• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

for newbies only (under 200 posts) what model LP and amp do you play the most and why

Jahnli

Well I posted my LP in the introduction subforum, but here's a chance to show my main amp too. The 1972 Les Paul Custom 1954 Reissue, with the 1966 Fender Pro Reverb. Just a Lava coily cable going straight at the moment, the pedalboard comes in when needed. This Blackface amp has enough iron to handle the very strong signal from this neck staple pickup - plenty of beef but also clarity, no mud. In some ways, the bridge P-90 even though it sounds more strident, doesn't sound as distinct as the staple. The staple is my fave single coil pickup, bar none, and the Pro Reverb does it justice. That said, it's fun to set it in the middle position, get some cutting quack, then plug the pedals in with it and have some nice freakouts.

lpamp-e1466619327662.jpg

4pie

i LOVE that setup janhli!!! i wouldn't be a p90 guy on that guitar myself but i actually was unaware they made custom p90s... also love to see a memory man on a pedal board. a memory boy is the only thing i plug into. acts like a boost/reverb/delay/chorus/vibro all in one pedal.
the amp is exactly what im looking for also!

rick c

'87 Les Paul Custom, Marshall 6100LE, Axe FX II XL+, Yamaha THR10X.

Can't beat a Les Paul through a Marshall stack but to keep neighbours happy the THR10X rocks and the Axe FX is inspiring.

chris.gotfunk

As a total noob here on this forum, I'm also a noob and a proud new owner of a 2016 Standard Historic 1958 Reissue VOS in Lemonburst. I've dabbled in guitar for about 25 years, but I'm primarily a bass player and recently decided to dive in deeper to the guitar world. So, I ended up to the conclusion that if I'm going to do this, I should get (what I consider to be) the pinnacle of axes. And, I could not be happier. This guitar has exactly what I hear and what I want to feel when I play.

I had never purchased an amp (even though I've had an Epiphone LP since '97) until a couple weeks ago. I walked into that well know big box guitar shop to pickup a Fender Bassbreaker. As I was walking around, they had some amps they were blowing out. I look down and see a cool Fender Ramparte for $349. Not a deal, but right next to it was a DV Mark DV40 1x12 2-channel combo for the same price... Brand new. I knew I wanted tube and I knew I wanted a 12" speaker, so I gave it whirl. Took me about 3 minutes to realize that amp had exactly what I was looking for and more. The 2-channel aspect is killer. Gives me that bluesy clean Fender-ish tone without the really harsh highs and the dirty channel has Plexi-ish tone that I adore as well. So, it was a total win-win. I thought the price was an error, so I asked them to double check before I get my heart set on it and it was true. Brand new, never owned killer amp for $349! Here's how they look together.

And here's my new girl.

Supronaut

I play a Les Paul Trad Plaintop in Cherry through a Supro Black Magick and a Fargen Custom Plexi Combo in stereo. Pickups switched out to Wizz PAF's, RS guitarworks vintage wiring setup and aluminum bridge/tailpiece.

Amps are stock, I run a Vox HW Wah, a 69mkII Fuzz, and a pair of EP Boosters. Gets me 99% of where I want to go!

Bucker

I'm playing a 2003 Les Paul Standard (stock with BB Pros) through a mid-90s Fender Custom Vibrolux Reverb. I like effects, but not with Les Pauls, which I usually plug straight into the amp. I might add my Maxon Ad80 for some delay.

captainvideo

I play a 2016 r8 through a 65 bandmaster or a 65 super reverb. Thinking about getting a Marshall. Long time lurker here. Cool thread!

mattnew33

'68RI + Mesa Boogie Mark IV

Though.. both are brand new to me so these are recent additions :)

