• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Advise for '68 Standard LP Needed

88 Fingers

Hi Guys,
I've been a member since about 2004. It is about time to do something with a 1968 Les Paul Standard that I have had under my bed for about 25 years.
Do I have it refinished as a Goldtop? Do I re-top with curly maple? Do I restore back to P90 configuration?
Thanks for the opinions and advise.

XzbRH3X.jpg

bEaJcdv.jpg

Last edited:

toxpert

I have one like yours with a stripped top and humbuckered. A forum bro helped me with sourcing period correct P-90s which I put into mine...and I am just playing it like it is. A road warrior !

I would not re-top this guitar...ever. Just play it as is...it looks really nice. Beautiful grain on that 2 piece top.

Note: if you fix the pickup routes back to P-90s and then gold top it, it will look closer to period specs but the the seam around the plugs will most likely come through the finish.

Ryan Givhan

i wouldnt change a damn thing. if i had to do something to it, maybe top only refin, either gold (my preference) or a burst if thats what you like.

moonweasel

I am usually all for restoring LSLP's, but yours has a particularly interesting top on it. I would seriously consider a burst of some sort, maybe a faded burst so the flame by the knobs doesn't get hidden... DEFINITELY not a retop.

Any original finish on the back?

PS - Holy cow, I wish that was my guitar. :)

Wilko

All Access/Backstage Pass
I would just shoot a light burst right on top of what you have. Very light.

I've done before, and I'd do it again.

And a warning. DO NOT try to sand the top. 99% of people screw this up by rounding over the edges. Very noticeable if you go back to gold.

MWR

Wow....sell it to me. :salude :salude :salude

moonweasel

I would just shoot a light burst right on top of what you have. Very light.

I've done before, and I'd do it again.

And a warning. DO NOT try to sand the top. 99% of people screw this up by rounding over the edges. Very noticeable if you go back to gold.

A light burst might look good with the back finish if it is still there too.

Personally, I prefer dark bursts, but you're right, this sucker is begging for something lighter.

Wilko

with the natural back of the goldtops, a very light burst that just hints at it would match fine as a faded guitar.

The body wood is good as it gets.

63sg

I'd go with the light burst idea, but it would also work great as a gold top.

moonweasel

wilko,

right on.

63sg,

Normally, I would be with you, leave the original back finish (if there) and go back to gold / keep buckers. But this particular one has an interesting top (pretty unusual), so I'm flip flopping and voting burst with original back finish (if there) this time. :)

Progrocker111

Why a re-top? :bigal

Its great guitar, dont change or destroy it by such experiments. Just spray at her some nice burst finish and if you want P90s on her, there is still the possibility to remake the routes. All other structural changes would be an heresy. :)

QuirkyBurst

:dude: Verrrry nice top!
I would say what's done is done - lay a nice burst on that puppy and play it like ya stole it!

88 Fingers

I had an offer of $1800. LOL

@Wilko Man that is gorgeous! Who did the respray?

Thanks for the help guys.

Wilko

Hang on to it unless you NEED money.

I sprayed mine and have done quite a few. For yours all that it "needs" is a a very light top-only overspray. No sanding. no stripping. Don't even touch the back. Just a little tint and then some clear, or tinted clearcoat so you can do a light buffing.

It just looks a little boring with no color and no tint from age. Even if you wanted it "blonde" it should have some amber tint to it.

moonweasel

You can do a LOT better than 1800, geez. :)

I would never sell something like that; you just do NOT find them like that any more. Good luck with whatever path you take with the guitar, very cool instrument.

One day.... I have one too!

moonweasel

Hey Wilko,

Did you ever seen this one on my site?

Pic was sent to me out of Europe. SUPER SUPER SUPER early guitar, 985xxx prefix. Note the "high" strap button too.

985xxxflame.jpg