• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Why are we still doing Daylight savings time?

J T

It's just another annoyance it seems.

Back to another hour of darkness in the morning for awhile. ugh.

But DST is now eight months out of the year.

Why not just do away with standard time, or Savings time altogether and just do one or the other?:jim

I just fail to see the point of it.:##

DvnLesPaul

All Access/Backstage Pass
I absolutely hate it. i'd love to see social media start a groundswell of opposition that would abolish it.

J T

Yeah what exactly are the "savings"?

The alternative is to move to Arizona.:jim

GreenBurst

The main purpose of Daylight Saving Time is to make better use of daylight. We change the clocks during the summer months to move an hour of daylight from the morning to the evening.

CoyotesGator

DST, not Gator approved.

It is a ridiculous holdover from a bygone era serving no logical purpose in today's global economy.

Did my cats sleep an hour less Monday morning?

No, it just added an extra WTF look from them when they realized I fed them early.

Will they sleep an hour later in the fall?

Heck no, and I won't either.

Zentar

DST gives you more daylight after work. I love it. Where do people come up with these silly ideas to outlaw common sense from our lives?

Foggy72

The main purpose of Daylight Saving Time is to make better use of daylight. We change the clocks during the summer months to move an hour of daylight from the morning to the evening.

I believe they have done studies on energy usage on DST and found the savings were extremely small. However you can't quantify the disruption to people's circadian rhythms, their quality of sleep. There are more accidents on the Monday after DST. We have a province up here in Canada that doesn't change (Saskatchewan). The days grow longer naturally and then less so as winter comes. No abrupt changes.

Tom Wittrock

Les Paul Forum Co-Owner
I like it. Never bothers me and I enjoy the extra daylight in the evening versus early morning.

I don't lose an hour of sleep, because I wait to change my clocks until I have been up a few hours.
Plus, I do gain an hour of sleep in the fall by changing them before I go to bed.
:salude

Ed Driscoll

Les Paul Forum Member
I blame the Stonecutters.
smiley_emoticon.gif

Dave P

Just leave it the same year round. It screws up my sleep cycle for 2 weeks usually after changing.

daze

Would be much better to implement DST in winter when we naturally have less daylight. Wouldn't matter if it was dark an hour longer in the morning in winter and we'd have an "extra hour" of daylight in the evening. It would give everyone more daylight after regular business hours for the majority of the year Would be a much better idea IMHO

renderit

Would be much better to implement DST in winter when we naturally have less daylight. Wouldn't matter if it was dark an hour longer in the morning in winter and we'd have an "extra hour" of daylight in the evening. It would give everyone more daylight after regular business hours for the majority of the year Would be a much better idea IMHO

DING DING DING! We have a winner! That's the question I always asked...

Tom Wittrock

Les Paul Forum Co-Owner

It matters a lot to school children, for one. :ganz

daze

Tom,
well.. that depends on what time schools starts. Where I live, on the shortest day of the year (June 21st) the sun rises at 7:00am and sets at 4:54pm. It is light a good 45 mins before the sun actually breaks over the horizon and gets fully dark around 6:00pm. School starts at 9:00am and finishes at 3:00pm Kids are not traveling to school in the dark on their own and still wouldn't if clocks were wound forward an hour at the autumn/fall equinox. If you had a school holiday period for the shortest two weeks of the year that would solve the problem of traveling to school in low light. Kids would have an extra hour of daylight after school from autumn equinox to spring equinox for after school afternoon outdoor physical activity. Might go along way to help with the obesity epidemic by getting kids off their arses and away from the TV/PC/laptop/iPad/phone/game console screens.

Last edited:

daze

I like it. Never bothers me and I enjoy the extra daylight in the evening versus early morning.

You'd have an extra hour of daylight in the evening for the majority of the year if DST was from Fall equinox to Spring equinox :salude

jhmp

maybe there's hope that we'll return to an agrarian lifestyle.
-people were healthier!