zjovQhfhncBgKvcG6wKmrMzzj-2qZt-wbYnfcBEQJrDcOKN3Ve1sIwMSPmlA0parlKGTOTyWM7NUp9Ab1Ve1fJ-lUaOO6LxakFPB4jHX387ZKyrHNYG_RTT5HC7SCjTnyOkN3Lf-9p-Dlilc6OMRjsU0XBOTXqweNC5aywh2wlhfaz2lDBrbNHOvKdR7ooK0LJ5E8DnEDdPU94INRoNa6w97NNoekjewn6WQ0sZ8RV7q2I_-Tybt9Y_65qyUToOTvy-mdtk1eCL-JM5LVh_nlYQj2VyqM0A8YoZK6OIjNx_2nUw8DEaADPpyXHyvYfo9Ci8uHvc-oTg1dmsHHne74hxoxibPZNw2ooDf4JWu2MnVtGif9WtzNp1t8VutHD2H9rhF5HsSEZuvW8e4j7shOEobz4pnY6OfvtH5PsLbD2V6-g0V3pohpZxoTvgij_eaEzEYjzl1zsYzdUcXqq7cBHJ3-7WjHED7sAT6-0coAPsGfVjce6yHgcAtuyRR8YYIQm1ScORaf6wG3A74OVDS4HtBrlOUPlsBJFEQR_UgISeuKx-07ByEFpsT0r7NF1tIhCQ9PeHEKlwavMVds9YbPNP8x2-SWWA0AZ5vtSrzf5OYVMcn-A=w454-h807-no

Wams

My standby would be my stock 72 LP Custom, but lately I have found the perfect settings on my Marshall Class 5 head through two Marshall c110 cabinets (y cabled) for my 1998 LP Classic.

https://Flic.kr/p/JjCUFQ

Last edited:

jrmercado

Just got a 2014 gibson lp classic on my fender deluxe reverb reissue. My first gibson and I am still figuring the best tone. any suggestion? I am looking to nail the tone of since ive been loving you.

magne-tone

My 1992 Classic has been played through a Bassman clone, Marshall Bluesbreaker, '80's Concert (12" EV), Blankenship Champ-style head (through 1x12 homemade cabinet w/ Celestion AlNiCo Blue) and a Blues Junior.

I would prefer to play through a 1987 and a more original sounding Bluesbreaker. I sold the BB pictured since it did not sound much different than my Bassman, even though I put a different hand wired board into it.

bb01.jpg

lp9201.jpg

lp9202.jpg

magne-tone

As a total noob here on this forum, I'm also a noob and a proud new owner of a 2016 Standard Historic 1958 Reissue VOS in Lemonburst. I've dabbled in guitar for about 25 years, but I'm primarily a bass player and recently decided to dive in deeper to the guitar world. So, I ended up to the conclusion that if I'm going to do this, I should get (what I consider to be) the pinnacle of axes. And, I could not be happier. This guitar has exactly what I hear and what I want to feel when I play.

I had never purchased an amp (even though I've had an Epiphone LP since '97) until a couple weeks ago. I walked into that well know big box guitar shop to pickup a Fender Bassbreaker. As I was walking around, they had some amps they were blowing out. I look down and see a cool Fender Ramparte for $349. Not a deal, but right next to it was a DV Mark DV40 1x12 2-channel combo for the same price... Brand new. I knew I wanted tube and I knew I wanted a 12" speaker, so I gave it whirl. Took me about 3 minutes to realize that amp had exactly what I was looking for and more. The 2-channel aspect is killer. Gives me that bluesy clean Fender-ish tone without the really harsh highs and the dirty channel has Plexi-ish tone that I adore as well. So, it was a total win-win. I thought the price was an error, so I asked them to double check before I get my heart set on it and it was true. Brand new, never owned killer amp for $349! Here's how they look together.

And here's my new girl.

I like that.

I would ask you to tell me how the R8 compares to any other current Les Paul offering, but as you mentioned, this is your first.

What a beautiful "first" guitar!

mbsurfer

2016 Les Paul Standard through an Avid Eleven Rack signal processor. Currently I'm not using any guitar amplifiers.

Last edited:

PajeroJonas

2016 Gibson Les Paul Studio or a 1989 Charvel Predator through a V-Amp2 or a MetalZone and to end this low budget bedroom rig, a Yamaha G100-212II amp.

Detector

Guitar: 2014 120th Anniversary Standard Plus Heritage Cherry Sunburst. I love the Heritage Cherry Sunburst look. I got the 2014 to give the ability to change the pups and other special options a try. Great playing and sounding guitar.

Amp: Peavey Vypyr 30w is my most used amp. I like modeling amps because I do 100% of my playing and recording through my PC. I can get a great variety of amp, pedal and other sounds.