• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

When did the stop Fretless wonder frets?

Uncle Gary

Gibson was using a very wide, low fretwire in the late '70's/early '80's, which some confuse with "fretless wonder" frets, but aren't. My '81 LP Standard '80 had those frets. They were about .103 wide by about .035 high as I remember-very wide and low by modern standards.

DANELECTRO

Danelectro, dont you have more photos of the Brazilian Custom? :) Isnt it 74? I thought they made a small one off run of them in 74.

I mislabeled that in my post above. The photos I have identify the guitar as a 1973. Its not my guit, and I saved the photos over 8 years ago so I don't recall where I found them. Nevertheless, here are some additional off-topic photos...

Here's another one that is labeled as a 1976:

Progrocker111

Its a 75 one, the serial number beginning with 5xxxxx, Schaller tuners appeared in 75 first-time etc. Very rare and beautiful guitar though :dude:

Stevedenver

whats going on with the first rosewood example with the schallers???? that braz has a braz neck??????and back-
that doesn't look original-or at least as part of the run-

1973-must be a prototype??? -no serial number on the back of the headstock

the only ones ive seen had toffee colored mahogany backs and necks

these BRW customs were done in 74 as part of the 1954 anniv, some with and some without the fret board anniv inlay-mine does not have the anniv inlay

I am the source for the mis-info that the run was in 1976-including that for rick norman, as he and I discussed these guitars when he had his-I came to the conclusion based on mis-reading my not-so-clear pot codes-

Regarding the first one pictured, it appears to my eye that the volute also looks like it should be late late seventies early eighties, not 1973, as its rather pronounced, like those from the late 70's early 80's -which again, doesn't correspond with the original run(s)-mine is a mere 'bimp' very small volute, barely there at all.

While I never say never with Gibson, I have never ever heard of one with a rosewood neck,or for that matter, any Gibson having a rosewood neck, not even the Crest. If that one is original, that may be the heaviest les paul in existence-!!

Anyone know about that all BRZ version? It has the three piece top and the right knobs and bridge.

Last edited: