• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Burst Pic of the Week: Not an "issue" to me!

Tom Wittrock

Les Paul Forum Co-Owner
Check out the added piece of mahogany Gibson used on this Burst neck joint!

normal_DSCN3359.JPG

Definitely factory original!
Another angle:
normal_DSCN3358.JPG

This beautiful Burst, 9-0879 is in outstanding original condition, with all it's deep cherry red still unfaded!
[sorry for the poor quality pic :dang]
normal_Dscn2128.JPG

This added mahogany seems familiar, like I have seen it done before. :hmm Anybody seen this on a 50's Gibson before?
While to some, this may be an "issue", to me it is one more thing that makes this Burst unique and wonderful! :dude:

Marshallhead

WOW!:wail

That color is just amazing!:wail

Never seen that shim before Tom. It is unique and cool.:2zone :2zone :2zone :2zone

kharrison

normal_DSCN3359.JPG

Another angle:
normal_DSCN3358.JPG

This beautiful Burst, 9-0879 is in outstanding original condition, with all it's deep cherry red still unfaded!
normal_Dscn2128.JPG

This added mahogany seems familiar, like I have seen it done before. :hmm Anybody seen this on a 50's Gibson before?
While to some, this may be an "issue", to me it is one more thing that makes this Burst unique and wonderful! :dude:

Almost looks like a darkburst, or is it?

MapleFlame

Hell I'd do-er. No complaints from me, I think it looks like it's almost new. TW was this yours at one time or is. I can't beleive how good the color is. Not much light for sure. One thing I like about the darker burst, the inlays look prettier. Thanks for the pic

rays44

normal_DSCN3359.JPG

Another angle:
normal_DSCN3358.JPG

normal_Dscn2128.JPG

Would that be a shim to correct for lateral movement of the neck?:hmm

goldtop0

To me that's a very unique top for a '59 and finish/colour.Great to see.
Thanks TW.

plaintop

That's my absolute favorite 'burst finish. The darker cherry ones are stunning. 9 0925 has the same finish...

main.php

Cogswell

The Duke of Dumbassery
You'd never hear the end of it if that was on an Historic.
Thanks TW for yet another informative thread! It's info-tainment!

RAB

JA- me likee! And Gibson figured why discard a perfectly good guitar neck or body if it could be fixed with a little shim! Kinda like the mentality behind the black-painted "stingers", (covering minor wood flaws) and allowing otherwise good necks to be used, no?

cfh

Yes I have a blond 1958 es-335 that has the same treatment to the neck heel.

MikeSlub

Administrator
Yes I have a blond 1958 es-335 that has the same treatment to the neck heel.

Not to hijack this thread, but cfh, if you're up to it, could you post some :photos of that beauty of yours in the "Other Gibsons" section? Some of us need to drool over it. Many thanks! :salude

jaegerguitars

Whoa!

This is so cool, TW!

For me the shim is not a sign for bricolage; it stands for the fact that the due of craftmanship by hand was way bigger than today....isn´t it?

Mark

Down here we call this kinda flaw a holiday.. This would make it a holiday burst