• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

I polished my ES-333

DANELECTRO

I was swapping pickups on my faded-finish ES-333 this afternoon and while I had it apart, I started thinking about polishing out the satin finish. I tried some Meguiar's #7 polish under the pickguard and it actually did a pretty good job of converting the satin to a gloss, so I decided to do the rest of the guitar. I removed the controls and tuners and polished the entire guitar, including the headstock face. It took and hour or so of elbow grease, but was well worth the work. The finish polished out nicely, and I think the gloss gives the guitar a more finished look, more 335-like. If you look at the surface closely, you can see some light orange peel in the finish, so it probably could have used a light sanding with Micro-Mesh prior to the polish, but overall the results were very good.

gibson03es333016a4io.jpg

yss

That's really cool. It actually has a vintage look to it.

bluesjuke

Came out good!
It does have that vintage look as yss said.

I've had a couple of thoses & would like to have another. I especially like the straight grain in them.

Don

I polished a Highway 1 Strat like that. It came out with a little orange peel also.
I like that they don't come out as shiney as a typical new guitar.

DANELECTRO

SlyStrat said:
Thats nice. I looked at one. How do you like the 333?

I love it. I had initially bought a vintage 1967 335, but then I returned it because I didn't like the skinny neck. The 333 has got a '59 profile neck that feels identical to my R9. As far as tone and playability goes, the 333 is equivalent to a 335 at half the cost. I got a great deal on this used one, $900 with a HSC, pickguard installed, a pair of Seth Lovers + the original pups.

What puts a smile on my face is when I have this cranked up and I hit certain resonant notes and a whoosh of air blows out of the f-hole against my forearm. That really lets you know the hollow body is doing its thing. :dude

TomGuitar

DANELECTRO said:
What puts a smile on my face is when I have this cranked up and I hit certain resonant notes and a whoosh of air blows out of the f-hole against my forearm. That really lets you know the hollow body is doing its thing. :dude

There's nothing like a nice semi-hollow infront of a cooking band. All the air moving makes 'em sing. :biggrin:

MikeSlub

Administrator
Very cool guitar, and I like the polish job a lot - good decision! :dude

scooby

Hey Danelectro,

First off, sweet guitar! :salude I love the look of it!

Next, is the pickguard a standard 335 guard? I'm getting an all
natural 333 on Xmas eve (my girlfriend bought it for me!) :dude :worship

I'm thinking of getting one but I want the correct one. I heard they vary
somewhat.

Thanks in advance! :)

DANELECTRO

scooby said:
Next, is the pickguard a standard 335 guard? I'm getting an all natural 333 on Xmas eve (my girlfriend bought it for me!) :dude :worship

I'm thinking of getting one but I want the correct one. I heard they vary
somewhat.

Thanks in advance! :)

My guitar already had the pickguard on it, which is a WD part. I looked it up on WD's website and found that the pickguard is p/n ES-2403 ($28.95) and the bracket is p/n S175N ($14.95). The fit is good, although its made of a 3 layer laminate rather than a 5 layer, so it doesn't have the wide beveled edge as it should. I would try to get a Gibson part if they're available.

ES-333 with 3 layer guard (prior to polishing):
gibsones3336sl.jpg

1961 ES-335 with 5 layer guard:
613351a0bw.jpg

Q: What's the biggest difference between these two guitars?
A: About $25,000.

Last edited:

Oh_Well!

Dan,

Looks great! I have thought about using Meg's #7. What is the proper technique when applying the polish by hand? Is it similiar to fine waxing a vehicle? Where is the best place to order it online, or can you pick it up at any quality auto parts store. Thanks for your help!

Don

DANELECTRO said:

I like the way the body on my ES-135 seems to swell just before it starts to feedback. Kinda like she's letting you know that it's working for her.
A cranked semi hollow is almost like a living breathing being.

ledbird

Re: Orange peel

What do you mean by Orange Peel? Like, small amounts of dimpling/non-smoothness?

Don

ledbird said:
Re: Orange peel

What do you mean by Orange Peel? Like, small amounts of dimpling/non-smoothness?

Exactly. You can see it on his guitar where the light is reflecting off of it.
Most new cars are covered with it. Most guitars are not as the finish hes been buffed smooth.

bluesjuke

OK you didn't say & no one asked yet.....What pickups did you put in it & how do you like them?