• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Gibson LP BFG 2007

gdx65

Hi, I have just got a Gibson LP BFG 2007 in cherry red? if that is the color. Quite good condition as always played at home from the previous owner. Any tips how to clean and maintain this type of finish (or non finish)?

I think the kill switch has been removed and installed an additional tone control or maybe Gibson made a run without kill switch as you see in the cataloges from 2007?

Thanks, G.

andy k

I took my similarly modded 07 Black BFG out of the case yesterday for a little love, and was quite surprised how the black seems to me to have faded since i last looked. The top seemed very dry, and I think i last used Gibson pump polish on it. More recently , Ive been using something called 'the original non silicone wood silk' on my oil finished builds, and on a solid rosewood neck, with pretty good results. Its a furniture polish product, and seems quite light-but does leave a gloss finish. I dont think I'd use it on anything with a nitro finish, but on something like the BFG its not a problem, and it smells nice. I've seen the red ones in pictures, and thought they looked quite pink, my preferred colour was the gold one, but I scored the black one pretty cheap and it came already modded with EMG pickups, so its a keeper, although im sure the black has somehow weakened over time. Good luck with yours.
YMMV
cheers
andy k