• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

The Truth About P-90's

mkeditor

I guess that would help. It's a 1996 Gibson Les Paul Special. I installed the Wolfetones last night. I couldn't use the new covers because they didn't fit the pickguard. Also the Wolfetone screws are wood screws and the Gibson ones are machine screws with nuts mounted in the body so I had to used the old ones. That was too bad. The new ones had a lower profile. All in all it was fairly smooth.

IMG_20170729_071229.jpg

20170728_184400.jpg

The tone is not unlike the Gibson stock P90s except the neck was fuller. The best part is the middle position is humbucking.

Any thoughts on the stock pots and capacitors?

IMG_20170729_071416.jpg

Last edited:

P.Walker

Yes... a true troll would...

At any rate, I do look forward to your documentary on logicizing tone though... proving that tone is systemic (or any of that other BS you claim to be fact) rather than subjective might be tricky.... henceforth you can consider yourself ignored, so don't bother responding unless you just want to continue your wank...

Well, I'm sorry to hear that and I'll apologize if I came rude upon my part; I was just looking for an engaging debate.

For one, I wanted a debate not a documentary, I think tone is subjective (as you said) but it is systemic (the whole sum of its parts); it is not a strict hegelian dialectic as you seem to have misunderstood me. I think that if you would read beyond the offensive, you would realize a little that what I said is not 100% bs, even if you may not like or agree with it.

The intention was not to wank, so again I do apologize for the offence that I have caused.

Any thoughts on the stock pots and capacitors?

View attachment 5975

To the OP, sorry for derailing your thread :eek:la

I still think it's important to look beyond just pickups and consider the holistic view of the instrument, that is the p90s are great and all, but it's the combination with the guitar that makes them sound great like they way they do...

As for the innards, you said this was a stock 96 lp special, but I see aftermarket caps and just regular cts pots (also aftermarket).
Were you questioning the originality of the electronic parts or something else?

duaneflowers

Well, I'm sorry to hear that and I'll apologize if I came rude upon my part; I was just looking for an engaging debate.

For one, I wanted a debate not a documentary, I think tone is subjective (as you said) but it is systemic (the whole sum of its parts); it is not a strict hegelian dialectic as you seem to have misunderstood me. I think that if you would read beyond the offensive, you would realize a little that what I said is not 100% bs, even if you may not like or agree with it.

The intention was not to wank, so again I do apologize for the offence that I have caused.

No harm no foul... :salude

I do agree that it is entirely systemic and that one's subjective opinions will extend to each and every component of that system. The trick is to find some common ground... some area that can be called a reference point or foundation on which to build some concrete examples of the differences between the various P 90s. Then perhaps we can gain some understanding of the contrasting tones. Just a thought...

Pellman73

and for what its worth I agree w Duane in that the proof for me is in this pudding

The pickups in the guitar
I hold the guitar
The amp is in front of me

Playing and having that tactile experience of playing the guitar and having that feedback loop of BEING IN THE ROOM with all of it.... that to me PERSONALLY is where its at and it is very hard for me personally to tell much from videos on the internet

but I do think there are people out there like Al and some of you other guys who can really hear the differences from those A/B comparisons and get something out of them.

Of course the scientist in me would say that it should be done in a double blind manner which would be very hard. I do think there is a bias when you want to like something.

these are all such subjective experiential things that are so personal to the listener I just don't understand how there is an argument to be had (how many times could this sentence apply to threads that go into weird places)

I DO also know that those Wizz humbuckers I put in my CC #15 are fu#king badass and bring me joy.... I"M guessing his p90 offerings are nice too

Texas Blues

and for what its worth I agree w Duane in that the proof for me is in this pudding

The pickups in the guitar
I hold the guitar
The amp is in front of me

Playing and having that tactile experience of playing the guitar and having that feedback loop of BEING IN THE ROOM with all of it.... that to me PERSONALLY is where its at and it is very hard for me personally to tell much from videos on the internet

but I do think there are people out there like Al and some of you other guys who can really hear the differences from those A/B comparisons and get something out of them.

Of course the scientist in me would say that it should be done in a double blind manner which would be very hard. I do think there is a bias when you want to like something.

these are all such subjective experiential things that are so personal to the listener I just don't understand how there is an argument to be had (how many times could this sentence apply to threads that go into weird places)

I DO also know that those Wizz humbuckers I put in my CC #15 are fu#king badass and bring me joy.... I"M guessing his p90 offerings are nice too

Well replied with good debate senor.

But lemme' 'splain y'all lucy...

Forget acoustics, the room, the gear, the pup's, guitar, line voltage, whatever...

When I was a young kid I hated the taste of avocados and salmon.

Later on as I got older my taste buds changed and what I earlier disliked I not only liked but even began to crave.

Up until I was about my mid 40's or so I could lay my right hand on the end of nose and see every line.

Within only a coupla' more years I couldn't see my out stretched hand without it being blurry.

I remember back in 1969 when I was in 6th grade that my best friends older sister wore hippy patchouli oil and I thought it smelled like a burnt cat.

Later on in high school I had a class with a little redhead hippy chick I sat next to that reeked of the stuff.

Maybe it was the hippy BO mixed with the aroma of patchouli that somehow shape shifted into something else, I really don't know...

But the smell of her made me harder than penitentiary steel with a head on it like a house cat!

The sound I could hear when I was a young man is much different from what I can hear now.

I definitely don't hear higher frequencies as I used to even though I have always used hearing protection with any 'thang louder than a sewing machine.

I have commented before on the forum that on monday I can pick up the guitar and to me it rocks harder than chinese arithmetic.

On tuesday I go into the same room, same guitar, same amp settings, same ever dang 'thang and IT SOUNDS LIKE SHINOLA!!!!

