• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Correct knobs for a 76 LPC?

samdjr74

Hi All,

I just picked up a 1976 Les Paul Custom in tobacco burst. The guitar has some parts changed over the years but no additional holes drilled so that's good. However one thing that seems to be changed are the knobs. I'm wondering what should be the factory original knobs for a 76? I was thinking they should be reflectors with pointers underneath but I saw a few different pictures online with speed knobs.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Sam

Progrocker111

Thanks, I noticed that there are 2 different color inserts, a gold and silver, I assume gold is correct? Also is there only one type of reflector knob?

Silver was the standard on 76 Customs. Gold were on earlier LP Deluxes for example.

Kris Ford

When did the 70s speed knobs start?
Funny that the late '72 SG Standards had them first...and for the rest of the '70's..then for whatever reason, they go back to reflectors for the LPC in '76, replacing the witch hats, but not on the SGs, which you would expect to see them and where they were from 1960-'67, then on to speed knobs..:hmm

Which brings me to my own moral dilemma..and on topic..ish LOL.(sorry for minor derail OP..:salude )
I have a '76 SG Standard with speed knobs, but love the witchhats, and have 2 very nice sets..I really, really want to put the witchhats on, but the purist in me says it was stock with the speed knobs, so they MUST stay and CAN NOT be changed..
What would you guys do?

CutieJones

Well . . . . I'd put the witch hats on to satisfy myself and live with it, but keep a set of speed knobs in the case for when 100 % originality is called for.
Witch hats rule !

Bob Womack

The speed knobs are functionally better than witch hats so I'd leave the speeds on but keep the witch hats in the neck box of the case so you can show them to the next guy who does an appraisal. I did a lot of volume swell fades back in the day and wore out the neck pickup volume control. I replaced it but kept the original in the case. The appraiser noted that and it had a positive effect on my appraisal.

Bob

FretsAlot

Can't vouch for the orginality, but my '76 LPC is sportin' witches... 1st owner may have changed them out. I've had it since '84.

TVCustomr25.jpg

Monroe

I can vouch for the originality of the reflectors on my 76, which I purchased new.

nakedcoils.jpg

Progrocker111

Prog, my good man, I've seen many, many '76 Customs that have the gold reflectors that are sworn and verified stock...:hmm
Thoughts?

There were some, but really the majority had silver. :) In Norlin era there are always some exceptions, so there is hard to make many 100% valid conclusions.

samdjr74

I ended up getting a set of silver reflectors and they look fine. Once I have the new tailpiece on it I'll post some pictures.

Until then here is a before shot

76LPC_zps08de4087.jpg

dodger916

I have the same exact guitar (TP-6 too), though 1977. It has gold reflectors, but I bought it in August 2014. I've seen that pic before...eBay?

Kris Ford

Well . . . . I'd put the witch hats on to satisfy myself and live with it, but keep a set of speed knobs in the case for when 100 % originality is called for.
Witch hats rule !
I tried 'em on, but put the speed knobs back..my AVH kicked in..
Didn't look "right"..if that make sense..

samdjr74

Yep, ebay score. I couldn't go wrong for the price. I just posted a couple new pics with stock HW back on in a NGD thread. Very cool guitar.

I have the same exact guitar (TP-6 too), though 1977. It has gold reflectors, but I bought it in August 2014. I've seen that pic before...eBay?

wcandres

I purchased my 1976 Custom (Tobacco) "factory fresh" in August of 1976. It has Witch Hats, without pointers.

Bill

Hi All,

I just picked up a 1976 Les Paul Custom in tobacco burst. The guitar has some parts changed over the years but no additional holes drilled so that's good. However one thing that seems to be changed are the knobs. I'm wondering what should be the factory original knobs for a 76? I was thinking they should be reflectors with pointers underneath but I saw a few different pictures online with speed knobs.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Sam