• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Looking for advice on this 1963 SG Junior (potential buy).

StSpider

I've been looking for a DC Junior for quite a while. Unfortunately, they are not so easy to come by in Europe, also considering that I'm looking at a player's guitar (I'm not a collector).

At this point, an SG Junior seems like a good alternative. Afterall, what I'm looking for is a p90 equipped single pickup guitar that is lightweight, has great upper neck access and the strap button behind the neck. I haven't played many vintage SG Juniors (I do have more familiarity with Les Paul Junior on that department), expecially not recently, but they shouldn't be such different beasts and all of the demos I come by make them seem like great guitars.

So this one popped out:

https://reverb.com/it/item/2118332-gibson-sg-junior-1963-cherry-red

Conditions seem quite fantastic and it's close enough that I can check it out in person with a little effort (obviously a massive plus). Price on the low end of the spectrum too.

Does anybody with more experience than me feels like chiming in and share his opinion if this looks like a good deal or not? Maybe there's something not right that I'm unable to spot? I'd really appreciate some feedback.

Thanks a lot guys.

Last edited:

CDaughtry

Les Paul Forum Co-Owner and Moderator
I have one almost exactly like that. It's a 54-60 Junior killer. Best sounding Junior I have. I haven't kept up with prices, but that price seems pretty damn good to me.:jim

renderit

I bought a 63 that turned out to be a 62 after showing it to these guys! Awesome fiddles. Really rock and roll machines. The DC Juniors around 59 are awesome as well but the SG variant different and in a good way. And the p90 in mine is the best I ever heard. No kidding, an owner from another shop was talking about how he wished he bought it when he played it. Mine was 1/2 that price, but pretty beat. Love it to death. I'd do it.

rockabilly69

I've been looking for a DC Junior for quite a while. Unfortunately, they are not so easy to come by in Europe, also considering that I'm looking at a player's guitar (I'm not a collector).

At this point, an SG Junior seems like a good alternative. Afterall, what I'm looking for is a p90 equipped single pickup guitar that is lightweight, has great upper neck access and the strap button behind the neck. I haven't played many vintage SG Juniors (I do have more familiarity with Les Paul Junior on that department), expecially not recently, but they shouldn't be such different beasts and all of the demos I come by make them seem like great guitars.

So this one popped out:

https://reverb.com/it/item/2118332-gibson-sg-junior-1963-cherry-red

Conditions seem quite fantastic and it's close enough that I can check it out in person with a little effort (obviously a massive plus). Price on the low end of the spectrum too.

Does anybody with more experience than me feels like chiming in and share his opinion if this looks like a good deal or not? Maybe there's something not right that I'm unable to spot? I'd really appreciate some feedback.

Thanks a lot guys.
Forum member Professortwang has one of those and he LOVES that guitar. A few days ago we plugged it into an early 50's Supro and it sounded GREAT! I say jump all over that deal:)

garywright

480465746-benstillerdoit.jpg

mingus

I have one almost exactly like that. It's a 54-60 Junior killer. Best sounding Junior I have. I haven't kept up with prices, but that price seems pretty damn good to me.:jim

I have a '63 SG Jr. too and it absolutely kills. The price seems very fair too.

These are the best buys on the vintage market IMHO.

renderit

I got the "original" case for the 62 I have and it is similar but with a reddish interior I think. It is in my rental storage shed. As with most old cardboard cases it smells of mildew and fresh cat...Oh wait! I have pictures! More curve to the case...

OldStrummer

Why is the D string in the photos "bent?" Is it improperly set at the bridge? Saddle?

StSpider

It's only so in the closeup pics of the fretboard. I think the seller is either trying to show the grain of the fretboard or the state of the frets.

latestarter

I love my SG Jr's! And the best two I've ever played have been a '63 and a '64....

Does it have the Les Paul Junior decal? No close ups of the neck area or headstock...can you check that out?

Last edited:

garywright

there is an overhead shot of the headstock that is not a real closeup but it does look like there's no decal

tooold

I have one of the odd '65 white Juniors that got a bound Special neck. Unbelievable guitar.

As mingus said, best buy in vintage guitars out there.

cincyguitar

Even tho I have a 67 Sg Standard and a 89 Sg....I want a vintage style Sg Jr....even a reissue...still looking for a deal

Tom Wittrock

Les Paul Forum Co-Owner
Thanks a lot for the feedback. Can anyone comment on the case? Seller claims it's original, but I've never seen a case like that for a 50s or 60s Gibson solid body. Then again, I'm far from being an expert so I might be off.

https://reverb-res.cloudinary.com/i...co,w_620/v1461341454/jpf7wfv2tccbfeijqcwm.jpg
https://reverb-res.cloudinary.com/i...co,w_620/v1461341478/ngd9or2em9ajzskh0pax.jpg

Sorry to be so late to this thread. That case is definitely not original.
Should have a brown "gator" case.