• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Matrix/Chart/Diagram of the Diffferent LP Models?

OldStrummer

There may be one here, but it's a) not a sticky, as far as I can tell, and b) I'm not sure what to search for in any case.

I own just one Les Paul. It's a fine guitar, but there seems to be a lot of conflicting information as well as opinion on the year/model, so I was curious as to how other LPs stack up.

Just today (I'm writing this on Cyber Monday, 2016) I see on Amazon, of all places, a number of Gibson guitars. And I can't make hide nor hair of the different models. The prices are all over the map, and the descriptions do indicate things like nitrocellulose finish, glued-in necks, etc. For example, what is an M2? Amazon is listing an "exclusive" Gibson USA 2017 M2 with gig bag for $500. Is that a deal, or not? I paid $1,600 for a 2015 LP Classic.

So, I see there are Studio, Traditional, Standard, Tribute, etc. models. I also see Goldtop, Sunburst, Faded T, etc. Who has a comparison chart? How do I find out which model has what neck? Given that prices go from nearly pocket change to sky high, what makes the more expensive Gibsons worth that much?

Sorry if this is a duplicate or nonsense question. I confess that I'm more of a Fender guy, but I do like Gibsons (my 1957 ES-225 is the guitar I cut most of my chops on). I might buy another LP if I can decide whether the instrument is worth the $$ or not.

clearmudd

You could check out the Gibson website Gibson.com, they have build specs and other information that you can compare different models with. :salude

Big Al

I cannot keep up with all the new models and changes year by year. :##:##

sonar

And with the Factory Special Runs (FSR), Custom Shop limited runs and models only sold in particular stores... it's tough on even the most ardent followers.

I lost track with Gibson years ago, so I try to get my LP related info here. Best bet is to find a LP you like and post questions on the forum.