• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

am i crazy or...

4pie

my girlfriend rented me a les paul traditional cherry burst at Long & Mcquade (Canada's Guitar Center) for a month for my birthday, guitar of my dreams. I opened up the case there she was in all its glory, flawless finish. first thing right out the box the thing needed truss rod adjustement, tune-o-matic adjustement, pickups adjustement, intonation adjustement. i get that fixed, plug it in i realize the neck volume isnt working as it acts as a tone instead of a volume. so next day i bring it back to the shop and end up talking with the manager (average guitar shop douche) he picks up the guitar to check it out, plugs it into a high end Two rock turns it on waits like 30 seconds for "lamps to warmup" then starts to mess around with eqs and channels to find out that yes in fact the neck volume isnt working. He turns to be and goes So what's the problem? this isn't keeping you from playing it. I looked at him like are you serious? thats a 2500$ guitar that i pay you guys 150$ just for a chance to tuch it and a volume knob not working is "perfectly fine? he ended up being pissed and switching it for me.

i mean am i being any kind of deresonable here?

J T

Well when you return it in a month, just tell him, Thanks for your help. Now I know what kind of experience I will get if I buy my new Gibson Les Paul here. I'm going somewhere else for that. Good day! ;)

CoyotesGator

Wait, what?

Rent a guitar for a month?

That wouldn't work for me.

It would be like bringing a stray kitten home.

There would be bonding and attachment.

Even the most roached guitars have a forever home here.

:##

renderit

Yeah, that might, like, be good for a marriage but a kitten or a guitar? Nah!

4pie

oh yeah definitely but im a strat player but i love les pauls so much i wanted to try it with my band before buying it. there's a couple things i feel are superior but some stuff really annoys me, the thing keeps going out of tune and the pickup selector is kind of in the way for me. i want to see if i can make it work before dropping 3k on my ultimate guitar next year.

psigh4

4pie - I feel your pain. You would think at a minimum there would be a setup done to the guitar if it is a rental. Seems to me the only way to return the one you finally got is to:

1. Switch both volume and tone pots so they are upside down.
2. Loosen the Truss Rod.
3. Flip the pickup selector switch around (to include the Poker Chip).
4. Tighten the pickups all the way down.
5. Switch the strings so they are opposite (switch strings to left handed for a right handed guitar or the opposite for a left handed guitar.
6. Make sure to tighten the ABR-1 down all the way, top wrap the stop bar and lower the stop bar as far as it will go also!

7. When you return it, remind them that it's exactly the way it was when you got it and it looks okay to you because your a strat guy but the strings didn't sound right even with your amp on.
8. Be friendly and don't forget to wave. :eek:laWalk out of the store and start laughing yourself silly!!!! :hee:spabout:laugh2: Don't forget to get a drink :salude or two :salude:salude afterward :ha as you figure out where else you will get a Gibson because you probably won't be welcomed back to the store where you returned that rental!

:couch

corpse

I have consistently had to widen the slots on LP nuts. They bind. And use pencil lead in them as a lubricant. No problems after that.

4pie

hahaha i agree bringing it back with a ridiculous setup but im more of a guy that would bring it back top notch. i definitely am not going there for the big cash dropping tho.