• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Best way to find a '17 with a good top?

Thundermtn

Ok,

so I've been hunting for a '17 Standard T for a couple months now in bourbon. When Gibson started releasing pics of that finish on their website and much more recently on their FB account I was sold but so far all the guitars I found for sale the color is off b/c without enough red it looks like an end of the bell curve desert burst to me, or the two halves of the top are from different trees, or are not a true AAA top with gaping holes in the flame or have major problems in the side-to-side symmetry.

I know enough about wood no know that it's a natural product and you get what you get to a certain point, so I'm not expecting a perfect bookmatch with custom shop type flames, but I'm seeing tons of in store local Epi's with more acceptable tops. I also know that a little more attention to detail or a $10 upgrade to the blank they are buying would probably fix the problem.

I'm just looking for a decently even top with no holes in the flame and I don't particularly want one that's a super tight dramatic trophy style AAAA flame, just something acceptably nice looking. So what is the best way to find the type of top I'm looking for? Call every dealer with a phone and ask for pics? I'm finding several killer tops in everything BUT bourbon burst. Is there a best way to find this type of top or am I wasting my time?

Thundermtn

I've been keeping an eye on them, so far they have had to best ones. They have a "sold" one that would have worked though lol.

deytookerjaabs

The big movers like GC & Sam Ash don't post theirs online (unless used). So, yeah, you've got to stick to Sweetwater & other dealers who are allowed to post online.

ramaglia375

Sweetwater is a good site.
Also keep an eye on The Music Zoo's website as well. Their a NY based dealer that usually has a good selection of Gibsons.