• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Les Paul Artisan

Rick Doeschler

Does anyone know if the early (1978) Les Paul Artisan's came stock with the Gibson TP-6 fine Tuner?

Thanks for your help.

Rick Doeschler

Thanks Texas Blues. I've corresponded with Mike before on my Artisan but failed to ask him that question. I bought mine a while back and it had a regular bar (like a Les Paul) but I don't think it was stock. I've seen many pictures of Artisan's with both the TP-6 and a regular bar (like a Les Paul). Many may have replaced their TP-6 fine tuner along the way, I'm not sure.

Jim Scully

Mine has a regular bar which I think was stock. I purchased the Artisan five years ago on ebay.
I love my Artisan, its incredibly heavy but plays great.

RevPearly

I still have one that I bought new in 1977. It came with a Nashville bridge. Killer pickups, wonderful neck and fret work, but weighs as much as a refrigerator. 37 years later I'm still in love.

lonesomesheik

I bought mine brand new 'round 76/77(chestnut finish, 3 pus), it had the regular tail piece, & most probably a Nashville bridge. I sold it long time ago.

Xpensive Wino

No sign of a TP-6 on Dave Davie's...

StreamImage.aspx

Progrocker111

Some can have TP6 especially in 78 and 79, but most still had regular tailpiece.

frenchphil

hi sheik! sold it to francis cabrel? lol i saw him play a wonderfull artisan years ago, on sarbacane

so i'm just wondering

lonesomesheik

@Frenchphil, no, I sold it to a local guy in Brittany,dunnow where it is now, I don't look back, don't have no regrets at all, no time for those!!!;-)))

lonesomesheik

It should be easy to spot : there's a cigarette burn just in front of E bass peg ( mid 70's relics:rofl)

frenchphil

thanks for the reply sheik! i was not talking about regrets, just about the guitar cause i saw one and i wonder how much did you pay for it in the 70's

and where did you buy it in france, because nowadays they seem pretty rare, what was it like back in the days ? (i was 8 years old in 77!! lol)

lonesomesheik

I paid around 6000Frs for it; that was 1500 under the regular price, I reckon ; it was a shop 'round Montparnasse as far as I can remember the japanese case was round 200Frs, might have been 78'. Yes , it was a new one. I fancied the art deco inlays in those days...I never cared too much of 3rd pu!:laugh2:

frenchphil

great!! i paid 6000 frs for my les paul studio in 1996, brand new case included

i love the look of the artisan, what did it sound like? a custom i guess?

was it all mahogany? or did it have a maple top

i think i remember that shop near montparnasse, must have been hamm music in rue de rennes, went there a couple of times in my 13 years in paris, big shop

lonesomesheik

It was a 3 piece top( Norlin was cutting corners, les radins!!) the web tells me it had a maple top , walnut finish (maybe to hide a second grade maple ?). I was just discovering electricity & amps, so I know a bit more now, for my type of music from T. Bone to Muddy , to Freddie & even Charlie Christian, it was not the most useful instrument, a bit more for 70's rock??? rock with art deco(Hard deco) flowers all around it? Maybe they had a hippie in the design department???:hmm:hmm:hmm