The Fender Forum
NEW! LPF Facebook Page
LilyPix
Merchandise & Donations
NEW! Burst Serial Log Home Page
LPF Homesite

Charlie Daniels' Stolen Burst

Last edited by MHGOLDTOP; 03-29-04 at 07:15 AM.

I heard about a C Daniels burst that was stolen years back, from J Rolph. How long ago was it stolen?

Nice!
    Is it just my eyes, or does that bridge look to be set unusually far back from the treble pickup, and close to the tailpiece?

-Pete

All Access/Backstage Pass Mark Kane's Avatar
    doesn't look like there is much angle to the bridge. Pearly Gates looks that way too.
    "Buried Alive in the Blues"

When I checked out Charlie's "Burst" [over 20 years ago] I didn't think it was quite right. It didn't look like a real Burst. I was not in a situation where I could even open up the control cavity, so I got little more that a quick look.
    Pauls to the walls!

Hüter der Flammen!

PLEASE SUPPORT www.burstserial.com !!
    Click here: www.burstserial.com

I agree about that bridge...awfully straight. I don't know anything more about this guitar.

A stone's throw from Malibu... if you throw REALLY hard! I mean REALLY hard!
    Originally posted by 58burst
    Is it just my eyes, or does that bridge look to be set unusually far back from the treble pickup, and close to the tailpiece?

Originally posted by 58burst
    Nice!

-Pete
    I'd guess that it's the treble pickup that's mounted too far away from the bridge. Otherwise, the guitar would be impossible to intonate. Maybe they goofed on the routing and just said "Ah, the heck with it".

photo detail

All burst tops are so individual due to their grain pattern. Can anyone enhance that photo in photoshop (or the like) and bring out the grain more?

Does anybody have any other close up photos?

Anyone have an old Guitar Player magazine interview with CD concerning his les paul, what year it is, etc.?

Last edited by MHGOLDTOP; 03-29-04 at 07:15 AM.

yup re-necked in the 70's( gibson might of moved the bridge) didn't he get that back?i'm almost certain he did........by the way charlie left it in the back seat of his vw beetle!!!!! when it was stolen.... 2 2 2

Looks like a nice 1960............drat!!

Last edited by MHGOLDTOP; 03-29-04 at 07:16 AM.

24loar
    I recall reading the original article in GP years ago. CD said that
    " I know it's a '58 sunburst", However, the picture on the cover looks different than the one posted here. He got the guitar at The OldTime Pickin' Parlor in Nashville years ago.

The knobs are definitely not from '58 on the posted pic, and the top color and grain differ significantly from the original GP cover.

i'm still pretty sure he got it back.;) in an interview years later he said he retired her and gibson made him some reissues to go out on the road with.... ;)
    Last edited by 1959burst; 11-18-03 at 10:27 AM.

Les Paul Forum Member Johnnytone's Avatar

Re: photo detail

Last edited by Johnnytone; 11-18-03 at 11:00 AM.

Les Paul Forum Member Johnnytone's Avatar
    Last edited by Johnnytone; 11-18-03 at 11:11 AM.

Johnnytone enhanced photo

Nice work Johnnytone!! It's like getting a new pair of glasses and being able to see again. Note the roughly 45 degree angle of the medullary grain heading to the bridge pickup volume knob and the flamey area to the left of the bridge and stop tail piece. This is a pretty clear fingerprint of this guitars' top. Now we need some burst detectives to match this one up. Maybe Charlie himself will reply if he indeed has it or not. Keep looking for now and stay tuned! Thanks Johnnytone and MHGoldtop!

Here's a shot of Charlie Daniels Les Paul, from Oct 1980. It doesn't look like the same guitar to me.

I hope this comes out, this thread seems to be stuck.
    Last edited by TW59; 11-18-03 at 05:04 PM.
    Pauls to the walls!

Hüter der Flammen!

TW , I agree they look nothing alike...interesting...

Originally posted by MHGOLDTOP
    Glad you can see it, it won't show for me. Just a blank area.
    Pauls to the walls!

Hüter der Flammen!

In the Zone/Backstage Pass Nelson F's Avatar
    Originally posted by MHGOLDTOP
    Hmm*~* hey Mikey are you the nu CZAR :duh ??? :duh

The burst photo from, Oct '80

This photo is most likely not the stolen burst we're searching for. The dated letter is March 28, 1980 and it states that the guitar was stolen several months earlier. I let him know about this forum and thread and am hoping he will join and post comments about this thread.

Due to computer trouble I was having with this thread, I missed the post of the date.
    I will double check my date, but it should be correct as October, 1980. So, it would be a different guitar.
    Sorry about the poor quality picture. At least you all missed the shot of "hippy" Tom holding it. ;)
    Pauls to the walls!

Hüter der Flammen!

CDB Management Informed

CDB Management was informed on Thurs . the 20th. We should have a thread update from them soon. Stay tuned on this thread here. There is a good photo of the Guitar Player Issue with CD on the cover in a seperate thread. It does appear to be the guitar we're searching for. The enhanced photo from MHGoldtop and Johnnytone is the best photo of it so far.

It would be nice if he could recover it. 23 years is a long time, though. But then again look at the Ed King situation...

Originally posted by Dave Paetow
    It would be nice if he could recover it. 23 years is a long time, though. But then again look at the Ed King situation...
    If there is an internet site that could locate this guitar, this would be it!! It would be nice if we keep looking for Charlie's guitar. At todays prices, it should turn up on the market soon. If this forum is helpful in its' recovery, I'm sure some big bucks would be donated to help keep this forum going. Thanks for a great website and for your help Dave and Lily!!!

i still think he recovered it, someone should check to see if it is still missing first....................... doncha think?

Still missing and out there somewhere

Charlie emailed me back today, Monday November 24, 2003 and let me know that the guitar was never recovered! He does not have it and has not seen it since early 1980. This info is hot off the press and is as current of info as you can get. This info is truthful and accurate. I'll forward the reply to MHGoldtop for forum confirmation. Keep looking for it and happy hunting. It is a wanted burst! Reward for its' recovery. Notify this forum if seen please. Thanks!

Re: Charlie Daniels' Stolen Burst

Sorry for bringing up an old thread, but I was watching the volunteer jam from the 70's & it appeared that Charlie was using a 60's burst... was just trying to get some more info...
    back where it all begins...

Re: Charlie Daniels' Stolen Burst

Quote Originally Posted by TW59 View Post
    When I checked out Charlie's "Burst" [over 20 years ago] I didn't think it was quite right. It didn't look like a real Burst. I was not in a situation where I could even open up the control cavity, so I got little more that a quick look.
    Well, when I used to hang around with Chris Derrig at Atlanta Guitar Works back in the day, he showed me a LP clone he made for CD that as I recall was fairly well known about. I know Chris was trying to be hush-hush about the deal at the time because he was going to try passing it off as the real thing which at the time seemed pretty lame to my teenage brain but I believe the way it all played out was that CD was fully aware that it was a fake but liked it so much that he kept it. Maybe somebody here remembers some more of the details about this as well but I'm sure that was the axe that CD played out with quite a bit at that time. Sorry but no pics or documentation to back it up so you'll just have to take it for what it's worth.