• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Question concerning a LP Deluxe from the 70's.

les strat

As a teen, I acquired a 70's wine red LP Deluxe with cream soapbar P90's. A guy I knew needed cash quick, so I begged my parents to borrow the $200 he wanted (he had paid $800 for it at a local pawn shop). As with many other guitars, it got traded away for something "better". There is only one pic a friend has somewhere of that guitar, but I do not have access to it. It had "Deluxe" on the TR cover and was a boat anchor. Wide headstock, etc. Other specs escape me.

So tell me, I know most every Deluxe I have seen had minis, but did they make a run of them with factory soapbar P90's? This has always puzzled me because at the time (late 80's), I was not a true LP geek yet, and did not know, and still do not know what I had.

Tom Wittrock

Les Paul Forum Co-Owner
I don't know your answer, but it was easy enough to change the truss cover.

les strat

If it is a LP Pro Deluxe, which is my best guess, then yeah, maybe someone changed the "Pro" TR cover to "Deluxe", but I of course Norlin had it's inconsistencies from the factory as with any other era.

Like most youth, I was not enamored with the silly singles coils on a LP. Funny now how I prefer the P90 to any humbucker old or new.

Trying to fetch that pic.

les strat

If it's a pro it should have an ebony fretboard.

Being that it was 26 years ago, it's hard to remember. From all of my research online the last 24 hours, I'm betting it was a Pro.

But you know, Ibanez and BC Rich's were much better guitars at the time, so I did some trading :##

Big Al

Deluxe with swapped out pickups, a common thing. No Pro's in wine red.

les strat

Not Wine Red. Lots of changes on that. I'd bet $$$ it's an old refin. Serial number looks to have been ink filled or ink stamped when refinished. Plastic on back was brown when new. Black plastic was a user added mod. Tuners, Bigsby, yup I'd say it most likely was a refin.

Yep. That was the only pic I found of a supposed Pro in red.

Anyhow, I would love to have that guitar again now that I have the P90 sickness.

Big Al

Yep. That was the only pic I found of a supposed Pro in red.

Anyhow, I would love to have that guitar again now that I have the P90 sickness.

I have an early 70's Goldtop Deluxe with p90's. I always put them in Goldtop Deluxe's. I used a wine red Deluxe w/min's in my Reno days and loved that guitar.

Wine Red is a superby beautiful and rich color. Looks great w/cream plastic and gold knobs.