• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Need advice VOS Vs Gloss

DoctorMO

Gloss VOS is basically a finish without the final polishing and buffing plus sone pine tar type crap. I find the vos pickup covers dont look realistic. and vos is the early attemp at a vintage looking guitar. A vos is not aged so it is not realistic IMHO. I dont know why they still do the vos

djangolad

Thanks Doc, There's been plenty written on vos and most of it's not an endorsement of the gunky stuff. Some buff it off but I guess it's the other hardwear that's also problematic spec wise.
Thanks for you thougths

buckwild

I like VOS hardware, just don't dig the finish. It's easy enough to take a polish cloth and clean it up though

1jamman

I'm the same about VOS hardware . Order your guitar made with VOS hardware and a gloss finish . That's what i did on my last 1 . Although not great or truly aged looking taking the shine off the metal parts ,Imo works well .
I think it's better than buying replacement parts right after springing for that much dough for the guitar . And it doesn't cost any extra . But I'm not 1 who cares about the color of the plastics or the shape of the bends on the PuP covers for a RI . Just not my thing .

djangolad

Despite the divergence from true "original" specifications I also prefer the pup covers and tail piece on the VOS models. Not keen on the gunk though. VOS being a bit less expensive than Gloss with no tonal or playing differences will be just fine in a 13 or 14 R9 I think. I'll just buff it good...'specially the neck!
Will post pics of what I get of course:hank
Thanks for your input.. a bit each way.

Soulweb

While this topic is a dead horse that has been beaten to death many times, I want to weigh in briefly.

VOS "finish" vs. Gloss? Who cares. If you're willing to put in a little elbow grease you can buff the finish out to a gloss very easily. This has been said on the forum many times. And as an owner of a 13 VOS, I can verify this. 2 hours and some Virtuoso cleaner and polish and I had a gloss finish.

The big difference between VOS and Gloss isn't really the finish of the paint, but as mentioned above, it's the hardware.

I like the aged color plastics and the aged metal. First of all, I can't stand to see sterile white plastic on a les paul. Just personal preference. I also do not like the mirror finish on the pickup covers.

In reality, as long as you're willing to spend a couple hours buffing (by hand, don't even need a machine) then the paint is the same. All that's different is the hardware.

djangolad

Thanks Soulweb for your insight into this deceased equine. I am heartened by your experiential testimony and have nailed down my new 2013 9r:yah

duaneflowers

Here's a VOS and a Gloss... I love 'em both. The metals on the Gloss are pristine and it is rather, er, glossy. The VOS seems to have a film over the whole thing, giving it an air of age. After I play the Gloss I am compelled (I believe there is actually a law in some countries) to wipe it down. Get rid of the fingerprints (don't want any evidence lying around) wipe down the strings (get rid of any ambient DNA) and make sure she looks as pretty going back into the case as she did coming out. The VOS demands no such attention... fingerprints aren't noticeable and any residue just adds to the mojo.

Again... I love 'em both and like the fact that they add some variety to things... because as we know, variety is the spice of mice. :##

vos & gloss4.jpg

djangolad

Last time I bought a Hysteric in 2010 it was a VOS R8. I was paranoid about dinging it just in case I didn't want to keep her. Well that all changed in no time. How I'd react to a guitar I could use as a mirror is anyone's guess.
This is the R9 that I've chosen:
93.JPG

Sct13

VOS when done right adds a nice patina to the finish, the metal parts will look dulled. I like VOS because there is sense that you can be a tad rougher with it. On the other hand, Gloss although pristine, lends a certain..."better be careful with me" message.

they sound the same and some complain that the VOS can remain sticky even though wiped down. With a gloss a mild abrasive to the back or the neck can tame the gloss feel.

Personally I really like them both but do prefer the patina, just because it looks older....

duaneflowers

VOS when done right adds a nice patina to the finish, the metal parts will look dulled. I like VOS because there is sense that you can be a tad rougher with it. On the other hand, Gloss although pristine, lends a certain..."better be careful with me" message.

I think so too... I'm just much more careful with a Gloss finish. I still try to avoid the dings on the VOS for as long as possible... but guitars are made to be played and you just can't get the proper sound out of them if you handle them like china (as in ceramic, not counterfeit). :dude:

GotTheSilver

Last time I bought a Hysteric in 2010 it was a VOS R8. I was paranoid about dinging it just in case I didn't want to keep her. Well that all changed in no time. How I'd react to a guitar I could use as a mirror is anyone's guess.
This is the R9 that I've chosen:
93.JPG

A beauty! So you are buying this? When will you have her?

emg32

Gloss VOS is basically a finish without the final polishing and buffing plus sone pine tar type crap. I find the vos pickup covers dont look realistic. and vos is the early attemp at a vintage looking guitar. A vos is not aged so it is not realistic IMHO. I dont know why they still do the vos

I think they still do the VOS because more people prefer and buy the VOS models over gloss from what I've heard from many dealers. Not sure how true that is obviously.

I personally like the VOS look much more than Gloss. To me it's a Reissue of a Vintage instrument and the VOS models look more like a non reliced Vintage instrument.

IMO it's a nice look, especially when you polish off the thin layer of crap on the finish. They shine almost like a gloss but have a nice patina and with the less shiny more worn look of the hardware it just gives them a better vintage looking appearance overall.

djangolad

A beauty! So you are buying this? When will you have her?

Friday 10th is the due date. Been a long week, got held up in Memphis for 3 days due to electrical storms causing havock with their sorting technology but finally in Sydney this morning. Only 3000 miles from home(Perth) now.

djangolad

I think they still do the VOS because more people prefer and buy the VOS models over gloss from what I've heard from many dealers. Not sure how true that is obviously.

I personally like the VOS look much more than Gloss. To me it's a Reissue of a Vintage instrument and the VOS models look more like a non reliced Vintage instrument.

IMO it's a nice look, especially when you polish off the thin layer of crap on the finish. They shine almost like a gloss but have a nice patina and with the less shiny more worn look of the hardware it just gives them a better vintage looking appearance overall.

I agree, will go find some Virtuoso:salude

J T

You know I found that I'm a lot more comfortable handling my VOS LP because I didn't have to worry about fingerprints. They just don't show. Not mirror finish? So what.

Now on the other hand, I love my mirror finish LP's too.

djangolad

Well we've been getting to know each other for almost a day now. This one is ALIVE compared to my last Historic, a 2010 R8 (which did improve with the "mapleflame" mod).
I think the changes they've made, whether the truss rod, glue or more likely, the pick-ups has made an enormous difference. This one has a real vibration going through the wood which wasn't so evident in the R8. It's better than I expected.
:jim:jim:jim

renderit

Well we've been getting to know each other for almost a day now. This one is ALIVE compared to my last Historic, a 2010 R8 (which did improve with the "mapleflame" mod).
I think the changes they've made, whether the truss rod, glue or more likely, the pick-ups has made an enormous difference. This one has a real vibration going through the wood which wasn't so evident in the R8. It's better than I expected.
:jim:jim:jim

I know my '13 59RI is very lively. You can really feel the vibrations in the body and neck and the sound is out of this world good. That's actually why I started buying Collings as well. Every one of theirs feels that way. But the Gibson RI's are getting totally awesome. My 13 is a gloss. I preferred that as the VOS just always seemed to not be finished correctly. But I don't care for artificially aged guitars either so it's just a preference thing. If I found a VOS which spoke to me I'd buy it.