• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

1999. R9

shred

Why does someone on an internet forum obsess about having 'vintage correct' inlays etc on his Reissue LP? For the same reason a dog licks his balls...

latestarter

Al, I shall forthwith refer to my inlays on my '99 as being "not to my taste " to avoid such an obvious personal attack on your own views of these pieces of plastic. Heaven forbid that you might be challenged and feel the need to lead the charge against the Barbie's for the sake of humanity.

You missed a subtlety (not surprising) - my comment about them sucking was also tongue in cheek...as in, "yeah they suck but so what...this thing is amazing and I play it the time". If you'd ever bothered to read any of my posts I do not subscribe to the intellectualism of said guitars.

So, whilst you go off and do battle with the Barbie Brigade I shall continue with my passion of restoring old Gibson's, sharing those stories and resources with people on this forum and playing my guitars that I treasure so much in front of audiences. Leave me out of your negativity...I want no part in it.

latestarter

Why does someone on an internet forum obsess about having 'vintage correct' inlays etc on his Reissue LP? For the same reason a dog licks his balls...

I'd rather leave the inlays alone and learn how to lick my own balls. And then tell the internet about it.

Ryan Givhan

it seems crazy how a long winded troll (imo) is beloved on this forum while noobs with innocent questions get run out of town on a regular basis here.

Big Al

Al, I shall forthwith refer to my inlays on my '99 as being "not to my taste " to avoid such an obvious personal attack on your own views of these pieces of plastic. Heaven forbid that you might be challenged and feel the need to lead the charge against the Barbie's for the sake of humanity.

You missed a subtlety (not surprising) - my comment about them sucking was also tongue in cheek...as in, "yeah they suck but so what...this thing is amazing and I play it the time". If you'd ever bothered to read any of my posts I do not subscribe to the intellectualism of said guitars.

So, whilst you go off and do battle with the Barbie Brigade I shall continue with my passion of restoring old Gibson's, sharing those stories and resources with people on this forum and playing my guitars that I treasure so much in front of audiences. Leave me out of your negativity...I want no part in it.

You are correct, Sir. It also seems you missed my rather pointedly tongue in cheek rant. But that said, the only reason to pronounce the inlays to in fact exsist in a state of SUCKAFATION, is to denounce all previous Gibsons with Crown/Trabazoid inlays, Firebird V's, SG Standards and Les Pauls to a kingdom of Suckionia!

The only reason this has become an issue is the collective mugging by Anal Retentive vintage guitar snobs.

I am glad you like yours and play the bejeepers outta it, live in front of people. Nothing beats that satisfaction.

Cody

it seems crazy how a long winded troll (imo) is beloved on this forum while noobs with innocent questions get run out of town on a regular basis here.
I'm not really aware of any actual members being "run off" recently, but if they ran, I guess they had thin skin. It's a faily friendly place, all in all. The few members I have seen get banned almost out of the gate all earned it.

This IMO unparalleled resource of all things Les Paul wasn't here on Day One. The early members didn't all just show up at a fully stocked buffet of information - it was a Pot Luck. A lot of the info/wisdom/perspective that's now taken for granted worldwide sprung from a collective of enthusiasts who threw their specialty into the ring on the LPF. The ensuing quest for knowledge, the discussions, the debunking of myths, all led to this being THE place for Les Paul facts.

In my opinion, Big Al is a proven MVP. He was one of the guys who brought a lot to the table at this time. >>Secondary<< to his vast knowledge, his "hot head" sense of humor was an appreciated feature at a time when this place was a rougher hang than it is today. It didn't start out a Starbucks, where you got a cookie just for showing up.

Darn Mocha Latte kids. Show some friggin respect.

grandpa_simpson_yelling_at_cloud.jpg

latestarter

Being anally retentive about inlays sounds painful. Especially those vintage correct ones with pointy corners...I'm glad Al, neither of us have to worry about that!

O P... they're are great LPs in every year. I wouldn't say 99 is a guaranteed bet. .. there are winners and losers in every batch. I've had a few from this era...no issues. Current one has that hollow Woody tone I like but I've upgraded a lot on it. Good luck in your search.

Last edited:

Big Al

Being analy retentive about inlays sounds painful. Especially those vintage correct ones with pointy corners...I'm glad Al, neither of us have to worry about that!

O P... they're are great LPs in every year. I wouldn't say 99 is a guaranteed bet. .. they're are winners and loosers in every batch. I've had a few from this era...no issues. Current one has that hollow Woody tone I like but I've upgraded a lot on it. Good luck in your search.

I swear to Lord Lester above Latestarter, back in May 2000 when I bought my first of what would be two, of the 40th ann. LPs, a long search that I would say I was being Anal Retentive about. A search that netted my ultimately favorite Les Paul, a guitar I was so proud to own. When showing it too my pal's buddy who was a collector, he gave it a quick look and said to me, "Too bad it has rounded corners on the inlays" and handed it back. He also rather critical of the Standard black side dots. I mean he wouldn't shut up about it, and I just loved it so much.

He had a veneer top conversion with all 50's parts. He didn't play well and I showed no mercy, even when I played his guitar, it did not sound as good as mine.

Now I absolutely do not think you are in anyway like this a hole. You and I brother are most likely more similar than not. I see it as a case of I honestly don't care and you ain't all that bothered.

I used mine in bars, clubs, showcase venues and festivals and outdoor arena gigs. Best gigging axe ever. I'd wager you love yours as much as I love mine............

even if the side dots SUCK! :ganz :rofl :hippy

CoolGuitarz

i don't know that the '99–'00 inlays necessarily "suck," per se..... but they look less like vintage 'burst inlays than ones found on some other years of reissue production-
some people (well actually a LOT of people) on this forum find visual details like that important, and there is nothing wrong with that (or them)

latestarter

even if the side dots SUCK! :ganz :rofl :hippy

Far out, don't get me started on those! I've read on teh inter nets that those black dots rob tone...and hamper ones ability to pull the hotties at a gig. They SUCKETH indeed.:rofl

Red Baron

Entertaining thread ...Big Al I swapped out my sucky dogs balls inlays for new Barbie Brigade inlays :spabout

Looks pretty nice huh... :2cool

2000_R9_09_zpsbda7574c.jpg

Big Al

I think they look just fine, Red Baron. Hell if it was that big a deal, you took care of it, and I think that is OK. But what's up with that poker chip? That thing SUCKS!

latestarter

Just realized how shit spell check is on my phone. Every time I typed "they're",I meant "there".....gggrrrrrr

EDIT: fixed some.

Last edited: