• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

2017 Standard T - Bridge Pickup Issue?

AJ Rimmer

Dear all

Hi there! I'm new to the forum. It was recommended that I post a question here as I was told that you are a knowledgable lot. So here goes...

I recently purchased a 2017 T Les Paul and am experiencing an issure with the bridge pickup. When playing around with the tone and volume pots, investigating all of the sounds within; it seems to occasionally mute or cut off the bridge pick up. I originally took it back to the retailer who couldn't find an issue with it, but I'm just wondering whether I'm activating some kind of 'mute' function involuntarily. A quick press of one of the controls seems to bring the pick up back online so to speak.

Has anyone else experienced anything similar? I just want to make sure that the guitar doesn't have a fault.

Many thanks in advance!

Zentar

Intermittence can be tough to locate but to start with I'd keep it simple.

Remove the jack plate from the body and visually verify it has good contact. You'd be surprised how many sonic issues derive from here.
Take off the back cavity plate and hit the affected pots(rear pots) with a tiny hit of aerosol electronics cleaner.
Visually inspect for any shorts like wires touching or trash-like foil on the PCB like a screw rolling around..

Note all your control settings if this happens again. See if you can get the problem down to a single pot or pup. The idea is to continually narrow the components to a single one which is affected.

Last remove the pickup and see if anything is stuck to the pickup by magnetism. (screws etc)

If you have an extra pup try substituting.

I'd even check the pup for DCR with a meter.

Keep an open mind. Don't get fixated on one area only to find it's the wrong area.