I'm no 'gubment funded scientist with a star trek wham wham and zuzu that detects and records air density, temperature, and the earths magnetic field.

So leaving out the Bill Nye the Science Guy crap, I can only come to the conclusion that...its me.

The drummer hears this...

The bass player hears that....

I tell 'em both "screw you....I'm a guitar player!"

So back to this p90 'thang....

I can give anyone my opinion on what I like.

But I can't hear for anyone other than myself.

Then again...

It doesn't matter how old you are, who you are, or what faculties you possess...

Bacon smells pretty fucking good sizzling away in a pan.

Have mercy.

Reactions: KoP

Pellman73

Forget acoustics, the room, the gear, the pup's, guitar, line voltage, whatever...

Later on as I got older my taste buds changed and what I earlier disliked I not only liked but even began to crave.

Up until I was about my mid 40's or so I could lay my right hand on the end of nose and see every line.

Within only a coupla' more years I couldn't see my out stretched hand without it being blurry.

I remember back in 1969 when I was in 6th grade that my best friends older sister wore hippy patchouli oil and I thought it smelled like a burnt cat.

Later on in high school I had a class with a little redhead hippy chick I sat next to that reeked of the stuff.

Maybe it was the hippy BO mixed with the aroma of patchouli that somehow shape shifted into something else, I really don't know...

But the smell of her made me harder than penitentiary steel with a head on it like a house cat!

The sound I could hear when I was a young man is much different from what I can hear now.

I definitely don't hear higher frequencies as I used to even though I have always used hearing protection with any 'thang louder than a sewing machine.

I have commented before on the forum that on monday I can pick up the guitar and to me it rocks harder than chinese arithmetic.

On tuesday I go into the same room, same guitar, same amp settings, same ever dang 'thang and IT SOUNDS LIKE SHINOLA!!!!

I'm no 'gubment funded scientist with a star trek wham wham and zuzu that detects and records air density, temperature, and the earths magnetic field.

So leaving out the Bill Nye the Science Guy crap, I can only come to the conclusion that...its me.

Then again...

It doesn't matter how old you are, who you are, or what faculties you possess...

Have mercy.

jesus christ that was entertaining as hell

keep em coming man

HAVE MERCY!

mkeditor

As for the innards, you said this was a stock 96 lp special, but I see aftermarket caps and just regular cts pots (also aftermarket).
Were you questioning the originality of the electronic parts or something else?

Interesting. So you're saying they've been replaced. Do you think these are a good choice?

duaneflowers

Then again...

Have mercy.

And its poetic responses like that, my friends, making valid, concrete points while waxing nostalgic and taking jabs at the establishment, that make Tejas one of the koolest kats around... :salude

P.Walker

Interesting. So you're saying they've been replaced. Do you think these are a good choice?

Yes. The non-embossed potentiometers plus the caps and wires, and the burn mark on the black shielding material suggests someone other than gibson has been in there. As long as the pots read how you want them to read, the taper is fine, and the cap values are how you want them to be, I'd suggest they're last on the parts you may want to replace.

MapleFlame

Did a quick video of vintage 50's P90's comparing in a 54 Wraptail LP, 56 refin ABR-1 LP and a 63 330 with 50's P90's and a tuned down strat just to throw everything off. No I didn't redo the video, one take whether I made a mistake or not. Playing through a 53 Super with 3 octal 6SC7 version. I have many other P90's guitars and a 50's LP with ThroBaks. Jr's, Specials etc... Anyone you want to see let me know.

<iframe width="1920" height="1080" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/jZH1jRwslDE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

mkeditor

Thanks for making the video. I liked the goldtop the best but the 330 was close. I'd love to see the goldtop compared with the Throbak's.

Pellman73

cool video man!

yea I dug that 330 too

I like your room of guitar and amp destruction too.

Perregrintuk

I also love P90s for what they are. I'm using a Burny Les Paul Special and my awesome 59' Les Paul Junior DC.

P90s are giving you a very honest and straight sound. They are more complex than Humbuckers and a little more touch sensitive, so features for what people making PAFs so hard to achieve in specs. P90 have that naturally.

Good winders are not that easy. I can tell that I tried WIZZ P90, Throbak, Lollar, Fralin, SD Antiquity and Gibson P90.

The worst was the WIZZ P90 with A3, dead and flat and boring. Sold it right away. No thrills here. The Lollar were too modern and "hifi", but clear and nice if you look for clean easy PUs. THorbaks were good, pretty much like they should be. Antiquity where also great, but the string spacing was deemed to use the SD cover, which looks not good imho. Gibson P90 to midrange and honky, and overpowered.

Much prefer the older Japanese P90s, they are spot on vintage sounding. All of them are between 6k-7,5k.

renderit

Then again...

Have mercy.

So endith the lesson. The Book of Blues Chapter 1 : Verse 4, Kansas State 55 : Charlotte 7

sansa

Could you elaborate on this? Maybe it's hard to make generalizations, but I'm very curious. I have a 57 Jr, and have played a couple of 57's and 58's and loved every guitar (with their respective pickup, of course). How do the earlier versions compare in your opinion?

As for the P-90 vs. humbucker thing, I think you kind of have to "learn" how to use them properly (doesn't take long though). Turning the vol pot down (or switching to a dead pup) during quiet parts or between songs isn't something that everybody does for some reason, and maybe the hum is off putting for them. And then there are spots you can stand in where the hum is lower than other spots, and that may be inconvenient. And of course, many people prefer the tone of humbuckers. IMO, P-90's are hard to beat, probably the best allround pup there is.
hey sissy I'm sorry to reopen this discussion. I'm really curious about p90s but never experienced a really annoying hum with them. maybe the p90s I tried were with hum canceling. in your experience the hum is a real problem or not? I would like to understand which kind of pickup to buy. thanks