• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

RIP John Abercrombie

fakejake

One of my heros! Thanks for all the beautiful music and educational material!
He had this exercise of improvising over a song using just one string. I practiced that mental stuff for hours, really great to get to know the fretboard horizontally...
Just recently it was Holdsworth and now him, both went way too soon.

Foggy72

John Laird Abercrombie was an American jazz guitarist, composer and bandleader. His work explored jazz fusion, post bop, free jazz and avant-garde jazz. Abercrombie studied at Berklee College of Music in Boston, Massachusetts. He was 72.

Big Al

I met him in Santa Barbara in the late 70's. He was so cool and funny. We bonded over a shared love of old Melody Makers. He was miles beyond me in every way, yet he made me feel so comfortable and and easy to hang with. I wil miss him but forever remember him. John, I stil use the stuff you showed me and the attitude for the quest. RIP Brother.

S a m

Hero of my mid-70s youth. (Yep, I was a weird youth!)

And iconic Les Paul player:

e45d8edfd79d9e3dc3f706ceb1407842.jpg

From the left: John Scofield (ES335/12), Steve Khan (HSH Strat), Bill Connors (Strat) and John Abercrombie (LP Goldtop Deluxe). "That was supposed to be my forever guitar," Abercrombie told me.