• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

What Exactly Does "Benchmark" Designate?

KOTR

What is supposed to be the difference between a "regular" reissue and the "Benchmark" reissues?

Last edited:

Big Al

Marketing brand hyperbole for particular Retailers.

J T

But the are some very nice guitars nonetheless! I would love to have one.

Benchmark

J T

7.5 lbs! It's as light as a tele! Cool

tdarian

I think I'll just settle for one without the mark.

sinner

From the Wildwood site:

What is a Gibson Custom Benchmark dealer, you ask? There is now a very small and exclusive group of authorized Gibson Custom dealers that happen to be experts in the field of Gibson Custom and vintage guitars. Collectively, we represent over 150 years of combined experience in the vintage and rare Gibson guitar market. We collaborate with the Gibson Custom crafts people to produce distinct and rare limited edition guitars like you see here. Wildwood Guitars is one of these rare dealers. Gibson Custom recognizes the Benchmark dealers as a unique and valuable resource by inviting us into the design process, where Gibson relies on our hands-on experience to help them create exceptional guitars based on our many years of holding and playing some of the most rare and desirable Gibsons in their long history as a company.

As a Benchmark dealer, we have direct access to the Gibson Custom factory and builders, and we hand select materials and instruments to insure the highest standards of quality. As a result, we offer a complete Gibson fan experience through a wide selection of Gibson Custom product, unsurpassed expertise and service that extends above and beyond the ordinary. These instruments are part of very limited runs that are not available outside the Benchmark circle. Come and feast!

So, there you have it--hyperbole or whatever, they are mighty fine looking, and I can say mighty fine playing and sounding guitars! (I own one, and it's my favorite of all other Historics I've owned or played.)

KOTR

Scored this one from the Music Zoo:

Benchmark CR8

I'll start a seperate NGD post so not to derail this thread.

sinner

Hey, congrats, KOTR! Nice looking guitar--and now you have your very own benchmark to measure all others against! (That's how I feel about mine!)

guitarmandp

Benchmark is a series of limited runs designed by the 4 internet dealers. The 4 internet dealers will do Skype video conferences and come up with ideas and present them to gibson.

Aloha_Mark