• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Epiphone rewire, did something wrong?

DRRI

Huge pain in the a** but I made it a little easier and ordered a prewired kit from Mojotone, however when all was said and done the cap going from the neck volume to the neck tone came loose and I had to resolder it... hence my problem.... Got everything installed and the neck tone doesn't work..... I did test everything out before attempting to install and everything worked fine so I know it was working OK..... I would have retested after soldering the cap back But at that point I was almost finished and didn't want to start all over......Think I just didn't solder back good enough?

Doesn't bother me if that's the case, especially knowing what I'd have to do to correct it, don't use the neck tone knob anyway. Just curious if that's what might have happened.

fakejake

Maybe you overheated and broke the cap by keeping the soldering iron on for too long? Happened to me before I bought a decent and powerful enough soldering iron...

DRRI

Man I hope not, I'd hate to waste that cap... Guess I'll find out when I tear into it again (prob never! LOL)

DRRI

Suppose I could but I see I left a very important detail out in my post..... It's a Sheraton..... So at this point it's not worth the hassle of trying to correct it, maybe one day.

tubejockey

It's probably more likely that you broke a lead off the pot or cap while trying to shoehorn the harness through an F-hole. My best advice to you is get some dental floss to pull the pots into position gently. Soldering the cap to a pot in a solid, secure way first is a must. Good luck.

El Gringo

This is exactly why I sent my Les Paul out to have this procedure done by a tech .

DRRI

This is exactly why I sent my Les Paul out to have this procedure done by a tech .

I wouldn't have had the issue if it were a LP model, that would have been just a simple drop in... Reason why it broke was me having to fish everything through the F-Holes. This guitar ain't exactly a main player for me so I didn't want to spend the money, it's a good learning experience. I'll fix it one day when I get bored. :hee