• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Vol/Tone knobs wont fit cts pots

jkmcgrath

Good Morning Guys,

Yesterday I finaly got around to installing my RS wiring kit that I have had for a couple of years (yeah I know but I have been busy lol) anywhos my 03 std has that metal plate with a riveted block there for the output jack and the selector switch. Once I sorted out the differences between the RS schematic and the actual guitar wiring I got busy and installed it.

Everything soldered up nicely and was quite pleased with my work. :dude:

Plugged it in and was ready to see the improvement. Quick strum, had sound in both pickups, volumes worked, tones worked, pickup selector worked so I am in business. I noticed however that all the pots had less of a range of adjustment over the stock pots that were in there. I had read else where on here where others have had the same impression so I went to put the knobs back on so I could see if the numbers (1-5 eg) were the same and that is where it went south.

They dont fit. At first I thought they just needed to be spread a tad so I did and it of course tightend the fit of the knob but it still would not go all the way on. So when I look and see that the bottom of the knob is hitting the tapered part of the pot shaft. Grab the mics and it is about .010ish larger than the knob opening. The knob is not going to fit unless modified to slide over that larger shaft. I attached a pic so you all can see what I am talking about. Even if the knob will slide over the shaft, the shaft has so much sticking up that the knob will set to far off the guitar and look bad. I looked at some other pots I have and they are more like the stock gibson. Even adjusting the threaded part farther down in the nut it would not bring it close enough.

In searching the forums I have not found anyone else that has had this same issue. I would like to get this done this weekend so I thought I would post and see if anyone had a work around or what the deal is.

rsguitarworks.jpg

TBurst Std

Well I can tell you what NOT to do. Don't have your daughter smack them with the palm of her hand. :) See the thread Screwed the Pooch.

I had her place new knobs on my previously installed RS pots. Guess they were a little tight and loss 2 pots. Once I get new pots, I will just ream out the knobs a little.

ElfinMagic

reaming the bad knobs was an "ok" thing to do, but as I stated in your other post, get the correct knobs ...Allparts might be the way to go.

jkmcgrath

ElfinMagic said:
reaming the bad knobs was an "ok" thing to do, but as I stated in your other post, get the correct knobs ...Allparts might be the way to go.

Dont think that was me. This is my first post about this. :)

TBurst Std

ElfinMagic said:

The knobs were new Stew Macs. Would figure those are as good as AllParts.

rsrelic

Les Paul Forum Member
TBurst Std said:
The knobs were new Stew Macs. Would figure those are as good as AllParts.
Stem Mac Pots are metric pline and will not fit CTS pots well. Go for the Allparts of stock Gibson pots.

rsrelic

Les Paul Forum Member
jkmcgrath said:
I noticed however that all the pots had less of a range of adjustment over the stock pots that were in there. I had read else where on here where others have had the same impression so I went to put the knobs back on so I could see if the numbers (1-5 eg) were the same and that is where it went south.

They dont fit. At first I thought they just needed to be spread a tad so I did and it of course tightend the fit of the knob but it still would not go all the way on. So when I look and see that the bottom of the knob is hitting the tapered part of the pot shaft. Grab the mics and it is about .010ish larger than the knob opening. The knob is not going to fit unless modified to slide over that larger shaft. I attached a pic so you all can see what I am talking about. Even if the knob will slide over the shaft, the shaft has so much sticking up that the knob will set to far off the guitar and look bad. I looked at some other pots I have and they are more like the stock gibson. Even adjusting the threaded part farther down in the nut it would not bring it close enough.

In searching the forums I have not found anyone else that has had this same issue. I would like to get this done this weekend so I thought I would post and see if anyone had a work around or what the deal is.

Gibson uses at least three different knob suppliers that I know of. With two of them this is never a problem, but the other supplier it's always an issue. You can open up the bottom of the knob a little, or just use Allparts or packaged Gibson knobs. I really have no idea what you mean by less range of adjustment, so could you please explain that?? All pots have the same turn ratio so the numbers on the knobs are correct, so I don't get your meaning.

Roy

jkmcgrath

rsrelic said:
Gibson uses at least three different knob suppliers that I know of. With two of them this is never a problem, but the other supplier it's always an issue. You can open up the bottom of the knob a little, or just use Allparts or packaged Gibson knobs. I really have no idea what you mean by less range of adjustment, so could you please explain that?? All pots have the same turn ratio so the numbers on the knobs are correct, so I don't get your meaning.

Roy

Thanks Roy, I will order some knobs and see how they work, if I have to I will just open the bottom up to slide over with a drill bit. Just hoping I didnt have to do this.

On the range of adjustment, the changes occurred in only a small range, like the control was practicaly on or off it, there wasnt a range with subtle differences. If that makes any sense.

jkmcgrath

I have the knobs fitting flat down on the pots now. After I found some in stock at musiciansfriend, I decided to take a .250 drill bit and by hand open the first .125 or so. Well, by hand it it was hard to keep 90* to the hole so here is what I did and it works so well!

Chuck up a .250 drill bit in your drill press (I have a $39 from Harbor Frieght that is good enough for most needs) make sure you have plenty of room to get your hands under the bit, fire up the drill press and FIRMLY (safely lol) hold your knob and just press it lightly up to the drill bit. I used a new one and honestly you cannot tell I did anything to the knob. In my case it was only removing .010 of material.

Becareful though cause a drill bit will naturaly try and pull what its drilling up. But really you are not drilling deep enough into the knob to be a problem if you are careful and paying attention.

Anyway this saves $20 for new knobs so even if you buy the drill press its a cheap and quaility fix for $40. Plus you will have more uses for a drill press once you own it.

TBurst Std

rsrelic said:
Stem Mac Pots are metric pline and will not fit CTS pots well. Go for the Allparts of stock Gibson pots.

Good to know. Knowledge is now acquired.

TBurst Std

jkmcgrath said:
I have the knobs fitting flat down on the pots now. After I found some in stock at musiciansfriend, I decided to take a .250 drill bit and by hand open the first .125 or so. Well, by hand it it was hard to keep 90* to the hole so here is what I did and it works so well!

Chuck up a .250 drill bit in your drill press (I have a $39 from Harbor Frieght that is good enough for most needs) make sure you have plenty of room to get your hands under the bit, fire up the drill press and FIRMLY (safely lol) hold your knob and just press it lightly up to the drill bit. I used a new one and honestly you cannot tell I did anything to the knob. In my case it was only removing .010 of material.

Becareful though cause a drill bit will naturaly try and pull what its drilling up. But really you are not drilling deep enough into the knob to be a problem if you are careful and paying attention.

Anyway this saves $20 for new knobs so even if you buy the drill press its a cheap and quaility fix for $40. Plus you will have more uses for a drill press once you own it.

NBo drill press here. Thoughts were to grab somne bits and "hand" ream them. Really a sort of "trial" process I was planning on.

TBurst Std

Well, all went well EXCEPT.

The tabs broke off on the BV pot. Will be calling Roy in the AM.

uncle looie

My knobs were all too loose with the RS pots. Had to put some paper in the holes in the knobs to tighten up the fit.