• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Showdown: 2017 Standards VS 2015 True Historics

ONEHERO

What do you think: if both were at the same
exact price- which would you choose and why?

Personally I still would go for the 2015 as they're rare and were picked by EW and RG
Also they were the closest to actual vintage guitars

Note: 2017 are now called standards (although they have SOME TH components)

Ace139

I would lean towards the '15 - but then would wind up buying the one that worked best for me considering, play, tone, looks and price and maybe not in that order.

CAGinLA

They're virtually the same guitars - only minor differences between them. Can't go wrong with either.

JEDHRMC

All other things being *equal*, I would get the TH because I like the thinner finishes better and lower profile (depth) frets. That's why I got TWO!... a 15 (lemon) and a 16 Darkburst - both '59s, used, mint, for about the same as or slightly more than recent year R9s.

HOWEVER... it does come down to the guitar, how it rings, plays and sounds.

renderit

What do you think: if both were at the same
exact price- which would you choose and why?

Personally I still would go for the 2015 as they're rare and were picked by EW and RG
Also they were the closest to actual vintage guitars

Note: 2017 are now called standards (although they have SOME TH components)

Whichever I liked best at the time. We each have our own reasons for what we like. I am glad I don't have to buy any more though. But I could...

Lebond

Hopefully my next Les Paul will be a 2015 True Historic. One of the main reasons being that the 2017 Standards aren't available in Vintage Cherry Sunburst.

Also my 2015 VDB TH59 is an amazing guitar, you can see the extra care and attention to detail in the finish, especially the fretboard, it is flawless!

ONEHERO

^^ Yeah I was bummed that 2017 only offered "washed" cherry :bigal .....or Tobacco :dang
I much preferred the Vintage Cherry and the Darkburst (both have that deep rich red)

MA Pete

That is true about the Vintage Cherry Sunburst for 2017, not a "Standard" color. But any finish can be ordered through M2M.

I snagged this 2017 M2M stunner within hours of Breaze posting it here last week:

http://www.lespaulforum.com/forum/s...ade-to-Measure-Handpicked-Top-Dark-Cherry-VOS

It is a real beauty!

Has a darker Burst on the bottom, sort of looks like "Donna". In real life it is less "Dark Burst" and more "Vintage Cherry Sunburst".

I haven't experienced any 2015's, but this is my third 2017, and they are all three amazing guitars!

El Gringo

That is true about the Vintage Cherry Sunburst for 2017, not a "Standard" color. But any finish can be ordered through M2M.

I snagged this 2017 M2M stunner within hours of Breaze posting it here last week:

http://www.lespaulforum.com/forum/s...ade-to-Measure-Handpicked-Top-Dark-Cherry-VOS

It is a real beauty!

Has a darker Burst on the bottom, sort of looks like "Donna". In real life it is less "Dark Burst" and more "Vintage Cherry Sunburst".

I haven't experienced any 2015's, but this is my third 2017, and they are all three amazing guitars!
I really love the color .

ONEHERO

It is a real beauty!

wow yours seems to be an exception for 2017!!! Most are in washed cherry but yours are in that 2015 vintage cherry...maybe it was a leftover 2015 TH?
congrats!

MA Pete

wow yours seems to be an exception for 2017!!! Most are in washed cherry but yours are in that 2015 vintage cherry...maybe it was a leftover 2015 TH?
congrats!

No, not a leftover from 2015. The guitar was produced in July of 2017.

I think it has a finish other than the "standard" 2017 finishes as it was done through the M2M program, where you can do a custom order. I didn't order it personally, but it was referenced as a "M2M" guitar with a custom finish. Has a 2017 R9 Serial number.

I feel fortunate to have snagged it! Plays and sounds great too.

ONEHERO

No, not a leftover from 2015. The guitar was produced in July of 2017.

I think it has a finish other than the "standard" 2017 finishes as it was done through the M2M program, where you can do a custom order. I didn't order it personally, but it was referenced as a "M2M" guitar with a custom finish. Has a 2017 R9 Serial number.

I feel fortunate to have snagged it! Plays and sounds great too.

Congrats!
Like I said, i wished they had the darkburst finish for 2017 (different than the brown tobacco burst)
i guess at $5400 with some TH appointments is pretty good!