• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

58 Historic Black Top made for Sam Ash

wavygravy

Does anyone recall the list price and new street price for the 58 Historic Black Top models made for Sam Ash in 2000? Thanks:salude

Heme

Hey girly boy, stop crying about the price and lay your money down
Sorry couldnt resist... I love that model, Id be interested to know too.

DANELECTRO

I have an April 2001 catalog that shows a list price of $3462.00 and the Sam Ash price at $2499.99. This is a '58 RI with an ebony top and a natural back.

JackD

Amazing, 5 years later, I'm looking for this information and I found it!!

kwest

Those are so cool.Here is a photo I copied from ebay a couple of years ago. I think this one sold for about $2000

1f6e_3.jpg

Redhod

We had a little discussion going a while ago about black Historics.

This one.

I do remember that special run of black R8s because I had my hands on one at the New Haven Sam Ash a few years ago and JUST LOVED IT. They dropped the price to a little over 2 grand, which was then a little over my budget. I got home and decided, hell no, I want that guitar. When I got back -- it was gone.

I still miss it!

My first inspiration for an LP was seeing Mike Bloomfield and his burst closeup in his Electric Flag days. But after that I kept seeing player with black LPs -- Jimmy Page, Jeff Beck, John Fogerty, Neil Young -- even Leon Russell!
So I think the black LP is a heroic thing, you know.

oldflame

Saw Gazza playing that signature LP in the Thin Lizzy Phil Lynott Tribute concert on the telly just last night. Recorded in 2006 I think.

He really made it talk that night.

Love the black-tops. They all seem to float around the 9Ib mark though.

Redhod

Danelectro, you get a special citation for that -- with oak leaf clusters!

I think that the handsomest model. Why would Gibson make just 75?