• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

If ya had to put a gun to my head and say "what is your favorite song"?

Pellman73

Not really a "guitar song" per se, but "If ya had to put a gun to my head and say 'what is your favorite song?'", I'd have to go with the Beatles' "Strawberry Fields Forever." Incredible atmosphere, haunting lyrics, and George Martin's production techniques set the stage for "Sgt. Pepper" and influenced the next 20 years of music. (I'm sure young Jimmy Page was listening to Martin's techniques when outlining what he might be able to could do if he ever had his own band to produce...)

There's a segment on Martin in PBS's recent "Soundbreaking" series in which Tony Visconti, David Bowie's frequent producer, says "You know, until then, I thought I can be a rock star -- I want to be a rock star. I want to be on stage, I want to have the girls screaming at me; I want all that stuff -- I want a limo and everything. [But after hearing George Martin's production skills] I wanted to be George Martin!" They're on full display here, in one of his and the Beatles' finest moments.

But thank God I don't have to boil things down to one song! Variety in playing, songwriting and production is what music listening is all about.

Sadly, the above YouTube clip is audio only, but the full video of the 1992 documentary "The Making of Sgt. Pepper" is online here: http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x1k6a58_the-making-of-sgt-pepper-1992_music

Martin's comments on "Strawberry Fields" occur at about seven minutes in.

rainy day here in NC. I think I"ll check that out!

Cliff Gress

Add another vote for Sanctuary!

Of course it's not really possible to have only one favorite.

A couple that fight for that spot:

Jimi's 1983..A Merman... or any of a dozen Jimi songs the family won't let me post. :dang

AC/DC's Ride On and Ain't No Fun Waiting 'Round to be a Millionaire.

Another Girl, Another Planet. Only Ones are a killer band.

marshall1987

The Outlaws...........Green Grass and High Tides

Outlaws - Green Grass And High Tides - 11/10/1978 - Capitol Theatre (Official)

<iframe width="854" height="480" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/hIaS_vYIQ_A" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

montesada

Hey, that was pretty cool! Thanks for linking. :dude:

You're welcome!
This was a MegaHit here in Canada. Listen all the way to the end for full effect. The guitar solo builds extremely well, in a similar way to great sex.

Elmore

I'd say its probably The Night They Drove Dixie Down by the band.

not sure why, but I'd go with that.

anyhow I felt like making sure that if you liked that song you have seen and heard it covered here. Hadn't heard this version but it made all the hairs stand up on the back of my neck when I did and... wanted to share.

and below it I'm throwing in Tedeschi Trucks doing "Anyday". top 10 favorite too. Susan Tedeschi's voice is the most effortless thing in this and the way she does kind of a downward thing with her mouth... then watches her man slay the guitar.... its just so great and I'm obsessed w this video.

note the guy watching them on the side of the stage who seems to enjoy it. (not bill murray... who is there too!)

Pellman73, if you like Tedechi Trucks, you have to see this one. This is my favorite by them:

<iframe width="854" height="480" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/RRipadkd6wk?list=RDRRipadkd6wk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Pellman73

Pellman73, if you like Tedechi Trucks, you have to see this one. This is my favorite by them:

<iframe width="854" height="480" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/RRipadkd6wk?list=RDRRipadkd6wk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen=""></iframe>

thank you! that is freaking awesome how they are all crammed in there. and they sound amazing. can you imagine being in that room?
I'm not ashamed to say I probably would have cried just a little from being overwhelmed by it all. maybe just a lump in my throat.

yes I am getting more and more psyched about them. her voice makes the hair stand up on the back of my neck. she's like bonnie raitt on steroids or something.

BTW this just in ! man do any of you have one of these Betts SG reissues? add it to my list. dang thats a cool guitar.