• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Price check on '90s LP Specials

Mr. Papa

I've been trying to sell my black '98 LP Special for weeks here locally, but haven't been able to get a reasonable offer. I <love> this guitar, my technician friend says it's a great one, and I can't imagine why people are offering me $300-400 for it when I willingly paid nearly twice that recently.

I'm selling it because I have a stack of medical bills to pay, so I need to get what is fair for it. Any opinions as to what that number should be? Did the soapbar LP market nose dive in the last three months?

sickboy79

Wish I could find a double cut black one in that price range! I'd be all over it!

Mr. Papa

It feels like a medium neck to me, not thin, not thick, maybe '60s profile?

DanD

They are what Gibson calls '60s profile but mine is more a medium size also. Mine is two tone burst. I paid $500 w/Gibson/Levy gig bag.

The $400-$500 range is probably right in the ball park depending on condition. But seriously, they are a lot more guitar than the price would suggest, IMO.

Had it been the earlier 90s bound neck version the price would be double. I think that's where a lot of the pricing confusion comes from on the 90s Specials. :2zone

Mr. Papa

Sold it today, and it really is a great, great guitar! If I wasn't swimming in debt and other great guitars, I would keep it. Highly recommended if you need to rock out on a budget.

Wally

The market it is a changin'. There are more guitars on the market..used and new....today than ever before. And...like it or not...you can buy more guitar for less money than ever before due to the inexpensive Asian imports. Take a trip to the local pwan shop. Ime, there has never been so many used guitars around. That affects the price of everything...until you get into the 'other than regular production' guitars from U.S. makers....that is...Custom Shop offerings.
The less expensive USA-made guitars are made in larger numbers than the expensive models....so the used market for those is generally lower than what most of us would think an American made Gibson or Fender is worth. The models for financing new guitars affects what the used ones are worth, too, I would think. So, from my point of view....it is a good time to buy used American made guitars that are not top of the line as long as one keeps in mind that the market price is lower than one might think it should be.
There was a time not long ago when I thought the lowest of the low Gibsons should be worth $350 or more....and that $350 from those days is worth $7-800 today......and I am talking about those composite bodied things...not a real wood guitar.
The times be changed....

DanD

The market it is a changin'. There are more guitars on the market..used and new....today than ever before. And...like it or not...you can buy more guitar for less money than ever before due to the inexpensive Asian imports. Take a trip to the local pwan shop. Ime, there has never been so many used guitars around. That affects the price of everything...
So, from my point of view....it is a good time to buy used American made guitars that are not top of the line as long as one keeps in mind that the market price is lower than one might think it should be.

+1 Part of it is the Chinese invasion and part a glut of used guitars on the market now that the latest round of guitar mania has subsided.

I'd also add that US manufacturers are aware of the quality of some of the Chinese lines, the Squier CVs come to mind here, and are holding prices down and offering new lower end US guitars.

What's the new MM that's really more of a dressed down LP run? Maybe $500?

I'd say it's a good time to buy but at the same time I'm not buying with expectations of cashing in down the road. I've purchased a few Hamers lately at fire sale prices.

Hell, the player grade Hamer Eclipse I just bought has more resale value in the parts than what I paid for it. And it's a sweet guitar. :peace2

It's beginning to remind me of my old pawn shop days finding $300 '73 Tele Deluxes, $250 Gibson L6Ss and $200 '67 Coronado IIs. But at that time I had to put them on lay-away for months to pay them off... :jim

tonyj

The 1990s is when Gibson was extolling the virtues of the new hum free P100s, a stacked P90 which was nothing like the real P90 other than in 'looks'. The P100 was something of a total let-down to many of us who preferred the P90.

Too many Specials remain from the nineties that still have those unpopular P100s. Easy to change, but why bother? Lots of other genuine P90 Specials still available.

Just a thought .......