• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Gibson P60

Zhangliqun

Gibson used to make a pickup called the P60 didn't they? Looked like a P90 but I don't know what the difference was -- anybody know?

Zhangliqun

(crickets still chirping 3 days later...)

Wow, what a wealth of info there is in here on this pickup.

Zhangliqun

I remember it as a dog-eared variety that may have appeared on some early Juniors or something other 1-pickup model or something like that.

Minneapolis Slim

MF used to advertise the Jrs with a P60 pickup, but I think that was a misprint. I've never heard of a P60.

:mslim

Olsen

Hello,P60 ,I have never heard of,but there is a P100,stacked Humbucker version of P90.Sounds good in front but in bridge,aarrrghhh.
There is also a P94,which is a P90 in a Humbucker cover.
Hope it might help.
C.

Zhangliqun

I'm aware of the P100 and it sounds good only when it hits the bottom of a dumpster. However, I do want to do an experiment on one so if anyone has one laying around that they want to get rid of cheap, let me know...

LPJr.DCGuy

Gibson used to make a pickup called the P60 didn't they? Looked like a P90 but I don't know what the difference was -- anybody know?

Yes they did. I don't know if they were offered in the old days, but they were featured on some LP Jr. reissues from the early 2000's and were described as having a nice "yackety" sound (I always remembered that word). I suppose they were going for a more Tele-like tone, but the guitars were built poorly and played terribly, and so they quickly went out along with that pickup. I don't know if they were just under-wound or had other differences from the P-90, but I guess you could contact Gibson for the specs. I'd be interested to know myself.

Last edited:

Big Al

Yes they did. I don't know if they were offered in the old days, but they were featured on some LP Jr. reissues from the early 2000's and were described as lower output with a more "yackety" sound (I always remembered that word). I suppose they were going for a more Tele-like tone, but the guitars were built poorly and played terribly, and so they quickly went along with that pickup. I don't know if they were just under-wound or had other differences from the P-90 but I suppose you could contact Gibson for the specs. I'd be interested to know myself.

I have never seen a P60 reissue pickup on any guitar and not on any Jr Reissue. Where do you get this info? Do you mean the slug magnet p90 like the old ES125? Wasn't the P60 an early single coil pickup in a narrow metal housing used on some early (40's) arch tops?

LPJr.DCGuy

I have never seen a P60 reissue pickup on any guitar and not on any Jr Reissue. Where do you get this info? Do you mean the slug magnet p90 like the old ES125? Wasn't the P60 an early single coil pickup in a narrow metal housing used on some early (40's) arch tops?

I don't know much about the vintage era, but I was really into Esquire's and LP Jr. DC's around 2000 and I first read about the P60 in a product description, I don't remember where, maybe MF, and they had a few on the wall at Micheal's Music in Freeport, LI. This may have been Gibson's first attempt at Jr. reissues after the Epiphone bolt-on copies, one of which I had, a sunburst DC. So I plugged in the new Gibson version and it played terribly for bending so I stuck to the cheap Epi. I probably didn't go into a great amp, just what was in front of me, but I vaguely remember them as more treble and upper-mid focused, and they looked just like a black soap bar P90. They came and went mighty quick.

LtKojak

My take would be that the elusive P-60 is a p-90 with ceramic mags.

Did I win anything...? ;)

Big Al

I don't know much about the vintage era, but I was really into Esquire's and LP Jr. DC's around 2000 and I first read about the P60 in a product description, I don't remember where, maybe MF, and they had a few on the wall at Micheal's Music in Freeport, LI. This may have been Gibson's first attempt at Jr. reissues after the Epiphone bolt-on copies, one of which I had, a sunburst DC. So I plugged in the new Gibson version and it played terribly for bending so I stuck to the cheap Epi. I probably didn't go into a great amp, just what was in front of me, but I vaguely remember them as more treble and upper-mid focused, and they looked just like a black soap bar P90. They came and went mighty quick.

I think you are remembering wrong. Gibson had already done a few Jr runs in 80-90's. I believe you are confused with the stack humbucker p100. AFAIK no Jr ever had a p60 and it has never been reissued.

J.D.

Here's a reissue version I think:

MrHP3a.jpg

Ed Driscoll

Les Paul Forum Member
I realize the Internet does not yet quite contain the sum of all of man's knowledge*, but if there had indeed been advertising on this in the late '90s or early 2000s, it would likely still appear somewhere on the 'Net -- old music retailer Web pages still online, people referencing the term at places like this site, etc. But that doesn't appear to be the case:

https://www.google.com/search?q=gibson+"P-60"&ei=EP94WaXAF-rV0gKbxLUI&start=10&sa=N&biw=1365&bih=667

This page appears to contain a typo; it references P-60s in the beginning, but the specs below clearly say P-90s:

http://chainsawguitartuition.net/gibson-sg-tribute-60s-review/

* The sum of all of mankind's cat and dog photos, on the other hand... :laugh2:

garywright

This page appears to contain a typo; it references P-60s in the beginning, but the specs below clearly say P-90s:

"If 6 Was 9"

Yeah, sing the song, Bro'

If the sun refuse to shine,
I don't mind, I don't mind,
If the mountains fell in the sea,
let it be, it ain't me.
Alright, 'cos I got my own world to look through,
And I ain't gonna copy you.

Now if 6 turned out to be 9,
I don't mind, I don't mind,
Alright, if all the hippies cut off all their hair,
I don't care, I don't care.
Dig, 'cos I got my own world to live through
And I ain't gonna copy you.

White collared conservative flashing down the street,

Pointing their plastic finger at me.
They're hoping soon my kind will drop and die,
But I'm gonna wave my freak flag high, high.
Wave on, wave on
Fall mountains, just don't fall on me
Go ahead on Mr. Business man, you can't dress like me.
Sing on Brother, play on drummer.