• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Version 3.0 of Late Sixties Les Pauls.com is now online.

moonweasel

I was going to work on updating more content before I went public with the new code, but what the heck. May be a little buggy here and there, may have some down time here and there as I work on it, but its more fun just to upload and see what happens. :)

Please send me email's if you have issues (contact info is on website), let me know which browser you are using and what device you are on. (I suspect most issues will be on iPads as that is the thing I have spent the least time on yet)

Keep an eye out for new content in the upcoming weeks.

TO ANY NEW USERS: Please submit your stories through the "Featured Guitars" section. Lots of cool stuff in there, might as well share your guitar.

Been months in the making! Fun to have it "out there" :dude:

----

Here is the link:

1968 Les Paul and 1969 Les Paul Serial Number Information

toxpert

moonweasel..do you have any pics of pickup cavity and pickups ?

That would be a great complimentary topic to your fabulous site...

best regards and NICE JOB !!!

EvLectric

Someone needs to find out before the employees are all gone what the purpose of that extra maple layer inbetween the top and sandwich mahogany back! I have yet to even come up with a decent theory.

moonweasel

moonweasel..do you have any pics of pickup cavity and pickups ?

That would be a great complimentary topic to your fabulous site...

best regards and NICE JOB !!!

Thanks Tox!

I definitely need some better pics of the P-90s. Maybe one of a clear bobbin and one of a black. I just don't know them well enough to be SURE they are legit, late 60's examples.

Actually, for humbuckers, I have a spare non-T bucker in my bridge position as my original one has had an open coil since I found it back in the day. So, being somewhat lazy, I could just take pics of my original one which is packed up safe in my case. Great idea, man!

Concerning the cavities, I do have pics, but a Featured Article might be a good idea. Might be time to update the pics too.

Here is a link to the cavity stuff, its in a white box just a little down from the top. http://www.latesixtieslespauls.com/common.asp

Someone needs to find out before the employees are all gone what the purpose of that extra maple layer inbetween the top and sandwich mahogany back! I have yet to even come up with a decent theory.

I have no freakin' idea man. Just plain weird. I mean, if it was just on a few of them, we could write it off as a production goof. But it is probably 80% of the 69 guitars. Just weird.

Great site!! :dude:

Thanks Pat! I appreciate it.

EvLectric

The best I can think of is that whole thin sheet absorbed glue better and made for a more stable surface rather than gluing a two-three piece top and a multi-piece pancake back. That sounds ok in theory, but in reality I don't really see a problem gluing them together without it. Maybe someone with more woodworking experience can chime in.

Progrocker111

I have no freakin' idea man. Just plain weird. I mean, if it was just on a few of them, we could write it off as a production goof. But it is probably 80% of the 69 guitars. Just weird.

It lasted until early 80s, most Norlins i ever saw had it.

Its really weird and a mystery. But it contradicts the theory, that this whole pancake body was introduced cause of lower production costs. Why would they put another extra layer under maple cap, if they wanted to save production costs? :bigal

It would be great to have an explanation from some former employee, what was the real reason to these construction changes.

reswot

I thought their goal was cross-laminating the wood for stability. Both thin layers had their grain oriented at 90 degrees to the thicker layers on either side.

EvLectric

I thought their goal was cross-laminating the wood for stability. Both thin layers had their grain oriented at 90 degrees to the thicker layers on either side.

(In my best Johnny Carson voice) Hmmm. I did not know that. :hmm :laugh2:
Well there's got to be something to that if they all are like that. Could even be a mix of that and my theory.
Man, someone at Heritage should know, wouldn't you think? For that matter aren't there pancaked Nashville built ones? Are they like that too?
Sorry for the slight thread derailment. :)

reswot

One note about a typo on the site. You left the second "e" out of the word "reestablished" in your title.

moonweasel

THank you every one for the kind words and the tips for helping the site. I will make note of that pot site, and will read through ASAP.