• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Tailpiece Height

redjet55

well depending on the neck angle, without topwrapping you can only go so low before the string behind the saddle hits the back of the bridge.

I can get the tailpiece pretty far down on my r-7 but only about half way on my classic.

Btw changing how low the tailpiece is affects mostly the feel, basically the harder the angle the stiffer the strings feel, sustain maybe, as the angle might help to isolate the string ahead of the bridge from the string behind the bridge but I don’t know that for anything but conjecture on my part.

check the threads on top wrapping for more theories...

GeeJay

The tailpiece should be just high enough to allow the strings to clear the back of the bridge. For my 02 Std, that means that the studs are about 3/16" (5mm) above the body. I have put spacers in so that the studs can be tightened properly (see below) I think this helps with sustain.
8-picture1.jpg

8-picture2.jpg

J T

GeeJay said:
The tailpiece should be just high enough to allow the strings to clear the back of the bridge.

+1 on keeping the strings off the back of the bridge. You want a single point of contact on the bridge. That point should be on the bridge saddles. That puts the pressure straight down into the bridge pins. A second point of contact on the back of the bridge would alter that angle and put the downward stress more toward the neck. The bridge or the bridge pins will eventually bend because of this and need to be replaced.

GeeJay, where did you get those spacers? Are they aluminum?

winter

here's a tuning (intonation) tip : the lower the tailpiece, the more 'up the neck', the bridge tuners will be moved to..so you can get them centered, for ? more stability. or to copy the angle of the strings @ the nut (neck).

GeeJay

JT, One of the guys at work made the spacers for me out of aluminium.

1/2" diameter bar, drill 5/16" hole down the middle using a lathe, part-off to suit the height you want, in my case 3/16".

J T

So you are increasing the surface area that is in contact with the body. Sounds like the same effect as dropping the tailpiece down to the body, but without the negative impact on the bridge.

What a nice innovation. Good Job!

Wilko

All Access/Backstage Pass
I have an old Les Paul brochure that actually says to set the Tailpiece height to adjust string tension.

phil47uk

My R0 (Humph ) has the tail all the way down and the top E string is just nearly touching the saddle. The rest are clear. Not top wrapped either.

Phil.

GeeJay

J T said:
So you are increasing the surface area that is in contact with the body. Sounds like the same effect as dropping the tailpiece down to the body, but without the negative impact on the bridge.

What a nice innovation. Good Job!
I think it has a lot to do with the studs actually being tight. Without the spacers there would be some energy lost in the slight 'looseness' of the thread.

Wilco, do Gibson say anything about the strings touching the back of the bridge?

Phil, I think historics tend to have less neck angle than standards, so a lower tailpiece (and bridge) is more typical.

Cheers!

phil47uk

GeeJay said:
Phil, I think historics tend to have less neck angle than standards, so a lower tailpiece (and bridge) is more typical.

Cheers!

Thanks Geejay... Something else I have learned in here..

Phil. :)

Gold Tone

winter said:
here's a tuning (intonation) tip : the lower the tailpiece, the more 'up the neck', the bridge tuners will be moved to..so you can get them centered, for ? more stability. or to copy the angle of the strings @ the nut (neck).

:wha

J T

There is a really good example of bent bridge post with a tailpiece that is down to the body in this thread. (click here)

(Sincere apologies to tottus. I'm not picking on you or anything, but if you didn't realize it I do see this in the picture of your guitar.)

Considering that there wasn't some sort of accident that caused this, this bridge has two thumbwheels, but look at the angle between them. They should be parallel. The bridge post is bent. The other thing to look at is how far back the bridge saddle is on the lower E string to compensate for the intonation problem that is now present in that guitar due to the forward position of the bridge.

That is what I was talking about with the downward angle pressure pulling toward the neck. You want that pressure straight down. Not at an angle. I'm sure hand pressure just contributed to the post bend. If the pressure is straight down you shouldn't see this.

Armitage

Wilko said:
I have an old Les Paul brochure that actually says to set the Tailpiece height to adjust string tension.

Which way does it say does what?