• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Just a thought

Mats A

The 2012 Historics are cheaper in prise just because they've got the laminated fingerboard. Since the guitar isn't inferior or not as good in any way but they are not vintage correct made. Makes me wonder what is really the most important thing with a guitar. That it feels and sounds good or if it's vintage correct made and looks good and vintage? Some people don't play and just buy to have and look at. Then i can understand it. Many real vintage Les Pauls are repaired due to something beeing broken like a neck. Even Greenie is fixed since it was in a car crash wich means extra glue. So in a sense it's not vintage correct anymore. Just a thought.

Tom Wittrock

Les Paul Forum Co-Owner
The 2012 Historics are cheaper in prise just because they've got the laminated fingerboard.

Really? I had not heard this. Can you provide some evidence of this? :hmm

Even Greenie is fixed since it was in a car crash wich means extra glue. So in a sense it's not vintage correct anymore. Just a thought.

Not vintage correct because of glue used in repair? :bigal

Are you serious? :wah

If you are, then what about changed strings? :ganz

Todd Louis

I have not seen 12's going for less then previous or later years.

Tom
As far as greeny is concerned I think he means that the repair it went through has not changed its tone. And consequentially a guitar dos not need to be spot on to be a good instrument. Hence the lam.. boards adding glue

Mats A

Here in Sweden the 2012´s is selling cheaper. Many avoid the 2012´s just because of this or ask if it´s a 2012.
Of course Greenie is vintage correct! I just thought of the extra glue that also is on the laminated fingerboards. The Three piece neck in the 70´s also has some extra glue but some are real great sounding.

Uncle Gary

Just based on what I've read here I would expect that my '12 R0 is virtually worthless, and couldn't be given away.

Tom Wittrock

Les Paul Forum Co-Owner
Here in Sweden the 2012´s is selling cheaper. Many avoid the 2012´s just because of this or ask if it´s a 2012.

That's interesting. I haven't heard that before, but I can believe it.
Hopefully, someone will buy them at a reduced price and score a killer guitar.
Like, a Sandy copy. :ganz

rockabilly69

I'm sure many people are steering away from the 2012s because of the laminated fretboard, but the best, most vintage sounding guitar that I have bought in a long while has been my 2012 VOS ES330 reissue. I haven't changed a thing on it (other than cleaning off the VOS gunk), and it sounds GREAT! And my '60 reissue Historic LP pictured in my avatar has a crack on the back that runs from the lower horn, to the control cavity. The guys at RS Guitarworks glued the crack together a few years back and even with all that extra glue in the crack that guitar is one of the best Les Pauls I've heard/played.

Pip

Just based on what I've read here I would expect that my '12 R0 is virtually worthless, and couldn't be given away.

Yup I went down my high street yesterday " anybody want this Sandy - it's useless with a two piece board" no takers, I just couldn't give it away :hank

sharky

fact is that the 2012 models sell around 1 k cheaper than 2013/14 due to the Bikini Board. That doesn't mean they play or sound worse. People don't like it for whatever reason, thus reflected in the used pricing. Some stores have new 2012 models sitting here, reducing the price every month or so, still don't sell. But sales are slow on all other years built anyways

Ryan Givhan

if i were looking to buy a used historic i wouldnt pay an equal amount for a '12 as another year, unless i absolutely fell in love with the guitar.

you dont have to agree with me, but i think there are a lot of other people just like me too, i just cant wrap my head around the 2 piece board thing. idk

tdarian

I think the 2012s will have a "stigma" related to the 2 piece boards. Here we are talking about it, and we are the market.

Todd68

That's interesting. I haven't heard that before, but I can believe it.
Hopefully, someone will buy them at a reduced price and score a killer guitar.
Like, a Sandy copy. :ganz

Funny that Sandy is brought up. I saw a two used ones sell recently and they were anything but reduced. They were killer looking and they got top dollar. Anyone who bought one in 2012 probably knew that they likely had two piece boards (still not sure, just an assumption), but didn't care. I know that I didn't care. The Sandy that came my way was stellar.

On the overall, I wondered if the two piece board debate would hurt resale, but I am not seeing this in Canada and the States. I usually watch Dave's used stuff pretty closely too. I could be wrong. I don't watch private sales a whole lot.

To answer the original post, I think feel and tone influence the buyer the most. It will at least determine if the buyer chooses to keep it. The 2012s "look" a little more vintage to me because of the inlays (compared to earlier years). You can't see the tube, laminate board and all. The vibe is still there.

davidd

if i were looking to buy a used historic i wouldnt pay an equal amount for a '12 as another year, unless i absolutely fell in love with the guitar.

you dont have to agree with me, but i think there are a lot of other people just like me too, i just cant wrap my head around the 2 piece board thing. idk

+1....

If I can have a full thickness board on a $100 Squier I'm not going to settle for a one year anomaly that the 2012's were. Now if it was a killer deal that would be different.

Herb Utsmelz

In the past month, I've watched two '12 R7s sell that were like-new. One was $2150 and the other was $1850. I think the fretboard had something to do with that. OTOH, I snagged a "gigged" '05 R7 with Sheptone Tributes for $1900 in that time too so take my opinion for what it's worth haha.

Tom Wittrock

Les Paul Forum Co-Owner

Does this mean you would buy one [a different year] if you didn't absolutely fall in love with it? :hmm

davidd

Does this mean you would buy one [a different year] if you didn't absolutely fall in love with it? :hmm

I think the jist is that all things being equal, a 2012 2 piece FB is a negative. Can't imagine why it wouldn't be. The amount of time obsessing over stupid plastic around here should be proof enough.

emg32

The 2012's definitely have a lower resale than other years.

IMO that's a positive for someone looking for a really killer great sounding reissue for a cheaper price.

I'm personally not in the market for a new Les Paul at the moment but if I was I would probably look at the 2012's. The few I have played have sounded, played and looked really great. The lower used pricetag is just a bonus IMO.

Mats A

I think my 2012 Factory Darkburst sounds great. It´s been my main giging guitar since i bought it. But if i could have a choice i propably would like it to have a one piece board. But then if it didn´t sound the same i really don´t know. I never had a problem with my old 79 Standard having a three piece maple neck.