• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!
  • WE ARE MOVING THE LES PAUL FORUM TO A NEW HOSTING PROVIDER OVER THE NEXT 5-10 DAYS. We will experience downtime during that period. Please be patient and have confidence that we will return! Many thanks, Mike Slubowski, Admin

Schaller Straplock installation

Brownsound

Les Paul Froum Member
I bought Schaller straplocks for my SG and LP. The stock screw works for the neck peg but the other screw in the end of the guitar is larger and has a larger head than the screw that comes with the locks. I made the hole larger in the Schaller peg but the head of the stock screw is too large to allow the lock to work. What do you guys do?

Lindgren

Brownsound said:
I bought Schaller straplocks for my SG and LP. The stock screw works for the neck peg but the other screw in the end of the guitar is larger and has a larger head than the screw that comes with the locks. I made the hole larger in the Schaller peg but the head of the stock screw is too large to allow the lock to work. What do you guys do?

Just file the head/top of the screw. until it fit's in the straplock hole.
I did, and it works fine, or use the original Schaller screws.

Last edited:

Andymac

Use the new screw with a match in the hole. Has worked a treat with 3 Lps now.

Andy

Adwex

I installed Dunlops, but had the same exact problem. I wanted to use the larger stock screw, but was forced to use the screw that came with the locks. I used the old "hole remover" trick.....fill the hole with glue (I used Elmer's Carpenter's Wood Glue, the yellow stuff), take some slivers of wooden matchsticks or toothpicks and shove them in the hole, cut anything sticking out so it's flush. Install the screw while the glue is still wet (it will thread into the toothpicks), wipe the excess glue off, let dry. This method is tried and true, it's easy, and very strong.

J

Jeff

I wouldn't use the smaller screws that come with the locks.

If you use the original guitar screws and grind down the heads, they will fit into the strap lock buttons. No need to mess around with glue and toothpicks unless the hole was already stripped.

You will need to slightly open the hole on the button you will use for the bottom of the guitar due to the larger diameter screw.

I do this on all mine and will be doing it tonight again. I way prefer to use the larger screws that come with the guitar.

Gibsonguy55

This thread just reminded me that I REALLY need to get straplocks for my LP and i keep forgetting to.
THANKS LPF!!!

timinator

I drill the strap button for the larger screw. Clamp the screw in the chuck of a drill press and let her rip, using a file work the screw head down to the right size.

Primative

I should mention what happened to me at a gig Sunday evening using Schallers. Betwen songs, I noticed a slight bit of play in the strap on the upper bout. As I removed the strap to inspect the stud in the guitar, I noticed that it had backed out at least a whole turn. I know this may sound way over technical, but Schaller locks that are using the stock (tappered) screws can have a tendancy to loosen up becasue the threads end up with a slight polish. Each time a screw is removed and reinserted, it smooths out the threaded hole in the wood. Resonations and vibrations, which all of our Lesters do, cause the screw to wiggle loose. I highly suggest some type of thread locker or tack on the screw threads as an extra measure. Also do this on the nut on the strap lock itself. Leather expands and contracts, and after being under pressure for some time, collapses, making the thin strap lock nut loose.

Just my experience.

davey

Gimme a dollar dummie!
I do the glue/toothpick thing. Don't insert the screw while the glue is wet. The idea is that you're bonding the toothpicks/matchsticks to the side of the hole in the guitar. The screw then bites into the toothpicks which are bonded to the guitar. If you screw it in while it's wet the glue can dry into the threads of the screw, which can be a slight issue anytime down the road if you for some reason need to remove the straplocks.