• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

My 1st Long Lost Les Paul

soulbrojcs

Les Paul Froum Member
I have been wondering about my first Les Paul, a 1977 N.A.M.M. show Standard model in black (see pix). Seems like this might be a good place to search. ;-)

When I was 15, in 1976, I had Jeff Beck’s Wired album with the picture of him with his Modded gold top/oxblood Les Paul, and not knowing much about guitars yet, thought it was a black Standard model. I wrote to Gibson asking them if they would make such a model (and asking for line drawings & patent diagrams of several other models, which they graciously sent), and they informed me that they did not make the Standard model in black.

A few moths later, I happened to be in Ray Shipp’s Music Warehouse, and he showed me a couple of guitars he had just brought back from the N.A.M.M. show. a Les Paul Custom with a maple top and chrome plated hardware. He then opened a second case and there was a black Standard model. My Mother co-signed a loan for me to buy it (with the promise that I would stay with the country band I was playing with at the time). I later, stupidly sold it and have wondered about it’s whereabouts ever since.

This would have been sold in Louisville Kentucky, around 1977 or so, and I remember the guy who bought it from me left a Martin acoustic to take it to try it out (or have it checked out) before buying it.

Any information on this guitar would be greatly appreciated. :)
withmarkspringstube21977.jpg