mixture is GREAT! The more the merrier!
Keep the CS's!

Never buy a guitar you'll be afraid to gig without having
others to do so. The "too cute to fuck" syndrone sucks
the fewer guitars you have.

WurstBurst

Let's do the math:

Today: 10 guitars, 4 amps, 2 hands

Tomorrow: 5 guitars, 2 amps, 2 hands

You can only play one at a time...Spend more time with the 5 you love and sell the 6 you only like.

I'd consolidate. Your heirs will thank you too.