• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

2011 Les Paul Tradtional

Zeo828

HI

I recently found a nice deal on ebay for a 2011 Les Paul Tradtional.

I've always been a fan of 60's necks until I owned a G0 with a nice fuller neck.... then later I played a few early 90's Les Pauls with fuller necks but NOT baseball bats. I even had a 94 standard that said it was a 59 profile neck and I found it to be a medium size neck... not too fat at all. I've determined that my favorite Gibson Neck is a medium size neck, with 60's neck coming in 2nd. And as stated I hate basbeall bat necks.

Now I see this tradtional on ebay at a price I like. I understand that these were suppose to be built like a regular standard les paul. They are suppose to have 50's style necks... but are they baseball bat necks? Or medium size?

I did try a recent tradtional at guitar center and the neck was baseball bat fat in my opinion. Almost unplayable for me.
The seller of this particular guitar says that he feels the neck is medium size, not too skinny or fat.

What have been your expereinces with tradtional Les Pauls neck sizes?

Thanks

Texas Blues

The only way to be sure is actually play the 'thang. I have a '78 Pro that is super skinny and loved it looooong time. Then a few years ago I got an R4 with what I would call a small tree trunk for a neck. I'm a little guy with small hands. The R4 sounded so damn good after playing it for only a few minutes I reckoned that I'd adapt. I did. Nowadays when I pick up a guitar I don't even think about the neck, I just do my 'thang.

Having said that though, everyone has their own hands and ergonomics of playing so what I related certainly won't work for every one. And what some folks think about neck size can be all over the place. Some would feel that a medium size neck is too big and others a baseball bat neck just right.

In general I reckon 50's necks are likely thicker than 60's but I don't think anyone can make the case of that being always true.

Maybe you can ask the ebay seller to measure the neck and give you specs for comparison.